Strength training: working hard enough?

Options
I've been working on strength training for about a month. For now I'm just doing bodyweight exercises, as I'm a total wimp and those are hard enough for me. I had no real muscle to speak of, now I think I am actually getting some muscle. Anyway, at first, when I would work out, my muscles would be really, really sore and kind of weak the next day. Now that doesn't happen anymore. Am I supposed to still be feeling that, at least to some extent? If I'm not, does that mean I'm not working myself as much? How do I know I'm working out hard enough?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have muscle pain the next day. When it did happen, it means that your muscles weren't used to that sort of stress.

Gradually, you will be able to see yourself doing more repetitions and weights when you get to the point.

You'll know if you aren't working hard enough, if there isn't any improvement on strength.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The soreness you are referring to is called DOMS(Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Don't worry, it is very intense when you just start working, but if you stick with your strength training, you will feel it less and less, and maybe even not at all. Eventually you get to a point where your muscles are noticeably tired the next day but not sore and painful. Don't worry, it doesn't mean that your workout is less effective or that you're not working as hard. All it means is that your muscles are adapting to the workout which is what you want anyway. DOMS is in no way an indicator of a good workout, so you're fine.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I am still making progress so I must be doing okay.