Backing out resting calories and EPOC

Options
Ive noticed alot of people back out resting calories from their workouts, ive never done this and was wondering if it is really necessary??? I mean with the extra calories burned through EPOC ( Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption) wouldnt it just kind of even out in the end???? Ive been researching it and everything ive seen says you are still burning for 60mins-several hours after the initial workout (that being 30-150 extra calories after the workout)!!! Here is just one of the many articles i looked at!!!

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_150/198_fitness_tip.html

I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this!!! Thanks

Replies

• tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    i dont know what that means?? could you explain please?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Agreed Gigi! I don't back any out!
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I take out my resting calories each time I work out. Not sure if it is right or not. You are correct that we are burning more calories for a while after but the way I look at it is take the extra calories for any misjudged calories. (banana was actually large but you put in meduim) Just little things like that. Or for some reason I totally forgot to put something in (doesn't happen often) but then they cancel each other out.

I am NO expert but this is what one of my MPF advised me to do (take out resting calories) it's really not alot (85 for 60 minutes)

Swoopette
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I take out my resting calories each time I work out. Not sure if it is right or not. You are correct that we are burning more calories for a while after but the way I look at it is take the extra calories for any misjudged calories. (banana was actually large but you put in meduim) Just little things like that. Or for some reason I totally forgot to put something in (doesn't happen often) but then they cancel each other out.

I am NO expert but this is what one of my MPF advised me to do (take out resting calories) it's really not alot (85 for 60 minutes)

Swoopette

I already overestimate on the meals... so for me i dont need to back out calories! I guess it just depends on the person!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I only do it sometimes. Like tonight I did because there were so many breaks etc. between sets. I honestly don't think 90 calories either way would make that much of a difference. One of the people on the forums here wrote a dissertation on it and it kinda made sense at the time BUT I am working out at a much higher level now. I also don't let my HRM run. I think I am going to re think my practice since I don't actually do a lot of "resting"
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    the amt of calories one would use at rest in a an hr of rest is really not big enough, I don't. Most people over estimate when journaling and under estimate when they don't.
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    i dont know what that means?? could you explain please?

TJ ............Gigi is talking about...How many calories your body would use at rest ...for example if you did nothing but sit and watch tv for an hour your body would use lets say 120 calories for that hour. If you were to exercise for that same hour instead of watching tv would you subtract that 120 from your 850 calories burned.

Post Burn, depending on your intensity ...it's just more info to confuse me!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think this is probably why I tend to lose more weight than MFP estimates I will. I always wondered about it because I know my metabolism is increased the more I work out.