Just starting out

Options
Hi Everyone!
Dieting has always been a struggle for me, and I always seem to give up without reaching my goal. I have tried about every diet, but nothing has stuck. I am determined to lose 28 pound by my 19th birthday in February. I'm 5'6" and 158 pounds and would love to be a healthy 130. I would love some help and tips if anyone has anything to offer.

Replies

• franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    :happy: you've come to the right place for support and advice. Do you exersice?
  • mgmirador
    Options
    WOW.. 5'6" and you want to be 130?!?! I'm 5'6" and haven't been 130 since high school. I've just went from 165 to (today) 148. My goal is 140 and I'm hitting this plateau that won't let me below 145. When you get down to this point, please let me know what you did to do it. We can help each other. My little bit of advice: stick with it even when you eat more than your share of calories. Every day is a new count.

Happy Counting!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    WOW.. 5'6" and you want to be 130?!?! I'm 5'6" and haven't been 130 since high school. I've just went from 165 to (today) 148. My goal is 140 and I'm hitting this plateau that won't let me below 145. When you get down to this point, please let me know what you did to do it. We can help each other. My little bit of advice: stick with it even when you eat more than your share of calories. Every day is a new count.

Happy Counting!

I'm the same as you - 5'6 and my goal - sooooo close - is 140-145!

I started off my MFP journey in May at 166lbs... plateaued for a couple (or 3) months at 155 and now it's falling off again... albeit slowly.

Top tips?
    - Do a warts'n'all diary for a week to see your own eating patterns - log absolutely everything, including exact weights. I found I could straight away knock 700-800 cals off my daily intake by simply not eating so many snacks and drinking so much coffee, as well as not eating a double portion of rice/pasta! My actual meals could stay pretty much the same!
    - Don't crash diet and drop to 1200 - you haven't got that much to lose and your body will protest. I've lost the weight eating between 1400-1600 cals a day, with the occasional over 1800 day. I lead a reasonably active life, but can't get to a gym... but if I do go for a long walk or something, I add it in and pretty much eat all the extra cals.

I think it's about teaching yourself habits that you are happy and able to stick to for the rest of your life.

Good luck!
  • micaeladh
    Options
    Thank you for everyone that responded! I can definitely feel the support!

But replying to franzy, yes I do exercise, but not nearly enough. I have a gym membership and I want to try to go to circuit training classes 3 times a week and then maybe go for a run or do something else another day. Do yo have any tips?
  • brosteve55
    Options
    it is simple: to lose weight you eat right and less and exercise more. Behavior modification is the name of the game. You learn to live healthy and be healthy by watching how much you eat, what you eat, when you eat, plus getting a routine of regular exercise. It is behavior all the way.:smile: Brosteve55
  • Oliviagp
    Options
    Im just starting out myself....I'm really excited for the change in the new me!! : ) With will power & prayer...I will get there!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just found this website today and thought I would give it a try. I am currently training for a half marathon in April an trying to loose some weight in the process. I jogged/walked the mini last year but weighed 155lbs I am now down to about 120. I have 20 more pounds to go to reach my goal!! I don't like to weigh myself very often, usually just at the doctors office. I just tend to tell by how my clothes fit. I am hoping this website will be the push I need to get those last 20lbs off to get me back to that prebaby weight of 12 yrs ago!! = )