2100 calorie diet?

Options
hello all,
new to this site. my personal trainer suggested it. and i'm enjoying my time. here the food diary is helping me tremendously!

ok here's my situation.

started doing lots of cardio. (walking an elleptical) about 6 days a week since march 20, 2014. i have lost about 12 pounds.
im currently 217lbs and wanna get down to 192lbs.

i have cut soda, white bread, ice cream and other unecessary stuff out of my diet.

2100 calories just seems like alot. but i've learned over the last few days, even watching carefully what you eat and portion sizes, etc that 2,100 isn't that much.

my main question is, is 2100 calories per day correct for my situation?

i do weight training 2 days a week for 30 minutes and doing cardio 3 to 5 days a week.

thanks!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Since when is ice cream unnecessary?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2100 seems reasonable, possibly low if you are not eating back your exercise calories. I am a 25 year old female, 5'7 and 183lbs and I eat about that everyday (that include eating back my exercise calories).

PS - Ice cream is awesome.
  • Ziggie13
    Ziggie13 Posts: 248
    Options
    Don't take any of the foods you like out of your food intake, You will be better off cutting your normal size portion then cutting it out. because you will want it even more and maybe indulge in it later. take little steps first it will help .
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    2100 is where my goal is but with exercise its closer to 3000. I must admit that I am in a maintenance mode now and not really trying to lose.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I weigh 215 ish 5'6" and am currently eating 2170 .. so yea.. sounds about right.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Since when is ice cream unnecessary?
    [/quote

Meh, is not only unncessary is also overrated, just like pizza.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    What are you height and weight. 2100 should be ok for most men.

Also, people do reverse-broscience on this site a lot, telling you to eat crap food cuz everything should be included. Just do a IIFYM approach, so eat ice cream ONLY if you can stay within 2100 calories and meet your macros that day. Otherwise ignore the reverse-bro scientists.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The calories seem like a good starting place... Ice cream is a necessity at least in my daily day. Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to cut things out, just start controlling portions.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think 2100 sounds about right, but i would eat exercise calories back :) you dont want to damage your body by not eating enough
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What are you height and weight. 2100 should be ok for most men.

Also, people do reverse-broscience on this site a lot, telling you to eat crap food cuz everything should be included. Just do a IIFYM approach, so eat ice cream ONLY if you can stay within 2100 calories and meet your macros that day. Otherwise ignore the reverse-bro scientists.

Smart guy!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm a female 207 lbs and eat 2200 calories a day. I suspect you may burn over 3000 calories a day, since men generally have higher metabolisms than women ( I burn 2500-3500 cals per day) so then the 2100 calories might be a bit too low.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ If you put your info into this calculator, it will give you a pretty good indication of how many calories you should be consuming according to your height, weight, weight loss goal, activity etc.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a female 207 lbs and eat 2200 calories a day. I suspect you may burn over 3000 calories a day, since men generally have higher metabolisms than women ( I burn 2500-3500 cals per day) so then the 2100 calories might be a bit too low.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ If you put your info into this calculator, it will give you a pretty good indication of how many calories you should be consuming according to your height, weight, weight loss goal, activity etc.

thank you all! :) never thought i would get so many responses. ok. im 5'5 and 217lbs. the reason why i have cut ice cream and other stuff is because my triglyceride level last time it was checked in march was 247. however, my total cholesterol was 190.
    i currently take 2,000mg fish oil and 1,200 mg red yeast rice daily per doctor orders.

heart disease is on both sides of my family, so i'm trying to be proactive and get more healthy and fit. doctor told me if my weight dropped to around 210 or so i would be ok as far as weight.
  • rudy336
    Options
    and physically, the only thing i'm not happy with is my stomach. i have the belly fat. but i do know that belly fat is the last thing to go. i have noticed that my arms and legs are more well defined, (losing fat).

working with my personal trainer is helping too. i want to weighlift, and do weight training, but don't wanna do it alone.
  • rudy336
    Options
    ive acutally been able to eat personal sized digornio pizza's and stay within my calorie range.
  • rudy336
    Options
    well just to update, went to doctor last week. my scatic nerve was acting up again. got some muscle relaxers and a steroid shot. doctor was really impressed with my weight loss. he suggested i cut calories from 2100 to 1900. and i have been doing that for almost a week now. doing quite well. weight continues to fall off. hoping to get down to 190. im 208 now. :):):smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    A blood test about five years ago showed me crossing into the above range cholesterol category, I choose to do nothing about it. My belly fat kept increasing little by little. After my kids joked about my due date and my wife yet again proclaiming the visceral belly fat is the worst thing to have. I decided to get more active but still enjoyed my bacon & eggs breakfast and fries with lunch. One day while waiting in line I looked at the difference between a McDonalds grilled chicken wrap alone and with fries and a drink, Oh My God, that moment I changed. Cut the bad stuff, switched to oatmeal with fruit in the morning and started running. The beer gut is totally gone, I am at my proper weight and cholesterol dropped over 50 points. Keep at it and go for the slow steady progress, you will be glad you did.