Cost: 1.48$
1/6x1.50$ + 1/16*5.00$ + 1/6*2.50$ + 1/4*2.00$

Mirin'?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I dunno....

I think the Toast Sandwich takes the cake for Ultimate Poverty Dinner.

toast-sandwich-008.jpg
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't know. I think the ultimate poverty dinner is anything you get off the $1 menu at a fast food place
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i just bought 8 pounds of chicken leg quarters for 3$(which will feed my family three-four meals), and a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 3.50(which will last us a couple weeks)

idk i think i win
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    i just bought 8 pounds of chicken leg quarters for 3$(which will feed my family three-four meals), and a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 3.50(which will last us a couple weeks)
    But you have to know how to cook the chicken and potatoes are a pain to peel and prepare. Mine took as long to prepare as it took me to boil the eggs and still provides lots of macros, vitamins, fiber and satiation.

Not hatin', just saying it's two different approaches...
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    that'll get boring real quick
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB36Xklj0LJ10CBxx6dEO1fPhCa0LYxMuWS0YAAh-7hXnBnbBN7w
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I dunno....

toast-sandwich-008.jpg

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I second the ramen. Thousands of college kids agree.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options

idk i think i win

Sorry but impoverished people are unlike to have the proper cooking appliances to prepare this meal lmao
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You don't know poverty until you've lived off 15p instant noodles... ahhh first year university... you were bad for my diet... ^_^
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I dunno....

toast-sandwich-008.jpg

Luv it!
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    Options
    I think this one has more fiber

imag0001zm.jpg
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm with ramen as the ultimate poverty meal. Not exactly healthy, but I could get it for 10 cents a package when I was in college. I couldn't afford to put gas in my car, so I'd walk to the nearest grocery store and get as much ramen as I could! It was light weight and easy to carry!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I second the ramen. Thousands of college kids agree.

19 cents each

+1
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I always thought bag noodles (Ramen) were a poverty dinner.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Here in Mexico the ultimate poverty dinner is a corn tortilla wrapped around a dry chile....total : 55-60 calories.
    There are an average of 4 million people in a population of just over 112 million who are glad when they can eat three of those tacos more than once a day. Those are people with a family income of the equivalent of less than 1000.- ( yes; one thousand ! ) dollars a year.
    Normal poor people might add a half cup of cooked beans to that meal....and that's it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You don't know poverty until you've lived off 15p instant noodles... ahhh first year university... you were bad for my diet... ^_^
    Oh, I know ALL about that. Used to have a 40$/week spending budget, and 20-30 of those were spent on beer and smokes...

Problem with Ramen is that you'll be hungry again exactly 15 minutes after you're done eating.

ETA:
    Here in Mexico the ultimate poverty dinner is a corn tortilla wrapped around a dry chile...
    Well, the thread was supposed to be light-hearted...

I'm not sure what the real poverty dinner is here in the US. Back home (Romania), the ultimate poverty dinner would be fries. Potatoes and sunflower oil are both dirt-cheap and pan-frying can be done almost anywhere.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    But you have to know how to cook the chicken and potatoes are a pain to peel and prepare. Mine took as long to prepare as it took me to boil the eggs and still provides lots of macros, vitamins, fiber and satiation.

Not hatin', just saying it's two different approaches...

understandable, but i just threw them in the oven for an hour and a half. baked potatoes and chicken :laugh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB36Xklj0LJ10CBxx6dEO1fPhCa0LYxMuWS0YAAh-7hXnBnbBN7w

If you throw an egg or two in, you get protein that helps you stay feeling full. We ate this a LOT during our poverty days. I had to feed three people on $20 a week, so oodles of noodles and eggs were on the top of our grocery list.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Generic brand Cheerios with water. For dinner. That's the ultimate poverty dinner.