22, I have a long way to go, pretty apprehensive.

Options
Hello! I've been up and down with my weight over the years. Before now my heaviest was 18.5 stone, and I successfully got back down to 15st 6. I'm 6ft 3in and have a fair of muscle so for me this is more or less skinny. In the last 2 years however I ballooned to 20st 2lbs, and I am finally doing something about it. This is the first time I have exercised to lose weight as well as eating well, instead of essentially starving myself. I've had problems shifting weight in the past and I'm worried that although I've been under target for a week that it won't be enough to make me drop any weight. My target is 14st, I understand that it may take a year or more, I'm just worried that my weight won't decrease and I'll become disheartened again.

Replies

• al_pareja
    al_pareja Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is difficult, I have been trying to lose weigh for a couple of years and even if I lose some, I then gain it and just eat everything in sight. I've found that if you shift your attention from 'losing weight' of 'better health' it becomes more manageable. If your only goal is to lose weight then you will most likely put it back on, however if you exercise and focus on better health, it will be more likely you will stick to it and maintain it long term.

Just my opinion of course :)
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's about creating good habits that you will be able to continue after you reach your goal. It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet."

Keep a calorie goal because it's not good to overeat.
    Watch your macros because you want to get proper nutrition.
    Exercise regularly because you want to stay healthy and strong.

There are some things you will do while losing weight that you won't keep up after you reach your goal.
    #1 Eating at a deficit. After you reach your goal, you will eat at maintenance. Healthy habits made during weight loss will help you to not overeat and gain it back. It also helps to have your daily goal during weight loss not too far below the TDEE of your goal weight because you want the transition to be smooth.
    #2 You won't need to exercise as often as before because you will be doing it to stay in shape and in good health rather than to burn calories for weight loss.