Getting going

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
So I've followed by body pump plan for 4 out of 4 days!! ( day 2 was a rest day, but I did it). I feel like I have so far to go. How do you keep going despite how far you have to go?! I'm overwhelmed with the 50 lbs I could lose and how little my workouts seem to do in the grand scheme of things!

I know, I know- I didn't put it all on in a day..... That idea doesn't do much to calm my mind. Any other thoughts???

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Imagine you have to walk to the store a mile away. Those first few steps don't seem to take you very far, but keep taking steps and soon you'll be at your destination. It's all about progress.

...and now I have that silly christmas song in my head 'put one foot in front of the other....'
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Break it down into mini goals and celebrate those along the way. You can do a goal every month or based on specail holidays or something like that. Celebrate them when you reach them and feel good about it.
    2. Make goals besides just weight loss. Obviously losing weight makes be feel good but fitness goals make me feel even better. As I continue to hit new distances and paces while running I feel amazing about myself and how far I have come. For me that really keep me on track with my weightloss because just watching the diet and the number on the scale drags me down over time.
  • celinetmika
    celinetmika Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, look at the number of pounds you need to lose overall. Think however, of how good you will feel losing the first pound, and the first 5 pounds, and the first 10 pounds.... Every single pound you will lose will make you feel better and will make the workouts easier. You will not wake up all of a sudden 50 pounds lighter, you will lose the weight gradually and you are starting an amazing journey where you will feel lighter and better as you go.

Just. Keep. Working.

You can do it!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I made my first goal to lose 5 lbs, second was to lose 10, third is to get under a specific weight...coming up quick now: D
    I also made a goal of, at first, working out twice a week for 15 minutes at a time, then raising that goal. I'm now up to walking or running a mile every day of the week or running on my elliptical for 25 minutes on the days i just can't actually get out the door.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and hitting each little goal just motivates me more and more, and they all add up over time.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty stupid but I try to visualize what I would look and feel like a year from now if I simply kept things up.

It keeps me going even when there are excuses. I might be plopping my 250 lbs butt on a bike today to go for a long slow ride but a year from now there's a skinny guy passing folks and looking somewhat less laughable in his spandex riding shorts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i try not to think about the big giant goal that is a year or further away.

i try and think of short term goals. like little bricks, i start stacking them, and before i know it i'll have built something huge.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think to myself....If I just lose 1 # a MONTH, I'll be 24# lighter in 2 years.,.,...it's better than losing 0# & not trying at all. Looking back to 2 years ago and wishing i started this sooner....You dont get heavier or thinner overnight...dont be hard on yourself.....just kick yoursel in the butt and get going
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "How do you eat an elephant?"
    "One bite at a time."

Instead of keeping your eye on the big prize at the end of the long road make smaller goals for yourself and celebrate the little victories. My end goal is to get back to the shape I was in when I left the Army, but that is a long road ahead. In the mean time I am celebrating every time I drop 30 seconds off my run times, or adding another 20 pounds onto the bar. Eventually you turn around and realize those big scary goals are right in front of you.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just figure the time is going to pass. I can spend that time working towards my goals or I can just let the time go by. It's worked for me so far.