Vegetables

Options
lilmandy89
lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
So I usually buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, does anyone have any ways to cook them other than just steaming them, because their getting really boring for me. I need more flavour. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So I usually buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, does anyone have any ways to cook them other than just steaming them, because their getting really boring for me. I need more flavour. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen veggies too and I'm horrible cook so I try my best to season them in the following ways:

Toss in fresh garlic
    Mrs. Dash
    Smart Balance Spread
    Lots of Pepper
    Lemon Juice

I look forward to see what others are doing!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I typically stir fry my veggies, with just a smidge of water.
    Use a little lite soy sayce...
    Some other spices and BAM....

Just don't over cook them or they look nasty and lose all the good stuff.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the stir fry. For a better stir-fry, get a bag of mixed fresh vegetables instead of frozen. This way they won't get soggy. There are lots of great recipes on Epicurious.com. Best recipe site ever.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I love roasted veggies. Just mix with a little olive oil and some seasoning (I use Great Shakes Herb Seasoning, no salt added) spread them over a cookie sheet and sometimes even slice up some potatoes and onions and throw them in too. Roast them till tender. YUMMY.:tongue:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I concur on the stir fry. But I add a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Remember, olive oil contains lots of fat, but it's the GOOD fat, and does make it very tasty (I usually add about 1.5 tblspoons, but that's cuz I cook for 2). If you want to spice it up, try adding some red hot, that's always tasty. Or you can buy the italian seasoning mix of spices, and toss them in. Mostly I just chop a couple of cloves of fresh garlic, or carmelize some onions before I toss the veggies in. One note though, it's always better with fresh veggies. And veggies stay good fresh as long as they are sealed for 4 days or so, so it's not like you have to hit the store every day. Granted they are more expensive, but ...

Very little is easier then stirfrying veggies. Just remember to make sure the pan is really hot before you throw the veggies in. And if they are frozen, put them in a bowl of hot water first to thaw them or you'll get lots of extra water and it's more like you are blanching them then stir frying them.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I buy the Normandy Blend frozen veggies from Walmart (Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, and squash). What I do is take a non-stick frying pan, mince a garlic clove and add a little bit of olive oil and sautee the veggies. I will also add some kickin chicken seasoning to give it a little spice and sometimes I'll add some spray butter! I turned my anti frozen veggie friend into an addict for this!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    after you cook them a bit you can saute them with a little marinara sauce, maybe 2-3 tbsp. worth, just enough to coat them and give a little favor to.