Where is the hummus?

Options
(If this is a double post, forgive me ... the first one didn't seem to go through ...)

So I haven't had hummus since undergrad, and I didn't like it then. But so many of y'all love it that I'm going to try it again!

The problem is, where in the heck is it in the grocery store?? I don't want to look like an idiot walking around looking for it. It always makes me feel like a brand new wife with a frozen turkey on Thanksgiving morning ... :smile:

Oh - and if you have recommendations, let me know!

Thanks!!

Replies

• wife2mikejh
    Options
    I like the Athenos brand. Usually it will be in the bakery section near the cheeses. Roasted red pepper hummus is so good!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    One store around here has it near the produce, another has it near the deli and yet another keeps it over by the frozen "fake" meat section..........:laugh:

I have to admit that I haven't found a brand that I don't like:flowerforyou:
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    I always get mine in or near the back of the produce section by the fancy cheeses and meats. Sabra Spinach & Artichoke or the chunky original with Pine nuts are my faves by far with Triscuts or Triscut thins....yummy!
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like Sabra brand and most grocery stores around here, including Walmart, keep it in the Deli area.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Red bell pepper hummus is the best! I find in over by the cheeses, sometimes where you find the premade guacamole.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    It's often in the refrigerated case, either near the produce or near the dairy/eggs/cheese/deli meats.
    :love: i am a big fan of Tribe Zesty Lemon hummus - a close 2nd is the Kalamata!

I'm not crazy about things like mayo, etc., so I don't usually put a lot of condiments in sandwiches, but I've been putting hummus in some of my sandwiches to add just a teeny bit more protein.

[heh-heh just saw your comment about the frozen turkey. that's like the time i almost forgot about the bag of giblets in there - luckily found them when i was rinsing and salting the bird!!]
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I like the heat of the 3 pepper blend or the cucumber and dill is great. But then I like it all, LOL. I even like the stuff I make.
  • ardnek77
    Options
    I really like Sabra brand's Supremely Spicy variety. I put it on a whole wheat pita with sliced cucumber and black beans. It's one of my easiest go-to lunches to take to work. Sounded like a weird combination when I was told about it but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a fan of the plain hummus.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I find it near fancy cheese's and meats too. Sometimes near the deli counter or bakery area.

My favorite is guacamole hummus.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's usually near the deli where I shop.

Try different flavors. Sabra is the best I've ever tasted, though they're all good.

I LOVE the roasted red pepper and garlic.
  • 2cassis
    Options
    Where I live, in the Washington, D.C. metro area, it is usually nearthe dairy products. Try it again if it has been a while...Sabra is a good brand and you can find it with roasted red peppers or pine nuts added. With Special K crackers, it is a pretty healthy snack.
  • SMJ64
    SMJ64 Posts: 66
    Options
    I agree the red bell pepper version is tastier than regular hummus IMO.

Here in Toronto I mostly find it around the deli area or where you find fresh dips (spinach etc)

:)
    sj
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Sabra... and in the deli by the cheese and guac etc

The supremely spicy = yums!!!
    The garlic is good, for a generic one - I like this with some rice chips (can't eat wheat) and some white wine with the bf. He likes his hummus on pitas. Oh the garlic one is good to dip carrots in too.

hmmmm. Now I want some.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I usually see them in the deli section too although I haven't found a pre-made one that I like so I make my own when I get a craving - I always have chickpeas on hand in my pantry.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    In Trader Joe's - it's with the fresh veggies - try the Chipotle kind... loves it! :-)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Y'all are awesome!! I went with Roasted Garlic for calorie count (and the fact that I like garlic ...) But I didn't see Supremely Spicy. I will TOTALLY be trying the beans and cukes and etc. if I can get past the texture :)

Thank y'all!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's really great on a sandwich in place of mayo or mustard, too.
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    If you have a Super Target with groceries by where u live- Archers Farms( Targets brand) makes Hummus! It is really good, an usually a tad bit cheaper!! :) they make a couple different flavors. Find it by the deli stuff. Fancy cheese, etc. Good luck- Hummus rocks!!! :-)
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I first got on here and heard all of ya'll talking about hummus I tried some plain and thought you were crazy. I also didn't like the pepper. I recently thought I would give it another try and found Sabra with roasted pine nuts. It is amazing. I like to dip veggies (esp. carrots) in it and I like it with wheat crackers. At Kroger it is in the section with fancy cheese and at walmart it is near the deli but my walmart doesn't have Sabra. I really want to try to spicy one...
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love me some hummus. I use it as salad dressing.