Need some exersice to burn calories with a bum knee

Options
I had knee surgery abot 6 years ago and I am having a little bit of trouble with my knee these last few days, I am working thru the pain but I am sure paying for it at the end of the day last night I had to ice it and wrap it all night long, today it is very swollen and is killing me, I went ahead and worked out on my stepper but was not able to do it as long as I would like to, because me knee just kept giving out. Does anyone know of of any workout routines or just a few exercises that I can do with my bum knee for a while that will help me with still lose the calories?

Replies

• TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    the elliptical machine. works the whole body and wont put a strain on your knees
  • becomingsara
    Options
    BUMP.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If it's very swollen, you may need to rest it for awhile. If you have pool access, I know that's very easy on the joints. But, you can throw some intense punches for awhile like side punches, in the front and uppercuts.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The elliptical will only be easy on the knees IF it is set to the right stride length for you. If it isn't (like the ones at our gym that aren't adjustable for stride length) then it can actually do more harm then good. As someone who has had 2 knee surgeries and is currently doing rehab for a torn patella tendon, I'd suggest resting the knee and doing upper body exercise for now. You can still lift weights for the arms, chest, back, shoulders, and abs. You can also do leg extensions, leg curls, and leg press with just the uninjured leg if you have access to those machines. For cardio, some gyms have a hand bike that you can use, or you can do boxing moves while seated and get your heart rate up nicely.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The elliptical wreaks havoc on my bad knee...so be cautious if you try that.

This goes without saying probably, but you are elevating it as much as possible right? The best thing is probably just some rest and upper body strength work. Might be worth a trip to the PT to get some exercises, STEM and ultrasound for it.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    What does "bump" mean?
  • sullydog101
    sullydog101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would rest it for a few days till the inflammation goes down. Swimming or weight lifting with your arms would be good to do while your knee is healing. After that just try to take it easy and gradually increase activity with it. Working out till the joints hurt won't make them any stronger.
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It takes the topic back to the top of the discussion list
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    you could walk :)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both of my knees - one due to an injury working on my house nearly 4 years ago and the other due to an auto accident a little over a year ago. Following the auto accident I was prescribed a knee brace with side supports. I initially just used it for the knee injured in the accident. Then I decided to buy a second one for my left knee as well. When ever I walk, do any high impact exercise that might have a negative impact on my knees, i wear those knee braces. I just bought some new ones on line "hely Weber" is the brand name. I recommend one that has a Patella support in the front along with the side supports - the ones I got this time have hinges which seem to help with things like the stationary bike and exercises that include bending the knees. They are a little expensive, but they have helped soo much and I have little knee pain any more as a result of using them diligently.

I also was advised by my doctor to not do the elliptical - it is really really hard on the knees. Stick to things like walking, the stationary bike, etc.

Vickie
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If your knee is bothering you that much, I would recommend getting some PT too. It might help with anything that caused the sudden irritation and they can give you good ideas on exercises to do.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Try some water aerobics. I teach aqua and it is a great exercise for anybody (if you find the type of class that is right for you). Every instructor is different and if you have knee problems I would look into deep water or having the option to go to the deep end. Do you belong to a club? Or have a pool nearby that offers these classes? If the place you go doesn't provide aqua belts you should consider purchasing one (I think they are maybe $20 or so at Big 5 or you can find them at any sporting goods store). You can do it without a belt but it gives you a much harder workout and might end up being a little difficult on your knee. If you don't have any classes near you that doesn't mean you can't still do a water workout. Do some deep water running and if you want some exercises to do on your own send me a message I would be happy to give you some ideas of what moves I do in my class.

Not only do you not have impact on your knee during aqua classes the water temp and motion of the water is soothing for people with injuries (or without lol).
  • heymommy0
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise, I think I am going to rest my knee for a couple days because it is killing me after my work out now, I do have my breace on and keeping it as elevated as possible with 3 little ones around the house today =).

I should have made this a little more clear sorry guys, I work out at home I have p90x, a step up board for aerobics, wii fit and some weights, I am unable to go to a gym, we only have one car and my husband takes that to work everyday and I also have 3 children, but I do try everything I can at home. I do love to walk but once my knee starts acting up it hurts to even do that sometimes. Looks like my best bet for now to to stay off of it till it heals and work on uper body for now. Cant wait for the summer time to come back so I can get in the pool and do water aerobics and look good in a bathing suit =)

Thank you again for all the tips.
  • dwgirl140
    Options
    I have a similiar situation. I have a broken bone in my foot where the only option is surgery. I'm still able to function normally, but work outs can become difficult. The best advice that I can give you is to set up a consult with your doctor and ask him/her what is the best thing for you.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I've also been looking for knee friendly cardio. My orthopedic DR recommended a bike if you have one or an eliptical. I don't have either and am also a stay at home Mom with 4 kids so that really limits my ability to get out much. Good luck to you, I hope that your knee gets better soon!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    the elliptical machine. works the whole body and wont put a strain on your knees

i know it's supposed to be easy on the knees, but for mine, it is painful, and with my short height, i have lots of pain when doing and elliptical. proof that it's not the best for everyone.

for me two pieces of equipment worked to get me lower in weight so that i could do more impact activities pain free: a stationary bike and a Total Gym (the one that Chuck Noris advertise) I got both of these off of e-bay and paid only $100 for each. at this time of year you should be able to find them. but don't wait till January 1st when everyone in the country will be wanting to get skinny.

the bike is good for cardio and low impact. make sure the seat is high enough and you have foot straps...both will help easy your knee pain. upright might be better and less stress on your knees. (the ones where you sit and push out are very hard on my knees.)
    Total Gym is GREAT for muscle tone/strength. you need this to keep your metabolism going. Cardio is good for calorie burn and for your heart/body. strenght training is AWESOME for the metabolism and will keep you burning calories 24/7. the Total Gym is no impact and will work you out. i find that doing arms one day and legs next day is a great routine.

suggestion: find a gym and get a free 7 day pass. try out the different bikes and equipment before purchasing anything. you will find what works for you (upright bike vs. the peddles out front.)

send me a friend request. cheering you on.
    Jane
  • craftygeek
    Options
    When my knee is bugging me, I stick to walking, swimming and biking. Ice and rest as much as you can, get the best cardio you can in without aggravating the knee and get your upper body strength in. Good luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    SWIM SWIM SWIM!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise, I think I am going to rest my knee for a couple days because it is killing me after my work out now, I do have my breace on and keeping it as elevated as possible with 3 little ones around the house today =).

I should have made this a little more clear sorry guys, I work out at home I have p90x, a step up board for aerobics, wii fit and some weights, I am unable to go to a gym, we only have one car and my husband takes that to work everyday and I also have 3 children, but I do try everything I can at home. I do love to walk but once my knee starts acting up it hurts to even do that sometimes. Looks like my best bet for now to to stay off of it till it heals and work on uper body for now. Cant wait for the summer time to come back so I can get in the pool and do water aerobics and look good in a bathing suit =)

Thank you again for all the tips.

Okay, at home exercises you can do for upper body would be the weights, (which you may already know, but I can post some pdf's of workout cards for them if you want), and punching drills. You could check out www.exercisetv.tv for their free full length videos and do the boxing drills from anything that is kickboxing. You may also find that you can do some yoga and pilates moves too. The stretching from those types of things may help too. I know they do for me.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Oh, and AVOID the STEP!!! Step aerobics is really tough on the knees.