Entering home cooked meals

Options
How do you properly enter in calories and all that good stuff when you are entering in your home cooked meals? Do you add up every ingrediant? That sounds very time consuming. For instance I am making homeade chili tonight with tomato pasta, diced tomatos, celery, carrots, gound beef and beans. Thanks!

Replies

• happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Add all the ingredients into the recipe builder under the Food tab and it will calculate it for you. It helps since it sounds like that would be a big batch that you would have several times. You only have to do it once and it's stored for you the next time you make chili.
  • groucherella
    Options
    It can be time consuming, but I make myself create the recipe in the recipe builder.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a broken record... but definitely use the recipe builder. It makes things SOOOO much easier.

Oh, and I recommend that you add it BEFORE you eat dinner - that way you know how much a portion will set you back (I've also found on more than one occasion that my meal was healthier than I expected and I could have a little more if I really wanted it).
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I look for the closest (most similar) recipe on AllRecipes.com and enter that in - so I don't have to add up all the ingredients.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Not to sound like a broken record... but definitely use the recipe builder. It makes things SOOOO much easier.

Oh, and I recommend that you add it BEFORE you eat dinner - that way you know how much a portion will set you back (I've also found on more than one occasion that my meal was healthier than I expected and I could have a little more if I really wanted it).

good to know. thank you
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Add all the ingredients into the recipe builder under the Food tab and it will calculate it for you. It helps since it sounds like that would be a big batch that you would have several times. You only have to do it once and it's stored for you the next time you make chili.

hmmm, what do you suggest I put for # of servings??
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Usually when I make chili in the crock pot I get about SIX 2cup servings. I also make batches of things and seperate them into tupperware containers for preportioned meals. So...maybe you can freeze it and find out how much you have???
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    when you are done entering everything, it gives you a total, and then you can decide on the number of servings based on how many calories are in it and how many you have left from your total for the day.. It sounds time consuming to record everything you eat but it really isn't, it takes just minutes a day and it keeps you accountable