Just how bad are olives for me?

Options
So I've had some black and green olives with herbs as my snack. Stupidly thought they were fine and good for me, 18.5g of fat?! oooooo swear words. That's going to be something to work off isn't it.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Fat content of olives is awesome! Congrats! Fat is a MACRO nutrient, enjoy them.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    No more than nearly 200cals from protein or carbs...just plan the remainder of the day's menu around the unplanned calories.

If you really enjoy olives no need to give them up, just plan to have them occasionally or more often if you want, just plan your daily menu accordingly.
  • ChrissyB8388
    Options
    ok, now going to google macro nutrients!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Olives are great - yes high in fat, but that's a good thing.

The fat is mainly monounsaturated (like saturated fat, it's a good one).

It is also a great source of:

Iron & Copper
    Fibre
    Vitamin E - a great anti oxidant.

And if you are having green olives - well there is nothing better than popping a few of them in your vodka martini!!!

Log em and enjoy em.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    olives are a very good source of essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins

fat is *not* bad for you. Fat is just easy to overeat on, because 1g of fat has 9 calories, while 1g of carbs or protein has only 4 calories. So you can get more calories for a smaller quantity of food with fat, which means it's easier to overeat on fatty foods. As you found out with your olives. However, that doesn't mean fat is bad for you. Just that you have to be more careful with portion control of fatty foods. My advice would be to weigh all your food for accuracy, to be sure you're getting the number of calories you think you are - well this applies double with fatty foods. But definitely do eat them, because your body needs fat, essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but where do you think "olive oil" comes from? Most know the calories in a teaspoon of olive oil. Also, you have to watch out for the salt in them. Use olives sparingly. They are delicious. Best.:smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Love my olives, they are a good way to get my fat macro and to hit my salty/flavour craving. I just ate a few chili garlic stuffed green olives, delicious!
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just seeing the word "olives" makes me salivate a little. No guilt around olives!
  • Lost_in_Transformation
    Options
    Throw some avocados in the mix!

Mmmmmmm avocados....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSltYVRwRyv92AAv4eue1dJSOVR2q_W8wz_W474YK7U1kzcjKiUOA
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Love my olives, they are a good way to get my fat macro and to hit my salty/flavour craving. I just ate a few chili garlic stuffed green olives, delicious!

Chilli, garlic, olives - they've got to be three words that were meant to go together.

I love the chilli and soft cheese stuffed green olives. mmmmmmmmmmmm

200.gif
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So I've had some black and green olives with herbs as my snack. Stupidly thought they were fine and good for me, 18.5g of fat?! oooooo swear words. That's going to be something to work off isn't it.

Come on get with the program ..... Fat is NOT fattening!!!!
  • Albertrud
    Albertrud Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A good idea when looking, check out the saturated vs fat, my olives snack i make with rosemary and lemon is 14g of fat, 2g of saturated, which means its a ma-WHO-sive 12g of good fats :)

0.5g of carbs, 0g of which is sugar, 2g of fibre, ok next no no protein and 1g of salt (this may be a tad high)
  • TrainerThomas
    Options
    You need to plan your food choices before you eat them. If you eat first, calculate later, you'll run into exactly this sort of problem. Had you calculated the macros for olives before you ate them, you would have avoided this problem. Also, olives aren't bad for you. They're only bad if they put you over your macros for the day.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat olives everyday - olive oil, or in my salad green olives or in my Gin Martini - love em!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Delicious and good for you.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    They're awful for you. You should give all your olives to me.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    And look how skinny Popeye's girlfriend is!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, just bad diets.

Fit them into your calorie/macro goals and enjoy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why does that make them bad for you? fat doesnt make you fat... too many calories does.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Olives are good for you. Very nutritious. Just have to be careful with portion control with them, as they have a high energy density. The mono- and poly- unsaturated fats in these foods are "an important part of a balanced diet." Much like avocados and almonds. "Good for you", but high-calorie.