Proof there's no such thing as big bones

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My bones are very confused. I'm 5'8" wear a size 6 shoe, have a 6" wrist but the shoulders and rib cage of a linebacker, by my foot and wrist size I would classify as small framed, one look at my shoulders, however contradicts that classification....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As someone who in deed has big bones the Proof is in my wrist bones but x-rays would also show you. I beg to differ.
    I agree. My mother and my sister are very small boned. Their wrists are an inch in circumference smaller and their wedding rings will only fit on my pinky. I am about the same height and weight as they are so how else would someone classify it if not that my bones are bigger/thicker than theirs? There are plenty of height/weight charts that take frame size into account for a reason.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My bones are very confused. I'm 5'8" wear a size 6 shoe, have a 6" wrist but the shoulders and rib cage of a linebacker, by my foot and wrist size I would classify as small framed, one look at my shoulders, however contradicts that classification....

Your feet are tiny for your height! I wear a 8.5. My wrists are probably only 6" too though. The dumb "wrap your fingers around your wrist" thing to measure frame doesn't work for me. I have long fingers and small wrists. My thumb and for fingers overlap by about an inch.

I have a feeling my daughter is going to end up tall with small feet. She has always had tiny feet and is of above average height.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There really is a such thing as big-boned, though I agree that it is almost always used as an excuse to explain being overweight. You can see a difference when you put two skeletons of the same height side-by-side, but I imagine that a lot of people have not had the opportunity to see this. There are women who are still alive and in a size two, and there are women who are dead and nothing but a skeleton remaining who could not wear a size two. You see it mostly in the pelvis, rib cage, wrists, and ankles. Obviously foot size would be different, but that wouldn't be indicative of whether or not you are "big-boned".

Exactly.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Your feet are tiny for your height! I wear a 8.5. My wrists are probably only 6" too though. The dumb "wrap your fingers around your wrist" thing to measure frame doesn't work for me. I have long fingers and small wrists. My thumb and for fingers overlap by about an inch.

I have a feeling my daughter is going to end up tall with small feet. She has always had tiny feet and is of above average height.

LOL yup, my frame just breaks all sorts of rules, and yes I can touch thumb and pinky together on either wrist. The super small feet is actually a really big problem though, small footprint on a tall frame can get somewhat unwieldy, and my ankles have unfortunately suffered for it. :grumble:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People do have different frame sizes. And just because there are overweight small framed people does not mean there are not fit large framed people. I have a small frame and I'm lean. My shoulders are 34 inches, my rib cage 26 inches, my waist 23 inches, my hips 34 inches.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Some people do have bigger bones than others.

You rang?

Well hello there!
    gwtw-504.gif
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Oh I dunno, I have a relatively big bone.. :indifferent:

On my right arm.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    People trying to be kind have called me Big Boned my whole life. This X-ray of a 900 pound man shows what a load of crap that was.

cfY7Bu9.jpg

Bless their hearts for trying to be nice.

Pfft.
    This man in the photo is fluffy, not big boned.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    There really is a such thing as big-boned, though I agree that it is almost always used as an excuse to explain being overweight. You can see a difference when you put two skeletons of the same height side-by-side, but I imagine that a lot of people have not had the opportunity to see this. There are women who are still alive and in a size two, and there are women who are dead and nothing but a skeleton remaining who could not wear a size two. You see it mostly in the pelvis, rib cage, wrists, and ankles. Obviously foot size would be different, but that wouldn't be indicative of whether or not you are "big-boned".

Exactly.

Yup. I am 5'5" and even when I only weighed 118 lbs, I was never smaller than a size 8, and that was only in one or two outfits, the rest of them I wore a size 10.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Yup. I am 5'5" and even when I only weighed 118 lbs, I was never smaller than a size 8, and that was only in one or two outfits, the rest of them I wore a size 10.

Ok, sorry. But even the biggest boned woman at 5'5" would be well under a size 10 at 15% to 20% bodyfat.

At some point, the big boned explanation ceases to hold weight.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    There are definitely people with "larger" bones. When my sister and I were both skinny, my shoulders were much wider than hers, but she was much taller. On the flip side I have tiny hands. I wear a size 5 ring (even while overweight).

I'm sure the "larger" bones weigh more. But not 300lb more. Maybe 2 or 3?

ps I'm not short at 5'-6.5"
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I always assumed people who said "big boned" meant "larger frame". I'm 5'10", and even at my thinnest I still have broad shoulders and hips. Surely we can agree that people have different sized frames?

Ditto.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Exactly.

Ok, sorry. But even the biggest boned woman at 5'5" would be well under a size 10 at 15% to 20% bodyfat.

That's perfectly true and I'm sure everyone is familiar with people who use big boned as an attempt to explain what is actually too much fat. On the other hand, there's absolutely no reason that 5'5" woman needs to be 15 to 20% body fat when most sources I've seen allow 28 to 30% for healthy levels in adult women.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My bones are dead sexy :)

Sexy_bones_by_NanoMaji.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Exactly.

How many years ago are we talking about thought? A size 10 was a lot smaller 30 years ago than it is now. And she also never said what body fat percentage she was.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    People do however have differnt bone structure. My hip bones are much wider set then many people I know so obviously I will never be as small as them due to my bones. Yes the bones themselves are not really bigger but the way my body is built is "larger", and not the same as everyone else.

Ditto.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Are we related? I'm 5'8'' with a wrist circumference of 5 and a half, and I'm 5 and a half in shoes, but 6 fits fine (have just measured myself, to make sure).
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm not that tall, only 5'3", but my feet are size 9. My wrists are 7 inches. And my ring finger size is just ridiculous. (I do NOT look good in most jewelry.) I hate having a frame as large as what I have. But I'm not insipid enough to use it as an excuse for being obese. It does mean I would probably have to be almost dead to weigh 100 lbs. I have never been small, and I've always tipped the scale, even when I wasn't outwardly overweight (which stopped being the case by the age of 6)..
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Exactly.

How many years ago are we talking about thought? A size 10 was a lot smaller 30 years ago than it is now. And she also never said what body fat percentage she was.

I have no idea what my body fat was, but when I was 118 lbs, I was running cross country in track plus did strength training, so I can't imagine it was very high. Every bone I had stuck out. So whatever. I know that some people will never be convinced that some of us have wider hips and shoulders than others.