I need some guidance

Options
Two weeks ago, I started using MFP again as I want to lose weight I've gained over the last year or so.

- I eat a balanced diet which I measure and log accurately (my diary is open).
- I burn in excess of 3,500 calories a week through cardio, usually cycling (25-30 km/h; never less than 50 minutes).
- I do a few weight sessions per week too.
- My macros are about 48% carbs, 28% protein, 24% fat (I'm working to get this to 40-30-30).
- I typically drink two to three litres of water per day.
- I tend to only eat a small portion of my exercise calories, if any.
- My sodium intake is usually about half the goal.
- My calorific intake is usually around 1800-2000 calories.
- I enjoy a bit of alcohol once or twice a week, always in moderation.

I thought I was doing things right, but I've not lost any weight in the last couple of weeks. Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing your foods?
    Also, curious, how do you know you are burning over 3500 calories? HRM?
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A lot of the items in your diary are foreign to me, but it looks like you have a balanced diet in a good range. Two weeks is not a lot of time for weight loss. If you have increased the amount of exercise substantially you could have increased water weight which will offset any fat loss. I'd also recommend since you just started to track body measurements as well as weight.

I would keep what you are doing for at least another month, check both your measurements and your weights at that time and then assess your progress. I think you will be happy with your progress :smile:
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it looks reasonable. Assuming you're not 3 feet tall, your calories are reasonable. The only thing I can think of is if you just started lifting weights and exercising, you're muscles are holding on to water, which is masking any fat loss you're experiencing. Also, you don't seem to have a lot of weight to lose, so it can go slowly. I guess I'm just saying, be a little more patient and you should start seeing results. It's a mind game sometimes.
  • Papakevgo934
    Papakevgo934 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else, I looked at your diary and it looks good. When I started lifting weights I stopped losing weight for about 30 days before my body had adjusted. Give it time. The main thing is your eating healthy and your exercising, and that is the most important thing.
  • neilco
    neilco Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. I mentioned that in the OP.
    I always wear a HRM when doing cardio. Everything is logged to Garmin Connect.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The most common reasons for no weight loss are underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • neilco
    Options
    A lot of the items in your diary are foreign to me
    My apologies. I'm British.
    but it looks like you have a balanced diet in a good range. Two weeks is not a lot of time for weight loss. If you have increased the amount of exercise substantially you could have increased water weight which will offset any fat loss. I'd also recommend since you just started to track body measurements as well as weight.

I would keep what you are doing for at least another month, check both your measurements and your weights at that time and then assess your progress. I think you will be happy with your progress :smile:
    I hadn't consider water retention. That's a good point. My bathroom scales do show hydration level and I know it's quite low right now (about 53%) despite all the water I drink. I'll keep a log of my measurements and see what happens.
  • neilco
    Options
    When I started lifting weights I stopped losing weight for about 30 days before my body had adjusted.
    That gives me some hope as I only started lifting a few weeks ago. Thanks :)
  • murph1349
    murph1349 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My advice would be avoid all processed foods. If it comes in a can or in a box (for the most part), don't eat it - switch to fresh. Check the ingredients on the label - less is best and every word in the ingredients should be recognizable.

Also, if you can move away from wheat products into whole grain products, that might make a difference too.

Overall though, your diet looks very healthy. Good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Yes and yes. I mentioned that in the OP.
    I always wear a HRM when doing cardio. Everything is logged to Garmin Connect.

Sorry, somehow I missed the scale part...I hadn't had coffee yet...

It is most likely water retention. Have you taken your measurements? I did when I started lifting 8 weeks ago, the scale hasn't budged until 2 days ago, but I've lost inches everywhere. I feel a difference and in progress pics I can see a difference. If you haven't taken pics and measurements I would advise to do that. It'll help when you have moments like these....I was having one last week I was a bit upset the scale hadn't budged. It will though.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Oh...and no reason to avoid processed foods like someone else suggested.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd agree that your diary looks pretty good. I do wonder if you should up your calories a bit, for long term success, since you don't have much to lose.
  • neilco
    Options
    I'd agree that your diary looks pretty good. I do wonder if you should up your calories a bit, for long term success, since you don't have much to lose.
    That's what I've been wondering too. I'll give it a few weeks and try to get my macros on track before I tweak the calorific intake.