What for supper tonight!

Options
Meag83
Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
I'm trying to decide what I can make for supper tonight that is healthy, delicious, and easy for my whole family (5 of us). I often will grab something on my way home or we will go out on Friday nights- I'm trying to change that habit! Any GREAT suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am in a Friday-night-eat-out rut as well...need some quick, easy alternatives, that aren't my normal mid week chicken and rice and veggies :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza party. Whole wheat pizza dough or low carb tortillas (or flatout wraps) and healthy toppings in bowls for all to load up on veggies, cheese (reduced fat), sauces (low fat tomato or FRESH pesto and some turkey or chicken sausage and browned ground turkey.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    Stuffed Giant Red Peppers FTW!

Just keep track of the ingredients, it's a tough one to calculate the calories for.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I love spaghetti with Barilla noodles, a couple jars of ragu and I add turkey meat (or sometimes chicken) and you can give bread to those of your family that want to have some. I have a (young) family of 5, so I know what you mean!

Sloppy joes are good and quick too (we like to put ours over baked potatoes {the meat and sauce of course, omit bread}, and if you use ground turkey, it is a healthy meal).

Another one I like to do is bowtie pasta with turkey sausage cut into disks (brown them) then stir in the cooked pasta with the sausage, and add some chopped tomatoes and olives (and turkey pepperoni too)!

Can you tell we eat a lot of turkey? :happy:
    Anyway, hope you get some more great ideas! And NEVER forget the trusty crockpot! If you do a search for crockpot recipes, there are a TON on here.
    Good cooking to ya!

P.S. If you use the recipe function under your foods menu, you can see exactly how much each meal is "worth".
  • tbranch3634
    Options
    Make your own pizza party. Whole wheat pizza dough or low carb tortillas (or flatout wraps) and healthy toppings in bowls for all to load up on veggies, cheese (reduced fat), sauces (low fat tomato or FRESH pesto and some turkey or chicken sausage and browned ground turkey.

My husband likes his pizza with BBQ sauce instead of tomato. The kids really like it too, because they get to make their own the way they like it.
  • dreamm
    dreamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi try this website for health meal ideas. http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

1331816.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mlhall53
    Options
    Pasta Primavera . . . use whole wheat pasta and only cook enough for the REAL serving size. Spray large pan with veg spray and saute any combination of veggies you like . . . sliced yellow squash and/or zucchini, diced onions, green or other colored bell peppers, mushrooms (any type). Toward the end, you can throw in cherry tomatoes or other sliced tomatoes --- Fill up on the veggies! You can add a small can of tomato sauce (doesn't need to drip with sauce, just enough to toss with the pasta). Alternative, though more fat, is a tablespoon or two of pesto. Season to taste (basil, oregano, parsley . . . "italian" spices)
  • Meag83
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! Keep 'em coming!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I do Chicken and Rice combos A LOT. The Bf is kinda picky but really enjoys. If you have a big skillet its super easy.

All my combos start off like this:

Get your rice going (about 1/3 dry cup for every person eating +2/3 c water = 1 cup ea) - cook until almost done.
    Grill up your chicken (I'd say 4-6 oz for each person) in the skillet (however you want, chunks, strips, full breasts)
    Add rice to cooked chicken in the skillet

Then, depending on what kind of chicken/rice you want you can:

Lemon Chicken
    Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 2 tbsp of lemon juice and a veggie of your choice (I like the pre sliced carrots) and some lemon pepper and simmer until the water boils off, stirring occasionally

Taco Chicken
    Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and sprinkle taco seasoning (I made my own mix from google, but Ortega or whatever works too- just use water tho if you use store Taco seasoning so as not to overload on sodium) and veggie of choice (I like frozen peas). Simmer until water boils off, stirring occasionally

Chicken Parm and Rice
    (For this one, when I am doing "treat night" I will bread the chicken and cook in 1 tsp oil for every chicken breast, but it works fine with just grilling also.) Add tomato sauce (I like the 69cent Huntz cans) and veggie of choice (I use spinach) and simmer for about 10 min- adding water if it looks dry. Spinkle cheese over each chicken breast.

Veggies can all be done on the side too if you have any picky eaters.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    There was a great stuffed zucchini recipe on here if you search it. I made it for peppers and it was really really good.

I don't know what we will have tonight, but yesterday I made angel hair pasta and on it put: alfredo sauce with grilled chicken cubes, mushrooms, and broccoli. It was really good and easy and about a cup of the chicken on 2 oz of pasta was about 500 or 550. I am sure you could make it lighter by making your own garlic cream sauce rather than a can of Alfredo if you wanted.

I also want to try this someday when I have a little extra grocery money to buy shrimp!
    http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/special-occasions/healthified-garlic-shrimp-pasta.aspx?WT.dcsvid=MzYwNTQ2NDA2MAS2&rvrin=DCFDE9FA-437B-4BDE-8EBE-479DADD69A0A&WT.mc_id=Newsletter_2010_10_06
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I am making jambalaya tonight. Haven't had it in a while and can't hardly stand waiting. I love that whole house smells awesome for a day afterwards. :-)
  • Meag83
    Options
    I looked at the website. It has some good ideas! Thanks

There was a great stuffed zucchini recipe on here if you search it. I made it for peppers and it was really really good.

I don't know what we will have tonight, but yesterday I made angel hair pasta and on it put: alfredo sauce with grilled chicken cubes, mushrooms, and broccoli. It was really good and easy and about a cup of the chicken on 2 oz of pasta was about 500 or 550. I am sure you could make it lighter by making your own garlic cream sauce rather than a can of Alfredo if you wanted.

I also want to try this someday when I have a little extra grocery money to buy shrimp!
    http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/special-occasions/healthified-garlic-shrimp-pasta.aspx?WT.dcsvid=MzYwNTQ2NDA2MAS2&rvrin=DCFDE9FA-437B-4BDE-8EBE-479DADD69A0A&WT.mc_id=Newsletter_2010_10_06
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    We make veggie pizza!!! You can buy your own crust, or make it yourself. There are tons of great wholegrain pizza crust recipes online. then we all choose our toppings, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, artichokes, even broccoli and cauliflower, usually whatever I have in the fridge and everyone is happy.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am making Island Pork tenderloin. Its a dry rub with cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper, garlic, minced, fresh ginger, cayenne pepper, some brown sugar, a little canola oil, tabasco, juice and zest of a lime. Let it marinade for at least 30 minutes. Grill it or you can pan sear it then finish it off in the oven.

I serve it over spinach, red and yellow bell peppers with a cumin vinegrette (cumin, olive oil, a little apple juice, grapeseed oil or EVOO) Shake and viola!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    A nice bottle of Ruffino Chanti 2009
    Nice starter salad
    Pesto Artichoke flatbread
    Blackened Salmon
    Grilled asparagus
    Mocha cappuccinos
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    A nice bottle of Ruffino Chanti 2009
    Nice starter salad
    Pesto Artichoke flatbread
    Blackened Salmon
    Grilled asparagus
    Mocha cappuccinos

What time? What can I bring?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    7pm Central time. You are always welcome. Please bring some kahlua shooters. :drinker: :drinker: