Meeting my 1200 calorie goal is surprisingly hard

Options
I have a 1200 cal goal on MFP. I'm finding it hard to meet especially when I am working out burning 400 cal. Am I suppose to eat them back? I don't on regular days but on cheat days I do. So, my problem with the 1200 cals is, I'm usually coming up about 300 calories short. I have no eating disorder or anything it's just that I try to go by the nutrition goals on MFP. I can easily eat a 300 calorie snack but then I'll go over my recommended sugar or fat. If I only had to count calories it would be easy but we also have to watch fat, carbs, and sugar.. Advice?

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You don't have to watch fat or sugar. Your calorie goal is really the only thing that matters for weight loss. And yes, eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sugar or fat doesn't matter. Calories in vs. calories out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eating more calorie dense foods will solve your problem: nuts, peanut butter, high calorie protein bars or shakes, avocado, adding cheese to stuff, cooking foods in olive oil.

I think the bigger question is, since you are active, why are you only eating 1200 calories? With as little as you have to lose, a goal of 1/2 to 1 lb per week should be your max.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 13lbs to lose...and you are having a hard time eating 1200?

Dangerous esp if you are actually netting less than 1k...and with your exercise that is what you are doing.

MFP gave you 1200 probably because you chose 2lbs a week to lose...and with 13lbs that is agressive.

REally should be 1/2lb a week.

But let's be very frank here...if you have a hard time eating 1200 you wouldn't be here...there are ways to get in your calories...

Peanut butter, avocados in salads or on burger, full fat milk, bacon comes to mind...how bout a beer? or a glass of wine.

Just because you are losing weight you don't have to give up the foods you love...I haven't...I would fit them into my 1600-1700 calories I had a day which allowed me to lose 3/4lb a week.

why do you have to watch fat/carbs and sugar? MFP sets those to the minimums and it's fine to go over them unless you have a medical reason not to.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Sugar & fat don't matter.
    You only have 13 lbs. to lose. A 1200-calorie limit may be too aggressive for a healthy, long-term loss.

Yes, you should eat back your exercise calories. Your net shouldn't be lower than 1200 in a day (and may need to be higher, depending on height, weight, metabolism).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well a few things:
    Carbs, Fat, and protein are the 3 major macronutrients that make up your calories. Carbs and protein = 4 cals/g and fat = 9 cals for gram. Your calorie goal is made up of a ratio of those macronutrients where they add up to reach your calorie goal. Most people have trouble hitting their calorie goals when they are trying to keep their fat as low as possible which is not necessary. You want to reach your targets, not go significantly over or under them.

The MFP sugar suggestion is also pretty low. For anyone who eats fruit they are going to go way over it in no time. It is something to consider if you are continually going way over it because you eat cake all day or something, but if you are going over because of fruit or natural sugar dont worry about it.

the easiest way to get a little extra calories is to eat a little more fat. Easy things to add: a handful of nuts, a spoonful of peanut butter, avacado, and cheese.

That first paragraph was proabably confusing so my apologies for that. This is a long post (and I had to read it more than once before I fully understood everything he said) but it is super informative and I think it might help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

~best wishes
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be snarky here but how on earth are you not starving. 1200 isn't much and if you aren't eating your excercise calories back, you could be setting yourself up to fail.

Personally I think it's a process when figuring out what works. For me if I eat more, I feel better and tend to lose more. Don't be afraid to up your calories and play around with it until you find what works.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake with almond milk or just a granola bar if I'm short of my daily intake, usually its right before bed.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Definitely what many said here. At only 13 lbs left to go you should have a higher calorie goal. Do not rush it. Change your MFP goals, eat more, eat your exercise calories back and lose weight happy!
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I upped my protein in order to reach my 1200. I also cut back on my fats and carbs but adding 1tspn of olive oil to one meal (like pan frying), peanut (or almond) butter, or 1/4c lowfat cheese can help bump it up as long as you haven't already exceeded your fat intake. :smile:
  • Chicgeek88
    Chicgeek88 Posts: 10
    Options
    My typical day is...

Breakfast: half grapefruit and a mini bagel (180 cals)

Snack: 100 cal pack of almonds (100 cals)

Lunch: bowl of fruit (200 cals)

Dinner: (4oz of grilled chicken, a sweet potato, and broccoli (about 270)

Snack: 90 calorie fiber one brownie (90 cals)

So about 840 cals and I feel full. I also was burning 500 cals a day but I've stopped since I'm not eating enough.I used to eat a lot of junk food ( fried, pizza, candy, soda) since I can't have that it's hard to find things I like to eat that are healthy for me so I just stick to these few things. I do have one or two days that I eat pizza or one of my fav foods but on those days I try to exercise more.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    My typical day is...

So about 840 cals and I feel full. I also was burning 500 cals a day but I've stopped since I'm not eating enough.I used to eat a lot of junk food ( fried, pizza, candy, soda) since I can't have that it's hard to find things I like to eat that are healthy for me so I just stick to these few things. I do have one or two days that I eat pizza or one of my fav foods but on those days I try to exercise more.

Who said you can't have pizza, candy or soda? You are eating way to low. It is not recommended to eat below 1200 net calories. Working out and eating that much would make me sick, weak, tired, and unhealthy.

Maybe you should give the advice above a try.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just ran your numbers. You are WAY under eating

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1493 calories.
    YOU SHOULD NOT EAT BELOW YOUR BMR

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Tools we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1739
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1992
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2246
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2500
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2753
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem as well at the moment. My solution is to just snack on as much fruits and vegetables as possible. Also load up on good fats like coconut oil, avocados, and nuts.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My typical day is...

I would put some cream cheese or peanut butter on the bagel. Have a slightly larger (or even double) portion of almonds. Or add some chocolate chips or something else light to the almonds to make it more of a snack mix. Add Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with the fruit at lunch to get some protein. Roast your dinner veggies with some olive oil and add sauces or toppings to the chicken or sweet potato (cheese, sour cream, whatever you like). And I'd add a scoop of ice cream to the fiber one brownie.

As others have said, don't worry too much about your fat and sugar goals. MFP has their sugar goal set very low and most people can safely go over it. And fat is good for your body. You need to get enough to balance your hormones, help your skin and nails look good, and to help certain vitamins absorb in your body. Again, if you don't have a medical reason to stay low on these two nutrients then it's okay to go over.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    My typical day is...

Who said you can't have pizza, candy or soda? You are eating way to low. It is not recommended to eat below 1200 net calories. Working out and eating that much would make me sick, weak, tired, and unhealthy.

Agreed stop labeling food as junk or good vs. bad and eat some of that calorie dense food... I lost over 300 pounds and never tracked a single gram of sugar... There is nothing wrong with pizza and or any other food... I had pizza and wings Saturday night and BBQ baby ribs yesterday... Everything I eat fits within my caloric intake and I aim to hit my macros daily. You are currently way under eating and I would suggest you start working on that area now..... Best of Luck
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I can't always hit 1200 net calories either, but I try to come close.

I do eat back at least half of my (Fitbit) exercise calories, but since I'd heard the exercise calories were often overestimated, I wasn't too worried about it. Should I be?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My typical day is...

Agreed stop labeling food as junk or good vs. bad and eat some of that calorie dense food... I lost over 300 pounds and never tracked a single gram of sugar... There is nothing wrong with pizza and or any other food... I had pizza and wings Saturday night and BBQ baby ribs yesterday... Everything I eat fits within my caloric intake and I aim to hit my macros daily. You are currently way under eating and I would suggest you start working on that area now..... Best of Luck

Listen to this man, 300+ lbs lost!

Heck, i struggle to eat less than 2500 calories.. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT hard to reach. Eggs, cheese, full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, olive and coconut oils, AVOCADO :love: ......

As others have said, you are not eating enough - food is fuel, and eating the proper number of calories is key - you don't want to over eat, but under eating is wrong too, and leave you with a host of problems in the long run.

As for eating back exercise cals - YES! That is how MFP works. Your daily calorie goal already has you at a deficit - eat TO GOAL every day, do zero exercise, and you lose weight. Burn more cals through exercise and you've created a cavernous deficit, which is no bueno. That's why the cals are added back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them back, bringing you back to the original deficit, well-fueled and still losing weight.

Don't sell yourself short by slashing cals too low - you can kiss your lean muscle good bye along with any fat that you might lose by doing so. You want a firm, fit, strong body, yeah? Not a slimmer, yet still squishy version of yourself?

Eat your calories, drink water, take rest days, get good sleep, and repeat!

Edited to add: By the way - I'm 5'8" and 46 years old, and I lose on 1800-2000 cals a day, exercise about an hour a day (or less), 5-6 days a week. I've had my best success eating well! And this allows for treats - I eat pizza, burgers, desserts, drink alcohol - and still lose.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    How does one have "trouble" eating 1200 calories when most obviously they had no problem eating that and the reason why most people are here..to lose weight...