Abdominal & Obligue fat

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you guys giving advice! I'm at a calorie deficit to lose weight of course, but will this allow me to gain muscle as well? (I am doing about 50/50 cardio & strength each day) Should I put on more cardio until I'm closer to my goal weight? Also should I eat back some of my calories to help build a bit of my strength? Or leave my net low? (Still being at a deficit, of course.)

OP, doubtful you're going to gain muscle with what is explained here.....

Gaining muscle takes: An ON POINT diet (with a surplus of calories), Hours of proper lifting on a solid program (ab exercises are quite inefficient), and a ton of patience.......for guys. It's exponentially harder for women.

You can do 10,000 crunches a day, but if you have fat in other areas to burn, the body will (and there are much more efficient exercises for that). You can incorporate full body workouts that fire the core as well that would be much more efficient.

It takes:

A moderate caloric deficit + Work (cardio AND a heavy lifting program) + patience. You can get there with just 1 and 3, but would probably be happier if you incorporate all 3.

It's not about getting to a goal weight, it's about getting to a goal BF%. In a deficit you lose muscle, water, and fat. Lifting in a deficit is a cornerstone of your composition as lifting heavy will help you maintain muscle mass while losing mostly water and fat, thus lowering your BF%

I wouldn't sweat the isolated ab exercises. Many on this site with a nice midsection do a little to no isolated ab work. It's all about BF%, not weight.

Unless you're close to maintenance, you should always be eating back some of your exercise calories to properly fuel your body.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :) I'm wondering what type of workouts would help my back/stomach/obliques melt fat and tone up. I know "target area exercising" does NOT work, and more cardio will help rid the fat. However I was wondering if they will look better quicker with muscle building in those areas, and what workouts would help make it look better?
    I'm 5'4 and 174 lbs.

if you want a some want 'tone' or muscular look, then the answer is yes.

it will get you there faster then dieting until a certain point and then doing the core work.

wont necessairly burn fat any faster but would get you the desired effect sooner.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    2. Building muscle while in calorie deficit is improbable. There are exceptions, but it doesn't sound like you're one of them.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

you wont build mass but you will still condition the muscle, which, in my opinion could make a visible difference when the fat is stripped off.

if nothing else it would leave her in a better postion to build once she stops cuting.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking from a physical standpoint it seems to me that IF you work on the obliques... the outcome would be drawing the stomach in and tighter to the spine... which in my mind... would assist in reducing food intake by not providing that expanded room (as in an extended stomach?)... is that an incorrect assumption? of course it would help to focus work on all the ab muscles... in concert with the "core" ( or as one poster put it the trunk)... anyway... with a tighter set of oblique's wouldn't one expect the over all abdomen to be drwean in "tighter" ?