Confused about MFP "goals"

Options
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm going to ask just to see if someone can explain this to me.

I'm 5'7 and I'm down to 154 lbs. I've calculated my BMR on MFP (1498) and on bmi-calculator.net (1541). I've also calculated my TDEE (1797). I'm confused as to which bmr calculation is more accurate, first off.

Secondly, I've been eating 1400 for the past month and have slowly lost the weight with minimal exercise and with that, MFP says I'm set to be losing .9 lbs a week. (It also says that my daily calories burned from normal activities is 1870??) I only want to lose 20-30 more pounds so I want to be losing roughly a pound per week.

I guess my question is, am I okay eating the amount of calories I am now or is it causing me to lose more slowly? Should I bump it up the extra 98 calories and if so, will that help me lose quicker?

Thanks!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is select one, MFP or TDEE, and stick to it. The calories number MFP initially generates does not include exercise calories. When you enter your exercises, the system will then add those calories for you to eat back. Eat back at least half because the amount is on the high end. TDEE includes exercise calories so you don't eat any of those calories back if you use this option. With TDEE, you subtract between 15-25% and eat that number in order to lose weight.
  • PlugInBabyx
    PlugInBabyx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm going to ask just to see if someone can explain this to me.

I'm 5'7 and I'm down to 154 lbs. I've calculated my BMR on MFP (1498) and on bmi-calculator.net (1541). I've also calculated my TDEE (1797). I'm confused as to which bmr calculation is more accurate, first off.

Secondly, I've been eating 1400 for the past month and have slowly lost the weight with minimal exercise and with that, MFP says I'm set to be losing .9 lbs a week. (It also says that my daily calories burned from normal activities is 1870??) I only want to lose 20-30 more pounds so I want to be losing roughly a pound per week.

I guess my question is, am I okay eating the amount of calories I am now or is it causing me to lose more slowly? Should I bump it up the extra 98 calories and if so, will that help me lose quicker?

Thanks!

The BMR calculations are only 44 calories apart, so I wouldn't sweat that too much. Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate - the rate at which you burn calories just for being a living human being. The 1870 is what MFP has figured out you burn based on your BMR and the activity level you've entered on here.

Right now, if you're eating 1400 calories, your deficit is 470 calories without exercise. In order to lose a pound of fat a week, you need a 3500 deficit - you're not quite at that yet (470*7=3290). But IMO, you're pretty close. You can throw in a walk around the block for a bit of extra burn, but I think if what you're doing is working, stick with it!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error. So eat the extra 98 calories for two weeks, then reevaluate.

For good, easy to understand information, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants