Good or bad?

Replies

• DeborahR
    Options
    I use ground turkey instead
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't like ground turkey.... I use 8% fat. Just try and get the leanest you can get.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Good or bad?

I eat it. Get the leaner ground beef. Drain it. Rinse it with hot water to take the grease off.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    even non vegetarians i know cant tell the taste difference in morningstar farms vegetarian meal starters veggie crumbles (when i was still dating my super super meat eating ex BF he LOVED the vegetarian "meat" balls i made with them...he said they tasted meaty). they have way less fat in them. :/
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    even non vegetarians i know cant tell the taste difference in morningstar farms vegetarian meal starters veggie crumbles (when i was still dating my super super meat eating ex BF he LOVED the vegetarian "meat" balls i made with them...he said they tasted meaty). they have way less fat in them. :/

I need the Iron that meat offers me. I went veggie for a while because I do not really care for meat and it bloats my stomach like nobody's business. But now I try to eat red meat once a week.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I use ground chicken for anything that calls for ground beef, not that a good extra lean ground beef isn't good for you once in awhile, I just can't stand ground beef!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my opinion of ground beef is it's just not worth it, at least if you're getting it from the supermarket. it's full of fillers and gristle and certainly not from one cow. part of me appreciates the want of wastlessness, but since each animal is treated so poorly in the first place, one patty can make a person pretty sick if it's infected.

one way to get rid of infectious meat is to irradiate it... so, that's not really good imo either. best to avoid it unless you can find it in an ethically-raised environment.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I saw some ground buffalo meat the other day and was curious about that. When I get ground beef it is as lean as I can find. I mostly use ground turkey breast.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Bison meat is great! It is very lean and most bison ranchers raise their animals naturally.

I never use ground beef anymore. I alwyas use ground turkey. I can't tell a difference. For hamburgers I would recommend the bison.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut beef, including ground beef, from a healthy diet. Like most things, everything in moderation is the key.

Nutrition Facts and Information about Beef:
    Beef is found to be very rich in Zinc, Selenium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Magnesium. Sodium and Copper are found in good quantities. However, minute quantities of Calcium and Mangnese are also present.

Vitamin Content of Beef:
    Beef is one of the best source for Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6 Niacin and Riboflavin. However, it is also rich in Thiamin and Pantothenic Acid. Small amounts of Vitamin E, Vitamin K and Folate are present.

Calorie Content of Beef:
    The calorie count of Beef per 100 gm is 155.0, it is meat which is higher in protein and moderate in fat.

Health Benefits of Beef:
    Beef is good for bones and teeth. It enhances immunity against infections of ear etc., and prevents blood vessel walls from damaging. Moderate consumption of lean beef is altogether good for cardiovascular health and to prevent cancer risks.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut beef, including ground beef, from a healthy diet. Like most things, everything in moderation is the key.

Nutrition Facts and Information about Beef:
    Beef is found to be very rich in Zinc, Selenium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Magnesium. Sodium and Copper are found in good quantities. However, minute quantities of Calcium and Mangnese are also present.

Vitamin Content of Beef:
    Beef is one of the best source for Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6 Niacin and Riboflavin. However, it is also rich in Thiamin and Pantothenic Acid. Small amounts of Vitamin E, Vitamin K and Folate are present.

Calorie Content of Beef:
    The calorie count of Beef per 100 gm is 155.0, it is meat which is higher in protein and moderate in fat.

Health Benefits of Beef:
    Beef is good for bones and teeth. It enhances immunity against infections of ear etc., and prevents blood vessel walls from damaging. Moderate consumption of lean beef is altogether good for cardiovascular health and to prevent cancer risks.

this assumes that the beef has been raised properly; not necessarily what you're buying at a major supermarket. otherwise, great information!