Idea(s) for fresh figs

Options
sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
The house I'm currently in has a several fig trees that just started producing (black ones). I'm loving them and have been eating them sliced and topped with cottage cheese, drizzle of honey, fresh basil, and pepper. It's incredible but I know I will tire of it soon. Any other ideas for fresh figs?

Replies

• kikimilabutterfly
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes that is healthy and very yummy is caramelized figs and banana ice cream
    You freeze bananas for a couple of hours pop them in your blender with a little skim milk or water and a couple drops of vanilla extract and then pop it back in the freezer while you caramelize figs with raw sugar (or granulated cane) in a medium saucepan until it makes a syrup and then put the banana ice cream in a bowl with the figs. It's very yummy and pretty much guilt free!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow wish I lived near you.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Fig jam.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Are you already eating them plain? YUM.

Do you have a dehydrator? One year we sliced & dehydrated -- made "fig chips", much like banana chips.

Other things we made when our fig tress had record output:

Chutney
    Fig bars (like lemon bars)
    Fig jam
    Fig butter

I think we liked the fig chips best, since they kept so well and we weren't adding more sugar (like with the bars and jam).
    I never did find a fig newton-type recipe that we loved. :ohwell: We might be poised for another banner crop this summer if we get some more sunny days in a row and the temperature warms up again.

ETA: ..so let me know if you find that elusive fig newton recipe! :happy:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    on a spring mix salad with strawberries, blackberries goat cheese and vanilla vinaigrette.

on a cheese plate.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    on a spring mix salad with strawberries, blackberries goat cheese and vanilla vinaigrette.

on a cheese plate.

+1 to cheese plate. Delish.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Halved, broiled, with a dollop of goat cheese..... then drizzled with a little honey and balsamic vinegar. Very delicious!
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Grilled with balsamic! Add some chevre, or prosciutto and rosemary. MMMM! Lucky you! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Are you already eating them plain? YUM.

Do you have a dehydrator? One year we sliced & dehydrated -- made "fig chips", much like banana chips.

Other things we made when our fig tress had record output:

Chutney
    Fig bars (like lemon bars)
    Fig jam
    Fig butter

I think we liked the fig chips best, since they kept so well and we weren't adding more sugar (like with the bars and jam).
    I never did find a fig newton-type recipe that we loved. :ohwell: We might be poised for another banner crop this summer if we get some more sunny days in a row and the temperature warms up again.

ETA: ..so let me know if you find that elusive fig newton recipe! :happy:

Fig chips sounds like they would taste great with Nutella. Chips and DIP!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for a fig-balsamic sauce on my hobby cooking blog: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/08/08/fig-balsamic-sauce/
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese and prosciutto for sure!! Mmm, you are so lucky. The figs here are never quite right.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Fig tart served with goat cheese and honey, can them whole or in jam or chutney. Caramelize them and serve them over any meat. Dip them in chocolate like you would strawberries. Cook them in simple syrup and serve over pancakes or waffles. Fig Kuchen.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Such wonderful ideas, thank you so much! Yes, I'd also like to find a fig newton recipe if anyone has one.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The house I'm currently in has a several fig trees that just started producing (black ones). I'm loving them and have been eating them sliced and topped with cottage cheese, drizzle of honey, fresh basil, and pepper. It's incredible but I know I will tire of it soon. Any other ideas for fresh figs?

I eat them straight.

You can give them a light drying at a low temp in the oven after splitting in half, then add them with some preserved lemon to roast some pork or chicken.
  • suefromgraysWECHANGED
    suefromgraysWECHANGED Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow sounds great.
    I want figs.
    Sue:-)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Figs filled with ricotta cheese; either sweet and sprinkled with a bit of honey, or savory
    Figs wrapped in paper thin slices of Parma, Prosciutto or Serrano ham....the figs can be raw ( but ripe ! ) or grilled
    Fig muffins, or loaf
    Good bread or a pizza base with figs and goat cheese , baked in the oven
    Figs soaked in port wine, then dunked in melted chocolate and rolled in chopped nuts
    Grilled figs and goat cheese salad
    Figs with a strong cheese and water cress & tomato salad...fihs either raw or grilled
    Spanish fig tapas
    North African chicken or lamb tagine with figs
    Fig and pear or apple compote
    Fig preserves ( especially good with a bit of ginger or alcohol )

And that's it ....:o). !

PS: and I forgot one of my favorites: Figs with any kind of a strong cheese accompanied by a glass of really cold, but not sweet sherry......the figs and cheese ought to be room temperature to appreciate.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In for the ideas - I'm new at this fig thing, and a big, fruit laden tree was included with the house we bought :bigsmile:
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Jam. Definitely.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been dying to try this recipe for fig and goat cheese pizza:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/08/fig-and-goat-cheese-pizza/

(her recipes for chicken sofrito and ratatouille are also to die for.)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Send me some!!!!!