Sugar Rush!

Options
Hey MFPals!

Was wondering - does anyone else have a serious sweet tooth like I do?
In my daily food diary, I exceed my sugar goal nearly every day! : (

I know the solution is to quit eating candy - but man is that tough.
Has anyone else had any success kicking their sugar habit?
I've heard that going cold turkey is the best way!

I stopped drinking pop a few years ago (not on purpose, just kind of stopped) and now I NEVER crave it.
I imagine dropping candy the same way might work!

Just wondering what other thoughts people have on this!

Thanks!
Brittney

Replies

• VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm a carboholic and sugar addict but had no choice but to change because it was causing me more health problems then I ever would have guessed...

Do you get frequent headaches or dizziness?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have one of the biggest out there.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Once you get the processed sugar and artifical sweetners out of your diet.. It may take a good consitant 30 days you should not Crave that bad sugar. Instead eat your fruits and use honey and natrual maple sryup instead. I was having trouble for a while and now I hardly crave the bad sugars. If I eat a piece of pie or somthing that has alot of that bad sugar in it My blood sugar spikes and then I crash and almost go into a sugar coma becoming really tired and generally fall a sleep. So I know to stay away from it. I have been off it for a while and maybe maybe once in a while have a couple pieces of candy ect. I know what it will do to my now so i avoid it. GOOD LUCK and yes it is possible to kick it. Sugar is an ADDICTION just like anything else out there.
  • mcanals123
    Options
    im on the same boat i cant stop craving sweets even more when that tom comes around oh god but someone here on the site told me chocolate chips arent too bad and i bought some yesterday n its 70 cals per 36 chips which isnt too bad
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a serious sugar problem as well and have "quit" many times only to relapse later on.

For me I have to set small goals. I started with no more coke, I was having a coke a day, which doesnt seem like much but it is a LOT of sugar. From there I cut out candy. Etc etc. Baby steps for me otherwise the cravings are so intense I can't handle it.

The evenings and around 3pm are the hardest for me. I have started having a coffee with a little creamer at 3pm as a way to "satisfy" that sweet craving without much actual sugar/ calories. In the evenings I have been having granola with yogurt (which I realize still has a decent amount of sugar in it) instead of the candy/ice cream/ cake etc. It also doesn't create a "spike" in blood sugar because of the additional fiber in the granola as well as the protein from the yogurt so I don't "rebound" at 10pm before bed.

Another snack that helps satisfy the sweet craving for me is frosted mini wheats. Again none of this is as "good" as fruit etc but the extra fiber etc helps me feel more full and less sugar-y if that makes any sense.

I just had to cut off candy again because I got out of control with Halloween candy. Thanksgiving will be nothing sweet other than apple pie, which I can't eat more of than a small piece anyway.

**Edited to add**

The big plus with getting rid of sugar not only is the weight loss but the more stable moods (sugar wacks out my mood), better energy levels, better sleep at night, and even clearer skin.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    It happens to me also... I have found some 100 calorie fat free fig newtons. They keep me from binging. :bigsmile:
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The big plus with getting rid of sugar not only is the weight loss but the more stable moods (sugar wacks out my mood), better energy levels, better sleep at night, and even clearer skin.

I totally agree! I am in sugar he!! right now cuz of Halloween but am trying to rebound. I realized this week I felt horrible and bloated and gross...i'm blaming the sugar!

good luck!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have tried hard to quit / limit the sugar / candy from my diet. Of course Halloween hasn't helped as I've been eating some and now I need to get back on track. My biggest trick is that when I'm totally craving that sweetness I find one piece I can have and make it something long lasting, for me that tends to be one jolly rancher on my way back from lunch every day. I just suck on it and it lasts quite a while so it definitely helps the craving but doesn't hinder my progress.

Maybe some kind of sugar free gum would help since it would give you the taste and the ability to chew on something?

Or else try to find something good and sweet like has been said - fruits, home made fruit/veggie chips, honey nut cheerios are a life saver most days for me as well, just keep it all in mind :) and good luck!