Reached my goal weight, but I'm not satisifed with my body

Options
2»

Replies

• soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is only one part of the picture.

Now you have to learn to love yourself.

Most people who've been overweight have self-esteem issues. A lot of them feel like "a fat person in a skinny body." This is psychological. You cannot fix this with losing more weight. Being underweight is very dangerous – at your age, it leads to more short-term deaths than being overweight does (which leads to more long-term deaths).

It honestly sounds like you're verging on body dysmorphic disorder, which is typified by someone who exaggerates their flaws and sees problems with themselves that others don't, despite objectively being very slim. Whether you qualify for that or not, it definitely sounds like you have self-esteem issues, so I would really recommend talking to a therapist, a spiritual advisor, etc.

The journey of body transformation involves the body, but it also involves the mind.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctates on a daily basis and sometimes even hourly. why freak out over 2 pounds?

in any case, maybe look into something like strong lifts or strong curves and stop focusing on the scale weight and instead focus on how your body looks
    ^ THIS.

I kid you not, my weight fluctuates from 1-10 lbs. daily from water and undigested food, so I weigh anywhere from 110-120 daily.
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was 54 pounds, now i'm between 115 and 117 on most days. Same height as you, Lots of weight training is the trick :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Everyone has problem spots, more so out of being self conscience about it, than anyone else would notice. As far as your stomach, you probably already know what to do, Lots of crunchier, just make certain you're doing them right. If you do them wrong, it can make it bigger.

As far as loose skin, not certain how to rid yourself of that without surgery.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the responses! I definitely plan to stick to doing weights, and I hope that it really is just water weight and nothing more. Those random increases on the scale tend to worry me to bits, though.

As for the negative body image, you're probably all right about that as well. But I know that belly fat is the most unhealthy kind of fat to have, and it can pose health risks later as you get older, which is another reason I'm dead-set on eliminating as much of it as possible.

I don't think I am underweight. Doctors have told me that I am at a healthy weight, though I'm not sure where I would rank on a BMI chart.

Regardless, thank you for all the advice :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight but if you lose more you'll be below 'healthy weight' by BMI.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

When they say 'belly fat is the unhealthiest' they're talking about those of us that are apple-shaped and when we get very overweight or obese, we get fat around our organs, which is more dangerous than say in your rear end. The tiny bit of 'belly fat' you have left is not dangerous.

It's actually essential that you not lose too much body fat. You will stop menstruating because your body will consider itself too underfed to reproduce. Being underfat should be much more of a current concern to you than visceral fat around your organs.