Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Ive read this same argument adnauseum on these boards and truly wonder if any of the posters who disagree that healthy food is more expensive have ever been poor?

Not all cities have farmers markets to get cheap produce. ( So dont even use that as an excuse) There hasnt been one anywhere near me since the 70s. As for growing in your yard.... It doesnt grow all year round and i for one wouldnt eat anything grown in this soil lol ( I did SPEND the money to build above ground garden boxes though but i can afford to do that now)

Have you ever had to scrounge through furniture or for bottles to feed your family?
    You manage to find $2 please tell me what you are going to buy to feed your family of 3?

a pack of hot dogs or a head of lettuce... You ever been in this situation?

And this. You can get two tacos from Jack in the Box for a dollar. I can literally feed my entire family for $5. You can't even get a pound of chicken for that, let alone an entire meal.

For $5, I could get at least two pounds of chicken, and that's if I go with boneless/skinless chicken breasts. It could go further if I went with thighs or legs or something, so it CAN be done. I could also pick up bags of frozen vegetables for a dollar. Potatoes cost little, as well.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You don't have kids. You don't know what it's like raising them. Your opinion counts for nothing.

Wow. This right here is why having constructive, adult conversations is impossible on a forum. :cry:

It's not impossible - but when you're a parent and literally everyone has a freaking opinion about your parenting when they've never me you or your child you get frustrated. There is *so* much judgment being thrown at parents.

I don't automatically discount opinions of non-parents, but some are so ridiculous that I have to. Does that make sense? You can have an opinion - of course you can. But it's like me having an opinion on your golf swing - I literally have no experience, so you wouldn't take my opinion very seriously, would you?

Well, technically no one came out and said your parenting skill/style was poor. If anyone did and I missed, then I don't agree with that. My belief is that a morbidly obese child is that way due to a significant failure on the part of the parent(s). First, morbidly obese means really, really overweight. Not just chubby, or obese according to the accursed BMI. Second, by child, I mean less than 16. The age where the child is still really dependent on the parent.

Lastly, you would be right about my golf swing. I almost killed my mother-in-law at a driving range :happy: Critique away... But even though you don't swing a club, maybe your sibling/parent/friend is a pro golfer that you've picked up a lot of info from? See, don't be so quick to judge/make assumptions.

I'm speaking generally. Neither of my children are obese, so nothing in this thread is about me, even in a general sense.

I don't automatically dismiss any opinions, either. I'm not the poster you quoted, but I did want to try to explain the reason people feel strongly about it.

I am more apt to take advice from someone who is a parent. It's just like this battlefield we're all on together and though it's cliche, you cannot understand what it's like until you're there in the trenches.

Morbidly obese children - sure, in part it's the failure of the parents, but that doesn't mean it's intentional - and because of that I have a hard time calling it abuse.

If you do not agree that it is abuse, would you at least acknowledge that it is negligence/irresponsibility on the part of the caretaker/parents.
  • Journeygirl
    Journeygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight child. My mother didn't bring junk food into the house. She cooked nutritiously. I was determined to get what I wanted because I was eating over a trauma that happened to me very early in life. If I was taken and put into Foster Care it would have been another trauma! I would have be so so so traumatized by that!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Instead of arguing with you when I know very well no study I post showing unhealthy food is cheaper will sway you, how about we all as a nation try this experiment: Let's get rid of all the subsidies for junky foods and corn and put them on fruits and vegetables instead, and then we'll see what happens. If everyone is still fat and stuffing their pie holes with twinkies, I'll admit defeat.

interesting. I'm pretty sure you don't know me at all to make such an assessment. I'm also not arguing. I'm simply pointing to some options.

Sorry if I was snippy, but wouldn't it be a fantastic experiment to try? It sure couldn't hurt.

I believe in free markets. I would like nothing more than to get rid of subsidies.

If they were all gone tomorrow we'd have starvation and attendant riots. I'm not for that. Too old to go around tossing flaming cocktails. But we are definitely subsidizing the wrong things for longterm health. And perhaps in time the subsidies could be lowered, provided corporations in America are forced to pay a real living wage instead of putting the burden of feeding their workers on the taxpayer. Of course, that is a different topic.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommending that kids be put into foster care doesn't know the first thing about foster care.
    This. My grandma adopted 7 children (all at different times) most of them lived in foster care for most/all of their lives and all except for 1 had to go to mental health stay ins, jail, or get taken in by other parents because of severe issues with siblings.

Foster care is a last resort. Making obesity a punishable offense and putting children into a situation where they can be beat, molested, raped, etc. just because their parents didn't watch what they ate or were too poor to afford quality food is ridiculous. Look into the system before ever making any remarks on how children should be handled for bull**** "offenses". Because they would the ones paying the price.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Instead of arguing with you when I know very well no study I post showing unhealthy food is cheaper will sway you, how about we all as a nation try this experiment: Let's get rid of all the subsidies for junky foods and corn and put them on fruits and vegetables instead, and then we'll see what happens. If everyone is still fat and stuffing their pie holes with twinkies, I'll admit defeat.

interesting. I'm pretty sure you don't know me at all to make such an assessment. I'm also not arguing. I'm simply pointing to some options.

Sorry if I was snippy, but wouldn't it be a fantastic experiment to try? It sure couldn't hurt.

I believe in free markets. I would like nothing more than to get rid of subsidies.

If they were all gone tomorrow we'd have starvation and attendant riots. I'm not for that. Too old to go around tossing flaming cocktails. But we are definitely subsidizing the wrong things for longterm health. And perhaps in time the subsidies could be lowered, provided corporations in America are forced to pay a real living wage instead of putting the burden of feeding their workers on the taxpayer. Of course, that is a different topic.

That's right. We need a long-term, defined and clear program to wean off of subsidies. Unfortunately, politicians don't do anything for the long term anymore. They only care about the next election. So, it's a pipe dream.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said that most of these "explanations" on here are nothing but a bunch of excuses. People are naturally drawn to taking the easy the easy way out on things, and feeding your kids dollar menu items is easier than cooking grilled chicken and broccoli.

People are naturally inclined to blame others for their problems and not look at themselves and see what they can do to fix the problem
  • 5MommaJ
    5MommaJ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So.... Let's suppose the children are taken away and the parents labeled child abusers.. What of the Foster Parents? who will be monitoring weight or is it just supposed that all Foster Parents are thin and/or don't have overweight children and who would determine the cut off point.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You don't have kids. You don't know what it's like raising them. Your opinion counts for nothing.

Wow. This right here is why having constructive, adult conversations is impossible on a forum. :cry:

It's not impossible - but when you're a parent and literally everyone has a freaking opinion about your parenting when they've never me you or your child you get frustrated. There is *so* much judgment being thrown at parents.

I don't automatically discount opinions of non-parents, but some are so ridiculous that I have to. Does that make sense? You can have an opinion - of course you can. But it's like me having an opinion on your golf swing - I literally have no experience, so you wouldn't take my opinion very seriously, would you?

LOL, try being a teacher in public education. :laugh: Or a corrupt scientist trying to destroy the moral fiber of America by teaching evil evil fundamental scientific concepts that are the entire foundation for the study of biology.....

In all seriousness though, people would be best served to start from the assumption that if they have not experienced something for themselves, they should listen first, question second, and form opinion dead last and preferably after gaining some experience.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just so I get this straight, according to the OP, my son should have been taken away from me when he was younger because someone who is not his parent decided what was best for him without taking anything else into consideration other than his weight. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Just because they are younger and fall into the "obese" category, doesn't mean they stay that way forever. My son was a chubby baby and a chubby kid, partly because of me and partly because of him. Would I change anything? Nope. He turned out just fine. Natural progression of teenage years, high school football, getting out with friends and being active. I never put him on a diet, told him he was fat or that he needed to fix anything, it just happened with him doing his things.

calebcompare_zps5b610fea.jpg

There is no blanket fix for the world.

POOR KID!

But seriously, he's a normal healthy kid. Some kids are husky. People should really stop trying to micromanage other people's children.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had to watch the look of hurt on a childs face when you tell them no you cant have this snack or no you cannot have a second portion of that item?

OK, I am little miss. moderation and not a "no junk person".....,but REALLY!?!!? I tell my kids NO all the time, it is my job as their mom.

Having to tell a child no because of financial concerns is different and heartbreaking.

This mentality is what most were speaking of when blaming the parents.....it is the parents responsibility to correct and say NO. I normally word it nicely or as a question... like "don't you think you have had enough?" or "maybe you should let your belly settle". I still get my point across, I do this for healthy or junk food....makes no difference, moderation is the lesson.

Looking hurt because they can only have 1 cooking is manipulation. The only reason a child would have hurt feelings over this is if they were taught that cookies are special or rewards and they are then being denied a special thing. A cookie is a food not an emotional trigger. My girls never have looked hurt when I say no, its just something mom's do and the way it is.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

That's right. We need a long-term, defined and clear program to wean off of subsidies. Unfortunately, politicians don't do anything for the long term anymore. They only care about the next election. So, it's a pipe dream.

True enough for the most part. Meanwhile, I'm not going to beat the drum to take kids away from parents and put them in institutions. Last time I checked, institutional food never did anyone any good. Our school lunch program is foul and part of the problem.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ive read this same argument adnauseum on these boards and truly wonder if any of the posters who disagree that healthy food is more expensive have ever been poor?

Not all cities have farmers markets to get cheap produce. ( So dont even use that as an excuse) There hasnt been one anywhere near me since the 70s. As for growing in your yard.... It doesnt grow all year round and i for one wouldnt eat anything grown in this soil lol ( I did SPEND the money to build above ground garden boxes though but i can afford to do that now)

Have you ever had to scrounge through furniture or for bottles to feed your family?
    You manage to find $2 please tell me what you are going to buy to feed your family of 3?

a pack of hot dogs or a head of lettuce... You ever been in this situation?
    Leaving aside that anyone that poor gets subsidized food, I can buy three pounds of chicken for what a McDonalds meal would cost me.

Um no... Not everyone poor gets subsidized food
    You cannot even get public assistance with out a permanent address
    It can take upwards a month to GET assistance with out emergency aid
    And no where can i get chicken breast for $2 around here! lol
    I just spent $11.50 on chicken breast!
    Dbl cheeseburger at McDonalds is 99 cents
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Well, technically no one came out and said your parenting skill/style was poor. If anyone did and I missed, then I don't agree with that. My belief is that a morbidly obese child is that way due to a significant failure on the part of the parent(s). First, morbidly obese means really, really overweight. Not just chubby, or obese according to the accursed BMI. Second, by child, I mean less than 16. The age where the child is still really dependent on the parent.

Lastly, you would be right about my golf swing. I almost killed my mother-in-law at a driving range :happy: Critique away... But even though you don't swing a club, maybe your sibling/parent/friend is a pro golfer that you've picked up a lot of info from? See, don't be so quick to judge/make assumptions.

I'm speaking generally. Neither of my children are obese, so nothing in this thread is about me, even in a general sense.

I don't automatically dismiss any opinions, either. I'm not the poster you quoted, but I did want to try to explain the reason people feel strongly about it.

I am more apt to take advice from someone who is a parent. It's just like this battlefield we're all on together and though it's cliche, you cannot understand what it's like until you're there in the trenches.

Morbidly obese children - sure, in part it's the failure of the parents, but that doesn't mean it's intentional - and because of that I have a hard time calling it abuse.

If you do not agree that it is abuse, would you at least acknowledge that it is negligence/irresponsibility on the part of the caretaker/parents.

Um, no. Did you not understand that people don't have equal access to resources? Except in extreme cases, where children are super morbidly obese and parents are rejecting resources it's not necessarily negligence and irresponsibility.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

True enough for the most part. Meanwhile, I'm not going to beat the drum to take kids away from parents and put them in institutions. Last time I checked, institutional food never did anyone any good. Our school lunch program is foul and part of the problem.

Agreed. Plus, anyone with a basic understanding of the foster care system would hate this idea.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

Wait a second? I'm to blame for my fat cat? What do you think I do, hold her down and shove kibble in her mouth?

You know when she got fat? When I took her in, spayed her and forced her into a sedentary indoor lifestyle. Lack of activity kills, but there is no way I could replicate the exercise she got outdoors.

I have had cats most of my life and I disagree with you. My cats were all neutered and most of the time lived in apartments with limited possibilities to be active. However I played with them every day, they had climbing trees and other chances to exercise. None of them were ever overweight , because there is this idea to control weight. The thought is " calories in, calories out ". It means that someone burns more calories than they ingest. You might not believe it, but it works for animals also. My last two normal weight cats died at 19 years and a few month and except for the last two years of their lives were very agile and active. My neighbor also has cats that are usually very overweight and do nothing but sleep and none of them has gotten older than 9 year........I wonder why that is.

I have a 30 pound neutered Maine Coon. He's 17 years old. For years, he got only measured amounts of wet food and kibble. He had no diabetes, thyroid or other hormonal issues. We've been to many different vets and we have no idea why he's so damn fat. We feed him enough food to support a 20 pound cat, which would be his correct weight. It is a high protein kibble/wet food. His weight hasn't budged.

CICO doesn't seem to work for my cat. Suggestions then? I thought it was just that easy.

I too have had cats my whole life. I've gotten several to lose weight by feeding them raw or high protein food without changing the amounts.

My suggestion would be to make him move more or feed him less. Those calorie counts are calculated for 'average' activity animals. Maybe yours is under active.

One thing for anyone reading this thread who decides to put their fat cat on a diet - be careful and have them lose slowly. Cats can have severe health problems - usually liver failure - if they drop fat quickly, unlike humans.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There are four categories of child abuse- emotional, physical, sexual and neglect.

I happen to agree that allowing a child to reach the stage of obesity (we're talking obesity here, not being chubby, or overweight but a child being obese) is a type of neglect and is therefore abusive.
    I trained as a social worker and did part if my training was done in a primary school. If a child came to school and they were clearly under nourished alarm bells would ring immediately. It is wrong to not feed your child enough because it is bad for their health, why then should it be deemed acceptable for a child to be fed so much that they become obese. Children today are getting type 2 diabetes for goodness sake.. if that isn't abusive I don't know what is.

That said, does that make the parents of obese children unloving abusers who need their children removed from their care? Of course not. Many parents who are physically abusive don't realise that they are and can be educated on better parenting techniques, a parent suffering from crippling depression might not be able to care for their children properly, are they an abusive person? Again, no. Should they seek out help for their children of course.

The issue is with education, and if a parent is unaware of how to help their child maintain or reach a healthy weight then they should find help or educate themselves. If they fail to do so they set their child ul for a life of obesity and all the may many associated health risks. That is irresponsible, it is neglectful and in my opinion it is abusive.

The very nice, educated user who posted this quote deserves an award for awesomeness. Kudos! Abuse is abuse! The word sounds extreme but the literal meaning of abuse is in accord with the idea I'm aiming at. Abuse doesn't always have to mean hitting or beating.

So then everyone on here are self-abusers? I just think its a bit rich to post on an a forum "childhood obesity = CHILD ABUSE"

But by all means if you want to advocate calling people abusers when actually most likely what you are looking at is families who love there children and lack education in nutrition... yeah take them away. Stick them in foster care. That will of course solve all problems.

I would say that letting yourself become obese NOT due to some uncontrollable medical problem/condition or doctor prescribed medication is self-harming behavior. There's no difference between that and smoking a cigarette. Food, for many, can be a quite complicated and hard addiction to overcome......same with alcoholism, nicotine dependency, and any other self-destructive set of behavior that one can engage in. Now who wants to disagree with me on this? I am guilty of not taking care of my body and health, and thus I would constitute that as a form of self-harm or abuse upon my self because I didn't have a pre-existing condition that made me this way...I just liked to eat and was never given the proper tools to know how to eat properly until I had to seek them out on my own as an adult.
This discussion has been closed.