how often should one weight themselbes???

Options

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Its personal preference. But like everyone else says, once a week. I have a bad habit of almost twice a day, but no matter what the scale says, I just keep on pushing through :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 4-5 days a week. I agree it's personal preference, but for me weighing closer to daily helps me figure out what triggers small fluctuations. Also if I only weighed in once a week and it happened to be a day when my weight had bounced up for some reason (high sodium the day before, etc.) I might be more discouraged than if I weighed in more often and had a better idea of my general pattern.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Weekly...or never. Go by what the mirror says, how strong you feel, and/or how your clothes fit.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every other day with dumbbells and barbells, works great for losing pounds and building muscle.

Edited to add: It helps to make my pants loose.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning first thing before breakfast and after using the washroom. I only log it when I see a consistent loss.

If the daily fluctuations are messing with you and making you feel frustrated then you might want to switch to a weekly/biweekly weigh in.

Be sure to take measurements and progress photos too. :) One month I lost only 1 lb, but I lost at least 1 inch everywhere!
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self pretty much every time I walk past the scale.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Before and after #2. Then I record the weight loss on MFP before I eat my daily calories.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but Saturday mornings are the only ones I count. The daily thing at this point is just habit. Right now, I'm not really putting much stock into the scale and focusing more on lifting and inches. My clothes are fitting better. The scale will go down eventually.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and only record losses.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It bums me out so I try to do it about once a week. If you're counting calories and exercising, and unless you're some kind of magical exception, you're probably losing weight. If it stresses you out, limit the number of times you do it. For me, the number affects my mood a lot, so I try to limit it. If I know I've been getting the calories and exercise bit wrong, then I sort of know what the scale's going to have to say about it.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm w/ Bama......I weight myself w/ different kinds of weights a couple times a week as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Depends. I record almost daily, then plot it in excel. The plots reveal the long term trends so I can ignore the daily variations.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but don't record until Friday. It was originally on Sunday but I have more salt and less water on the weekend so I tend to have water weight on me through the first part of the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Given that the average person really doesn't understand natural body weight fluctuations and the propensity to vascillate over these natural body weight fluctuations, I'd advice no more than once per week.

If you're an individual who has a better understanding of the inner-workings of the human body and understand that, for example, if you go eat something and then you go weigh yourself immediately afterwards that you are going to weigh more...because you consumed mass then you can probably weigh in more often.

But really, it doesn't matter...it's all up to you and what you want in RE to data points for trend analysis...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It is all up to your and your preference. I personally weigh myself once a week or every 2 weeks. I go by a weekly deficit, so I know as long as I stuck to my deficit that week, I should see a change on the scale the day after my week ends. Just how I look at it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially smoothed weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

If you're going to be all "OMG! I'm bloated!" if you see the number go up by 2 lbs. from one day to the next, then daily weigh-ins aren't for you. Personally, I'm not bothered, because it's the trend that matters. It's actually liberating to me to see how much my weight fluctuates from day to day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you and your emotional investment in what the scale says. I weigh weekly because if I weigh daily the normal fluctuations can make me depressed, and when I am depressed, I eat.
  • SLMartucci
    SLMartucci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said it..

Weigh every morning at the same time and take a weekly average.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily during my morning routine. It's not stressful, it keeps me honest with myself about where I am, what I ate, and the effect that had. If anything it helps me keep an eye and stop that behavior. Going up or down for a day is meaningless. The only time to get stressed is when it stays up there for a week or more.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said it..

Weigh every morning at the same time and take a weekly average.

I do this too.