I need help

Options
fun4k
fun4k Posts: 26 Member
My weight is at an all time high of 254lbs and climbing. I absolutely must make some serious and immediate changes to my lifestyle and I need to become part of a support group. I need to find some people for mutual encouragement and accountability. Advice welcome!!!

Replies

• omnpotnt
    omnpotnt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I topped out at 335 lbs. I had trouble walking as my feet hurt, not to mention I was just in terrible shape all around. Every diet I tried failed. Finally I just decided to do things the way I thought I could, and ignore everyone else and their advice, no matter how good I'm sure it was.

The First thing I did was not tell anyone I was going to try and lose weight, again. No need to have the feeling of people looking at me.in judgement, even if in my own mind. I 1st just replaced eating dinner with a protein shake...I use Gold Standard Whey protein and have since the start. In the beginning I mixed it with milk since it filled me better and I figured I was still better off since the combination was still fewer calories than I'd h ave had at dinner. I started seeing some progress and went to a doctor for a routine checkup and he found my testosterone level was pretty low, about 200. We started injections every other week, and not sure how much that had to do with it but before I knew it I was down 50 lbs, and was able to start using the gym and exercising, which I did voluntarily. That was my start...for what it's worth. After that using other's advice was useful since I wsa more in a position to do what they were saying.
  • NoForkstoGive
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the same boat you are, so I'm so happy to have come across your post! :smile:

I think you've started off right and joined MFP - it's the best service I've tried (and I've tried a lot). Keep in mind that it really makes you accountable for what you put into your body and what you get out of it (i.e. food vs. exercise).

I also completely understand the urge to get started on it right away; however, I really recommend you not start too fast or else you might lose momentum (I speak from so much experience, it's insane). It's the same with exercising; you don't go too fast starting out or you might injure yourself.

Getting started, I think you should start logging what you eat everyday. Do this for at least a week and it can help you identify where the nutrition gaps are and what you can do to improve your diet.

I also really recommend getting a step counter. I know there are free apps that can help with this as well as devices (i.e. the FitBit - that's what I use sometimes - what's great about the FitBit is you can sync it with MFP). A recommended daily amount of steps is 10,000, but most people only walk about 3,000~ in their daily lives. Setting a goal of 10,000 steps/day is a great way to get yourself motivated for exercising. Walking is also one of the most effective ways for overweight people to start exercising. Start the habit with walking and then add in more intensive exercises as you get more comfortable.

I wish you nothing but success on your journey! Message me or friend me if you have any other questions.