Pumpkin and Brownie mix...

Options
aproc
aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
I'm making brownies with a friend tomorrow night and was thinking out the pumpkin as a substitute. I've heard people talk about it but I'm still a little confused. Do I just use the pumpkin and brownie mix or is there something else to it? And How much of the canned pumpkin to a box of brownie mix? I read on one forum that you mix a can of pumpkin and the brownie mix and bake... Then someone else said half a can. Help?

Replies

• sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hmmm that sounds delicious! :D

now im curious.... I wanna make for thanksgiving, so i dont eat too much pie hahah
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    From Allrecipes.Com:

Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup butter, melted
    • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 3 eggs
    • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
    • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
    2. In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract; beat in the eggs one at a time with a spoon. Gradually add the flour mixture, and stir the batter until it's evenly moistened. Divide the batter in half in two separate bowls.
    3. Into one bowl of batter, blend the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. In the second bowl of batter, stir in the pumpkin puree, walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
    4. Spread 1/2 of the chocolate batter into the bottom of the prepared baking pan, and follow with 1/2 of the pumpkin batter. Repeat the layers, ending with a pumpkin layer, and drag a kitchen knife or small spatula gently through the layers in a swirling motion, to create a marbled appearance.
    5. Bake in the preheated oven until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan, cut into squares, and serve.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 241 | Total Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 63mg
  • becomingsara
    Options
    hmmm I have only done the pumpkin and CAKE mix (not brownie).
    But the pumpkin and chocolate cake mix was FANTASTIC!!! I made cupcakes. It was just 1 box of cake mix and one can 15 oz pumpkin puree(NOT pie filling). I did use a mixer and about 1/4 cup liquid(I used water one time and almond milk another time, and you couldn't taste the difference).
    Just mix 1 box cake mix, 1 can pumpkin and 1/4-1/2 c water
    Pour into 24 papered muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 15 mins.

You can of course use spice or carrot cake mix.
    GOOD COOKING!

PS they were only 89 cals per cupcake...HEEEEELZ yeah!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, delicious! Try applesauce, pureed black beans and pureed prunes sometime too. :-)
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I make it with the chocolate cake/brownie mix, and can of pureed pumpkin. No water. The brownies are dense and delicious. I usually don't ice them, and tend to make them into cupcakes. They're delicious, and SO easy! I'm actually making a batch for work tomorrow.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm not sure about making pumpkin brownies, that taste like pumpkin but I've been using canned pumpkin in my baking to replace all of the oil and/or butter. Using this substitution generally does not result in a pumpkin taste, but it certainly cuts the fat and calories. I highly recommend it!!!
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I remember making this last year....I got the recipe from hungrygirl.com...its more like a thick fudgie brownie....
    Ingredients:

2 cups canned pure pumpkin
    1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Mix (the 18.3-oz. Family Size box)
    2 tbsp. Better ‘n Peanut Butter, room temperature

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine pumpkin with the brownie mix in a large bowl; stir until smooth (do not add anything else). Spray a small baking pan (8" X 8" work best - no larger!) with nonstick cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Spoon 2 tbsp. of Better ‘n Peanut Butter (room temperature) on top and use a knife to swirl peanut butter around. Cook for approximately 35 minutes. The batter will remain very thick and fudgy, and it should look undercooked. Remove from oven. Cover with aluminum foil and let cool in fridge for a couple of hours. Cut into 36 squares and serve.

Serving Size: 1 piece (approx. 1.3 oz.)
    Calories: 63
    Fat: 1g
    Sodium: 56mg
    Carbs: 13.5g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 1g

* 1 Point!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thankyou! Some really good ideas. :) I'll try it with one can and experiment with some other ideas another time.
  • lizhipwell
    Options
    Just bought Pillsbury sugar free brownie mix and put it with a can of pureed pumpkin...in the oven now...hmmmm....we shall see!
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    i use the sugar free white cake mix , 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin , pumpkin spice , cinnamon and 1 cup of water. im sure you could use it with brownie mix. lite cool whip to top.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I made mine with Spice cake mix and i can of pumpkin and added egg whites for liquid. But now would love to try with Browning mix. I think it will be amazingly good. I want to try it with angel food cake mix too
  • gbfan2323
    Options
    bump
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunnygal_111
    sunnygal_111 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I remember making this last year....I got the recipe from hungrygirl.com...its more like a thick fudgie brownie....
    Ingredients:

2 cups canned pure pumpkin
    1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Mix (the 18.3-oz. Family Size box)
    2 tbsp. Better ‘n Peanut Butter, room temperature

(snipped)

I've made these too - sooooooooo ooey gooey YUMMY!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just bought Pillsbury sugar free brownie mix and put it with a can of pureed pumpkin...in the oven now...hmmmm....we shall see!

How'd it turn out?
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I've never used it with brownie mix. I do use one 15 oz can of pumpkin to one box of cake mix - I bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. It really is delicious!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I have made them with just brownie mix and one can of pumpkin. They were great! Family loved also. :bigsmile: