Egg Salad

Options
Craving egg salad, is that bad for you? Anyone have a healthy, yum recipe? Thanks!

Replies

• suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would use light or fat free miracle whip! :-) Love me some egg salad!
  • Deebo958
    Options
    Here is an oldie but goodie from my WW days. Take a serving of lower fat cottage cheese and smash/smoosh it with a fork. Add a chopped up boiled egg or two to that along with some salt and pepper. You can even add some celery or celery salt. I don't even put it on bread most of the time, but rather just eat it with a fork.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options

Does that all egg salad calls for, mayo & eggs? Ive never made it
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make one with 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Fat Free Miracle Whip and a little French Mustard later, I slap it on an Arnold's Multi-Grain Sandwich Thin... Delish!

I also add some salt and pepper to taste. :)
  • MandyMandz
    Options
    Im having egg salad for dinner tonight! Yummm.Just watch the mayo.. Mayo=a lot of fat. lol. I only try to eat it once in a while. But its soooo good!! :)
  • samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options
    Eat Clean Diet has a really healthy egg salad recipe. I have never made it but the reviews on it were awesome!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Im having egg salad for dinner tonight! Yummm.Just watch the mayo.. Mayo=a lot of fat. lol. I only try to eat it once in a while. But its soooo good!! :)

I dont really care for mayo, only if its a little. I prefer mustard.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Does that all egg salad calls for, mayo & eggs? Ive never made it

mayo or cottage cheese or greek yogurt, you don't need alot... i also like to add really finely chopped or processed red onion. and a bit of salt and pepper.:)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    egg salad is a cultural food, so there are many, many ways to make it.

the most standard recipe is simply hard boiled eggs, mayo & mustard. because it's so simple, you can alter it in many ways. instead of mayo (which is really just eggs & oil) use stone ground mustard, or a tiny bit of olive oil.

i like to add chopped pickles. i've had it with minced celery, which is also very good.

chopped herbs (like parsely, cilantro, oregano or basil) is also nice.

i don't care for the sweetness of miracle whip, myself, but some people like it. try it with any type of salad dressing, but just watch how much you use is all.
  • nancdag
    Options
    Eggs in moderation are good for you. I eat them this way which is low in calories but you have to like tomatoes. Chop up your hard boiled eggs. Then add to them a chopped up tomato, juice and all. The juice from the tomato is what holds the eggs together. Then season to taste with what ever you like. Hope this helps.
  • thrasherette
    Options
    I use a little light mayo and some mustard. You can add a little pickle relish, or just put pickles on your sandwich. I also use pepper. My daughter likes to add a bit of paprika as well. If you want to bulk up your sandwich a bit, add a slice of tomato and some lettuce as well. So yummy!
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here is an oldie but goodie from my WW days. Take a serving of lower fat cottage cheese and smash/smoosh it with a fork. Add a chopped up boiled egg or two to that along with some salt and pepper. You can even add some celery or celery salt. I don't even put it on bread most of the time, but rather just eat it with a fork.

Ooh, that sounds good. Thanks for the tip, Dejomo958!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    egg salad is a cultural food, so there are many, many ways to make it.

the most standard recipe is simply hard boiled eggs, mayo & mustard. because it's so simple, you can alter it in many ways. instead of mayo (which is really just eggs & oil) use stone ground mustard, or a tiny bit of olive oil.

i like to add chopped pickles. i've had it with minced celery, which is also very good.

chopped herbs (like parsely, cilantro, oregano or basil) is also nice.

i don't care for the sweetness of miracle whip, myself, but some people like it. try it with any type of salad dressing, but just watch how much you use is all.

mmm. all very good suggestions everyone.. thank you
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I usually use all the egg whites and only half the yolks, low fat mayo and a whole grain mustard, I add celery, red or green onion and pickles.
  • knipper01
    Options
    I always add green onion and a dusting of cayene to mine....so good