Need Some Heart-Rate Advice

Gershwyn
Gershwyn Posts: 88
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing a 35-minute bike-ride every day for the past 10 days, over somewhat hilly terrain. As you can see in my sig, I'm 1/4 of the way to losing 45 lbs. I have no cardio issues, and reasonly good genetics in this regard.

This is what my HR looks like:

hr.GIF

[ Avg. HR: 163 bpm -- Max HR: 200 bpm (probably an error) ]

According to one heart-rate chart, being in my early 40's, I should have a peak HR of 144 bpm. According to another, it's 179 bpm.

So, should I set an alert when my HR goes above a certain level, and coast for a bit, or is there a bit of leeway in all this heart-rate stuff?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    The formula for max hr (that I use) is 206.3-(0.711*age). If you are 42 that is a max HR of 176. If you are over the max HR for long periods of time, that would be overtraining. If your average is 168 then you are in a zone where you would be improving your cardio. It is important to take a day of at least 1 per week to recover. However, you should see your average HR start to lower. If you find that your start HR is already in the 100's, you need a break.

Good Luck.
  • Yep, I take a day off a week. Is start HR different than resting HR?
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    OMG MATH!!!!!!!

*runs*
  • OMG MATH!!!!!!!

Tell me about it. Today, I'm just setting my Forerunner to <beep> when I go below 148 bpm, and when I go above 178 bpm.

I'll see how that goes.

More than likely, I'll sound like a garbage truck backing up.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    This is a good post...my BPM is 153, i'm usually around 163 - 170 though, does this affect my cardio? or my calorie burn? i feel good, i'm not about to have a heart attack or anything...sometimes my shoulder or my collar bone hurts, but i figure that's because i'm breathing really heavy so i slow down a bit...
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You can also tell a lot by your perceived exertion level.

I found this comparison chart
    The 20-Point Scale:

6- No exertion at all
    7-
    8- Extremely light
    9- Very light
    10-
    11- Light
    12-
    13- Somewhat hard
    14-
    15- Hard
    16-
    17- Very hard
    18-
    19- Extremely Hard
    20- Maximal Exertion

Using the 6-20 point scale a rating of 12 would correspond to approximately .55 % of THR zone and 16 to approximately .85% of THR zone.

So you can get a feel for what is normal for you and stay in that zone. More than anything I would go by how you feel. I can feel when my HR gets up to 90% and slow down a little. Likewise, if I'm not feeling it, I know to push a little harder. Usually when I look at my watch I am right on the #s for how I feel.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    so i'm only working slightly harder when my heart rate is up to 163? it feels like serious exertion lol...once i hit 170 i slow down though because there's a lot of bells and whistles on the stairmaster warning you that you're about to have a heart attack...i don't feel it but i'm definitely winded
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You should, generally speaking, be able to carry on a conversation (albeit possibly a little broken) when working out. If you are pushing too hard to talk slow down a little. Bursts into the higher heart rates are OK, but you dont want to keep it there.
  • Here's todays:

hr2.GIF

The alarm isn't too bad -- kinf of like a bird chiping. You'll notice I stopped for a break when my HR got a little too high, so there's a quick drop-off when I stopped the timer on my Garmin.
  • Chenoachem
    Yep, I take a day off a week. Is start HR different than resting HR?

Yes they are. Resting HR is assuming you have not moved at all and have been still and quiet for at least 30 seconds. Start HR is when you have been walking around some. If you are too cardio tired, your HR will shoot up really fast from your resting HR. If you are not cardio tired, then your HR will gradually increase.

Does that make sense?
  • Chenoachem
    If you are really interested in getting the most out of your HRM, you might consider something like this.

Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot [Paperback]
    John L. Parker Jr. (Author)
This discussion has been closed.