islamic etiquette for eating

Options
Redribbon73
Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
Hi everyone

I hope you are doing well in achieving your goals, whatever they may be.

I just thought I could share some information with you guts that could also help with your fitness in some way.
I am a Muslim and wanted to share islamic etiquette of eating. We are advised fill our stomachs 1/3 water, 1/3 food and leave 1/3 for air. Often though we don't do this and that's when we feel stuffed by overeating. We are supposed to eat and then stop when you are still a little hungry and could eat more but we should not. By eating this way we can then save ourselves from being overweight and having other health problems.

It is said a meal for 2 is enough for 3, a meal for 3 is enough for 4, a meal for 4 is enough for 5 and so on.
I hope I didn't offend anyone, I by all means am trying to follow this way as I realised I never knew when I had eaten enough. I am not overweight but would like to reduce my weight so it is in the lower end for my stats.

Thanks

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how one sets the air pad in their stomachs? Is that you just don't eat or drink for that 1/3, or do you physically "swallow" air.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I end up burping if I swallow air. :huh:
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lol. You don't swallow air you just don't eat till you are full and that would be enough to breath comfortably and not feel stuffed.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just a model to encourage eating in moderation. No "air swallowing", just empty space.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Please take this in the intended spirit, but I would not look to religion for sources of nutrition information or weight loss assistance other than motivation or the spiritual side. Unfortunately, some of the credibility of the advice was lost when you "fill your stomach with 1/3 air." I really don't see how that could happen unless you drank something with carbonation. If you need help losing weight, seek out a medical professional such as a Registered Dietitian. A Registered Dietitian helped me to drop from 362 pounds to 287. I'm struggling a bit at the moment but this isn't due to poor advice, rather it's been difficult to dig deep into the reserves of motivation.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have my bingo card ready.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

As-salamu alaykum. My goal is nothing less than world conquest and the allocation of an evil cat to sit in my lap while I laugh at my minions.
    I just thought I could share some information with you guts that could also help with your fitness in some way.
    I am a Muslim and wanted to share islamic etiquette of eating. We are advised fill our stomachs 1/3 water, 1/3 food and leave 1/3 for air. Often though we don't do this and that's when we feel stuffed by overeating.
    Not a bad idea. You shouldn't eat until you're totally full. That's almost always never a good idea unless of course you've had most of your stomach removed by selective surgery and then every meal will feel like you overate.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip mate.

Another religious eating tip is to be found in Leviticus 11:11-12.

Apparently eating shellfish is an abomination. An abomination!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like good advice to me, regardless of religious affiliation. Nevertheless, the dogma-free presentation is appreciated.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    wait..........wut?? :huh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If they translated the Arabic so that it says "1/3 empty" then most of the arguments wouldn't be happening.... when people back then said "air" did they mean "gas that contains approx 80% nitrogen and approx 20% oxygen and a few other gases" or did they mean emptiness?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am a Muslim and wanted to share islamic etiquette of eating. We are advised fill our stomachs 1/3 water, 1/3 food and leave 1/3 for air. Often though we don't do this and that's when we feel stuffed by overeating. We are supposed to eat and then stop when you are still a little hungry and could eat more but we should not. By eating this way we can then save ourselves from being overweight and having other health problems.

It is said a meal for 2 is enough for 3, a meal for 3 is enough for 4, a meal for 4 is enough for 5 and so on.
    I hope I didn't offend anyone, I by all means am trying to follow this way as I realised I never knew when I had eaten enough. I am not overweight but would like to reduce my weight so it is in the lower end for my stats.

Thanks

This is very similar to how I describe "sated" rather than "full" and is how I eat when I'm maintaining without tracking.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

As-salamu alaykum. My goal is nothing less than world conquest and the allocation of an evil cat to sit in my lap while I laugh at my minions.
    I am a Muslim and wanted to share islamic etiquette of eating. We are advised fill our stomachs 1/3 water, 1/3 food and leave 1/3 for air. Often though we don't do this and that's when we feel stuffed by overeating.
    Not a bad idea. You shouldn't eat until you're totally full. That's almost always never a good idea unless of course you've had most of your stomach removed by selective surgery and then every meal will feel like you overate.

I have just the cat for you!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how Muslim women actually eat at a public restaurant wearing those head scarf things over their face. Are they allowed to take them off? Or slip the food in under them? I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to condemn the religion/traditions at all.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how Muslim women actually eat at a public restaurant wearing those head scarf things over their face. Are they allowed to take them off? Or slip the food in under them? I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to condemn the religion/traditions at all.

I lived in Saudi for 5 years....... restaurants have individual rooms with one table in it... if not actual rooms then each screen is shielded with a fancy partition of some sort, so each couple or family has their own private space. The waiter has to knock or ring a bell to let them know they have their food or to take their order. This means women can dress like they do at home/in private (i.e. without the head scarf, abaya (long dress that covers them) or niqaab (face cover)) and only the people they're with (husband, family, female friends) see them.

I've also seen women who wear niqaab slip food under the niqaab - I've been living in Bahrain for the past 2 years where it's much less conservative, so most restaurants are more open although a few have private rooms. Most women here don't wear niqaab but those that do I have seen them in the open restaurants/mall food courts and they just slip the food under the niqaab.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you.