Sit-Ups, You're Doing It Wrong

Options
Okay! So this is somewhat-very embarrassing. I can't do a sit up. You know, that move where you start flat on your back and then magically you're sitting up saying hello to your knees? I can't do that. It makes me a little sad, but I can accept that for now.

This is the embarrassing part. I cannot *lift my shoulder blades off the floor*. I can bob my head up and down like a moron and my shoulders wiggle a little. But I can't even identify the muscles necessary to perform a curl. Much less a full blown sit up.

A few things of interest:

1. My 'girls' are massive. I have no idea if this in any way makes a sit up more challenging, but I would think having the equivalent of a 2 year old sitting on your chest might make it harder.

2. I've had a baby. Now I realize this in and of itself probably makes no difference, but I noticed a marked difference in the strength of my stomach muscles before and after my little bean popped out.

3. I have very strong muscles in my lower abdomen. Those floor exercises where you extend your legs out and raise and lower them? I own those moves.

I don't need defined abs. I don't even need a totally flat stomach. But it would definitely make my day to find out whatever the muscles are that I need to do a sit up, and maybe torture them into shape a little. So... help? :ohwell:

Replies

• flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    dont be flat on your back. just go down enough to where youre at least an inch off the floor. i used to do this and it makes it easier and it also helps your core muscles.. best luck to ya
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I started out doing modified sit-ups. Lay on the floor with your legs flat on the ground and hold your arms out for balance. (kind of mid-way between your legs and straight up, if that makes sense). You use the balance of your arms being out to help pull you up into a sit-up. That should help you work those muscles into shape...at least it did for me. I could never do a regular sit-up before, but after a few weeks of the modified ones, I can now do 5 regular ones in a row before I want to die. I know 5 isn't much, but it's a start.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I can do them, but after doing 10 one day, I waited two days and did 20, and then really felt it in my stomach, so that two days later when I tried again, I could only do 10, so that taught me not to push it too fast. Having just had a baby, you want to take it easy, you put your body thru a lot and it needs some time to recover, and doing situps works your stomach muscles so of course they will be tough at first.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I would suggest doing your crunches on a Balance Ball. Ease your butt forward a little extra so you are not lying flat... but a little slanted upwards. Then start from a point where you can do 10. As a set of 10 gets easier, lean back a little further until you are at the point where you are doing 10 with your back parallel to the ground.

This eases you into the exercise.

Its like easing into push ups by doing them with your legs spread wide... then slowly bringing you legs closer together. This is much more effective than doing them from your knees. It allows a gradual increase in weight distribution that sets you up for success instead of struggling with a jump from your knees to your feet.

Meghan
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can do a sit up standing up! haha all you do is lift your knee and cross you oppsite elbow so that they meet, then do the oppsite with the oppsite leg, sort of like your doing a marching action but high enough where your elbows tough your knees
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can defanitly tell a differance from before kids to now that situps are difficult. Once you work those muscles enough it gets easier.
    I can do well over 60 in 2 minutes but at one point i could barely do 10.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You can do a sit up standing up! haha all you do is lift your knee and cross you oppsite elbow so that they meet, then do the oppsite with the oppsite leg, sort of like your doing a marching action but high enough where your elbows tough your knees
    These standing abs workouts would be easier to begin with and will help build up your abs. Once they become too easy, then you can transition to the floor.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I haven't had kids yet but from comments by those who have I stand well informed that my situps are going to suck afterwards, which is sad because right now I can do 65 in a minute :(
  • bobcatsmom
    bobcatsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    try this: lay on the floor, bend your knees, and put your feet flat (hip distance apart); put your hands under your head, fingers lightly touching behind your ears. Now, lift your tail bone slightly, flatten your lower back to the floor, inhale and pull your belly button toward your spine.Hold then slowly release. Practice this for a few days to really get the feel of what your abs need to do to help you lift your shoulders. If you haven't worked your mid-core, you may feel these muscles after you've practiced.

when you try a crunch the key is to keep your lower back flat (or as close as possible) on the floor - a little curve in the lower back is normal. don't pull your head up with your hands, just curl up slightly, keeping your eyes toward your knees - lift your shoulders as you exhale, hold for a second or two, then roll back as you inhale. another way to work your abs is to work in a plank position (similar to a push-up position, but you are not working from your hands/wrists) - keep your elbows under your shoulders, knees or feet on the floor, butt down, abs in - if you are on your toes, make sure you are not in an inverted V - it's better to work from your knees until you have the strength to be on your toes. hold this position for 10 seconds, and work up to a minute or two. :sad:

all the latest research in exercise physiology indicates that 'bicycles' are the best, most efficient and effective method of strengthening your abdominal muscles - since you already have strong lower abs/hip flexors you might want to try some of those too.

hope this helps --- keep up the good work!:drinker:
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you can't do a situp then do a reverse situp. Start in the seated position (where you're sitting up saying hello to your knees) and then slowly lower yourself to the lying back position. Roll over, sit up and repeat. Keep doing this until you build enough core strength to do a regular situp.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    One thing to note about abs and having kids...

When I was pregnant with both my kids, I kept fit. This helped immensely with my labor. My first child required about 10 minutes of pushing and she was 9lbs. My second was only 7lbs and I gave one big push and the doctor told me to stop! She said my abs were too strong and she wanted the baby to have a slower transition. About 1 minute later she just slipped out.

However, while carrying my first child, she was so big that my abs split. I was back to working out about 2 weeks after giving birth and they came back together... but they were lopsided. After my second child, the division seemed more pronounced.

Fast forward a decade and a trainer helped me reshape them by banning me from sit ups or crunches and focusing on stretching and isometric exercises. I am now back to full sit ups and core exercises and my abs look as good as ever.

One other thing... don't forget your Kegels! These are so important in the core recovery after giving birth.

Sorry to go off topic... but it does apply to sit ups.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, THANK YOU for all the awesome advice guys. Can't wait to try all these new techniques now. My tummy doesn't know whats about to be in for. :devil:
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    1. My 'girls' are massive. I have no idea if this in any way makes a sit up more challenging, but I would think having the equivalent of a 2 year old sitting on your chest might make it harder.

I think this would *definitely* make a difference. It means that you have to work your muscles that much harder and your movements would be less smooth, too.

But the weight of a 2 year old?! Wow! What size are you, if you don't mind my asking?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I think this would *definitely* make a difference. It means that you have to work your muscles that much harder and your movements would be less smooth, too.

But the weight of a 2 year old?! Wow! What size are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Oh, haha. The 2 year old comparison was definitely an exaggeration. But they still get in the way, not only because of extra weight but because I can't 'curl' the top of my torso the way I see the teeny girls in exercise videos doing. :sad: But to answer your question, I am a 4D (DDDD).