Exercise options

Options
As many women here I am trying to juggle many things at the same time and somewhere in between my health and fitness comes in. Im a full-time accountant and have a 8month old baby, while my husband travels 4 days out of a 7 day week.

I leave to work around 6:30am and get home around 7:00pm, by this time I come home to eat dinner and get things ready for my baby the next day and go to sleep around 10:00pm so I have enough energy for the next day because my baby still wakes up every 2 hours to feed and since I wake up 5:30am to get ready for work its really rough to try to fit in a workout routine.

I know a lot of women here have many things on their plate also, so I would like some ideas as to fitting in my schedule a workout routine.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I haven't been working out, but I generally do it after my girls go to bed. I'm not sure that would work for you. How about breaks and/or lunch. Could you workout then? Even get in a brisk walk?
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I leave for work at 6:30 and then get to my 2nd job by 4:30 and home (hopefully) by 9 so I'm having the same issues. I'd love to read what others recommend.

For now, I just do some sit ups, squats and a few strenghthening exercises with the weights I bought, while I'm watching TV. I know its not much but at least I'm building some muscles.

Sorry it wasn't much to recommend. I do fit in more cardio on the weekends. Its just week days I can't seem to fit it in.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would say go for walks on your lunch break too or maybe get a treadmill or exercise bike to do while you watch some t.v. after supper or while you cook supper.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I exercise during my lunch break, as well as try to do a DVD when the kids go to bed. Also, when hubby is home I try to exercise extra to make up for time lost. Can you take your baby on a walk in the stroller? You may not be able to go as fast, but you can still get something done.
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, you just made me feel a lot better about my schedule. I also am a working mother, and a full-time student (going back to college to get my teaching degree). I have convinced myself that I have no time to work out when really I could easily get up earlier in the morning and get it done then. Sounds like your schedule is crazy hectic! Maybe you could sneak 10 minute increments in here and there; they say it doesn't have to be all at once as long as you are getting some activity. I think I am going to get the 30 Day Shred. I have seen a lot of posts on here and it looks realistic...20-30 minutes a day. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    How long are your breaks? I would try to get a walk in. I used to do that till they changed hours on us. I would eat on the 15 minute break and walk the parking lot during the half hour lunch. Every little bit helps!
  • luvngirl
    Options
    I get 30min lunch with no other breaks in betweeb...accounting its rough!! :noway:

And I am also a youth pastor at my church, so when I have time, I'm usually at church with the kids....LOL :laugh:

I don't want to sound like I am giving excuses not to workout but I am trying to be realistic as to what I can do without breaking my body down.:frown:

I was trying to do a little cardio before bed (whenever not exhausted)..and walking on saturday mornings...but sometimes I think that this might not be enough to get me to my "goal". :cry:
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you can do at your desk while your working? Maybe you could do some stomach crunches at work or sitting at a red light on your way to work. i would look up to see if there are any leg or "workplace" workouts online that can help you. Try standing up instead of sitting at your desk for a bit if you can.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I don't know how realistic it is, but you can get one of those big balls to sit on at work. If you work with the public, you might not want to do that though.

I recently read a study that said doing 3 - 10 minute bouts of cardio was just as effective, if not more, than doing 30 minutes. Can you get in that? Maybe do 10 minutes in the morn, 10 minutes at lunch, and 10 minutes before bedtime.

It is rough. Do what you can do. I believe that sleep is almost more important than exercise, especially when you aren't getting it. Your little one will decrease feeding through the night at some point. Maybe you can wait until then to try to up the exercise as you'll be getting more sleep then. Concentrate on eating well and your calories for now and get whatever exercise you can. Losses can be had this way too.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Oh, I know there are some threads around here that said people would do wall push ups on their bathroom break, among other things. Try searching for exercises to do in the office, you might find some things worthwhile that you can do at work, or your youth groups.
  • gabs2
    gabs2 Posts: 1
    Options
    WELL AS YOU KNOW I HAVE A 2 MONTH OLD AND A 2 YEAR OLD... SO WHAT I DO IS THAT BEFORE GOING TO SLEEP, I TAKE 20 MINS TO EXERCISE...