Denatured Protein Powder

Options
Hi,

I know this has been discussed here and on other parts of the internet but I can't find an explanation of what I am wondering.

I have read that when heated, proteins denature, which I have seen as an argument against heating protein powder.

If heating denatures protein, does it have an impact on the nutritional value and if so, to what extent?

I purchased my favourite protein powder (Nature's Way, Soy protein) but it has been in the heat.

Does it impact on how effective it is in increasing satiety. And if so, to what extent?

Replies

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    All denaturing means is that the protein comes out of it's naturally occurring, 3 dimensional folded structure. It is still the same polypeptide chain though. Seeing as your body doesn't absorb polypeptides but breaks every piece of protein down into single amino acids or very short chains of 2-3 amino acids before it is absorbed by your intestines, I can't possibly imagine it would make a difference from a nutritional viewpoint as to whether or not the protein is denatured prior to ingestion.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That site is such a useful resource.

I guess what I had trouble getting my head around is where the idea of heat diminishing the nutritional value of protein powder came from, if there is not truth to it whatsoever. And when protein powders were on sale I would always wonder if they were about to 'expire' or if they had been in the heat and 'denatured'.

I think I will now get on board with protein powder baking and stop rifling through the shelf of quest bars for the most solid-looking one. Haha.