Cell Phones

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think it is ok. They make cells that can call 911 and a few pre-programmed numbers. Like Mom and Dad cells, home phone and grandparents. They can't call any other numbers though. Perfect for children who might need something yet no abuse potential
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Since you asked, no.
    I'm 42 and still see no need to own one (and don't). :smile:
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been asking for one for a while. She just turned eight about a week ago. I have always told her flat out, no, she can not have a phone. If circumstances were different and I felt for some reason that she needed one, it would be a good "old fashioned" (lol) talk and text only phone. In fact, it would be talk only if anyone made them anymore but I don't think they do. I do not think there is any situation in which a child would need a smartphone, even the teenagers that I see with them, I think it invites more trouble than it could possibly be worth. If you get a prepaid, pay per minute phone and set the rules at only calling and receiving calls from you or another emergency number then it shouldn't amount to a lot of money and it will give you some peace of mind. I do not think however that a young child needs a cell phone to call their friends on. In the end, you are the parents and you just need to do what what you think is right for your situation and what gives you the most peace.

A note to the people who said that an eight year old is not going to be off wandering the city alone: I would hope not but it is entirely possibly for children to get seperated/lost from their parents, especially in busy places.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My oldest will be ten this summer, and we have considered getting him a basic phone only because we moved several states away from his best friend and cousin last year, and they are CONSTANTLY on my phone.

It occurs to me as I type this that getting a landline might actually be the way to go - because... he's only turning 10.

Anyway. I don't know. It's not unheard of. Lots of kids in his class this year had them. I think he may just not quite be ready yet. Or maybe he is.

So helpful. Sorry.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My oldest will be ten this summer, and we have considered getting him a basic phone only because we moved several states away from his best friend and cousin last year, and they are CONSTANTLY on my phone.

It occurs to me as I type this that getting a landline might actually be the way to go - because... he's only turning 10.

Anyway. I don't know. It's not unheard of. Lots of kids in his class this year had them. I think he may just not quite be ready yet. Or maybe he is.

So helpful. Sorry.

FaceTime is way better to keep in touch, if you have a computer
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would not have given my kids a phone at 8 years old for a few reasons.

1. They are rarely without an adult that has a phone.
    2. The additional cost of the added phone (about $50/month after fees and other crap)
    3. The drama, I gave each of my kids a phone at 13. I would have waited until 16 to bypass the middle school drama the phone can create. Being able to text all the time is a distraction from school too.

Just my 2 cents.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I think if you give them a bare boines ph with no data just to be safe in case they got lost is probably smart.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I would not have given my kids a phone at 8 years old for a few reasons.

1. They are rarely without an adult that has a phone.
    2. The additional cost of the added phone (about $50/month after fees and other crap)
    3. The drama, I gave each of my kids a phone at 13. I would have waited until 16 to bypass the middle school drama the phone can create. Being able to text all the time is a distraction from school too.

Just my 2 cents.

This.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a cell phone at 16, 18 or 21...they weren't really widely available when I was 16. I think I got one at 25 or 26 or something.

Anyway - I think there isn't a hard/fast rule on this and one must use common sense. I mean, everyone who is saying they didn't have one at 8 probably also lived somewhere that most public places had pay phones in case of emergency/necessity. Well, pay phones aren't exactly all over the place anymore. So you have to explore your options as to what you want from it. Some things to consider are text options, gps, limited phone numbers, etc. And you should also consider your child, his/her maturity, behavior, independence, etc.

So that's a long winded way of saying "whatever you think is right."
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No way in hell my kids are getting a cell phone yet...they are 10 and 7. I didn't get my first cell until I was in my early 30's and I survived just fine.

Edited for spelling.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Depends on the situation.

My youngest brother had a cellphone at 8, my mom was a student and was going to school 45 minutes away, My 16 year old brother was his afterschool caregiver until she got home but we had a crazy biological father, and his phone was for emergencies only and he rarely ever used it.

There are phones plans where you can only call certain numbers on it, I would look into something like that if you want to get your child a cellphone.

As for those saying they didn't have cells until they were 16+. Times change, I was 20 when I got my first cellphone, my younger brothers were 18, 16 and 8.
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say no, but ask me again in 4 years when I have an 8 yr old. Maybe an old phone that is charged and can call 911, or those 2 way radios were a great idea!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Eh - I did not have a cellphone until I was 16. Also, why would your 8 year old ever be "out and about" in a city, in danger? 8 year olds should always be supervised by a responsible adult.

THIS!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am slightly shocked that I am in the minority here.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16.

But, no one really had cell phones when I was 8. Those who did were upper middle class. And they were those big cell phones. With the antennas. By the time I was eleven, they had those dinosaur cell phones. They were still big, but no antenna. They were still out of our price range, though. When I entered high school, most people had flip phones. But I was poor, so my family couldn't afford that. Finally, at like 16, Nokia released those $20 dinosaur phones. They weren't flip phones, but they had that snake game on them. Which was entertaining.

Point is? Back then, no 8 year old had a cell phone. Because it wasn't really standard technology. Times are changing, as times often do.

My opinion? Yes and no. I could say I didn't have a phone at 8. But we did have walkie talkies. My mom would keep one at the house, and we'd carry the rest with us. She'd page us on it when dinner was done, we'd do so for her if we were in any trouble. Same concept applied. They have kid plans and kid phones. You pre program like 3 numbers or something into the phone, and those are the only numbers the kid can call. I would say it depends on the situation and what you, as the parent, decide.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

So helpful. Sorry.

FaceTime is way better to keep in touch, if you have a computer

We do. We Skype with grandma. His cousin doesn't have a webcam/microphone though, and what they're trying to do is play Minecraft together. Not necessarily chat about their day. lol
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    if we do end up giving a cellphone to your child then load up a app like Life 360 so you can track/locate.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority here too. I’ve got 3 kids; all are happy, healthy, intelligent, well-adjusted kids. (Although they can occasionally be sarcastic little s***-heads which I’m secretly pleased about.)

They all have cell phones. The oldest got one at 16, middle got one at 13, youngest at 10. There is no drama, they don’t call 900 numbers, they haven’t lost them, they don’t run up bills.

They do call me when they are at a friend’s house and are getting ready to head home, they do text me when golf/basketball/softball/etc. practice is over early. Sometimes they even text me and tell me how much they love me.

Go ahead, get your 8-year old a phone. Just because “we” didn’t have cell phones when we were 8 doesn’t mean your kiddo shouldn’t have one. If it gives you peace, and if they are responsible, then there isn’t any harm.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    in my opinion no. My daughter is 11 and is constantly asking b/c a few of her friends in school have them. Since she is never in a situation where she is alone unsupervised without an adult or a land line present I still tell her no. Just as I do with make up in public, fake nails etc.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My son is 8, and has been asking for a cell phone. My answer..."who the heck do you need to call?!" He says, IDK.

My son has one of my old android phones for apps/games, and I got a home phone mostly for him (to learn how to use a phone, call 911 if needed, and other situations if needed.) Right now, there is no reason he needs a cell phone, as I don't plan on leaving him anywhere without supervision nor do I feel like he'd be in a situation away from our home that he'd need to call me.

I was 16 when I got my first cell phone, and I realize he will probably need one sooner than that (I'm thinking 12-14) but it will be because we have evaluated it and feel he NEEDS one, not because other kids have one.