Why am I always hungry.. :(

Options
2»

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I drink a smoothie in the mornings that contains 9 grams of protein and a lot of vitamins and minerals, then an hour later I am hungry again... it seems no matter what I eat I am always hungry within an hour afterwards. Am I just not normal or is it just in my head? Does anyone else get like this?

See bolded. If I only had 9gm of protein in a smoothie, I would be hungry too. When I make a smoothie it totals between 350 to 500 calories and has close to 60gm of protein. Cup of FAGE Greek Yogurt, serving of Whey Isolate Protien, some type of frozen fruit and some unsweetened almond milk.
  • aprilwatkins96
    aprilwatkins96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went through that "always being hungry" phase as well when I lost weight last year. After a few weeks, it got easier because my body got used to consuming less calories. I would increase what you are consuming in the morning. I generally tend to consume more calories in the morning (breakfast/lunch) but that it also when I am more active because I usually work out in the mornings.

So I would play around with what you are eating and when and see if that helps. Protein is one of the best to help provide energy and keep you full for longer. The more protein I eat, the better and more satisfied I generally feel.
  • aclough1
    aclough1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have noticed it may be what you eat. I find that I am less hungry when I eat actual meat instead of protein bars or smoothies. The meat takes longer to digest and break down in your body so it gives you that "full feeling" longer.
  • tiffanyguada
    Options
    All this is good advice...I am 5'4" and 183lbs, I just had a baby in November and am struggling very greatly. Also I just weaned not to long ago and am having trouble adjusting my body to the not breastfeeding/preggo diet where you eat anything and not gain much... I have a really big sweet tooth and has become my go to when I get hungry (which I am trying to change). I have just really started to get serious these last 2 weeks when my grandmother was put in the hospital because her high blood pressure problems have turned into congestive heart failure, I thought to myself that I don't want to be in that same position and need to change my habits.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    All this is good advice...I am 5'4" and 183lbs, I just had a baby in November and am struggling very greatly. Also I just weaned not to long ago and am having trouble adjusting my body to the not breastfeeding/preggo diet where you eat anything and not gain much... I have a really big sweet tooth and has become my go to when I get hungry (which I am trying to change). I have just really started to get serious these last 2 weeks when my grandmother was put in the hospital because her high blood pressure problems have turned into congestive heart failure, I thought to myself that I don't want to be in that same position and need to change my habits.
    Satisfy the sweet tooth with things like plain Greek yogurt (while I love full fat dairy, the 2% has more protein per cup) topped with berries and drizzled with honey. Raw almonds with dark chocolate chips or a few squares of good dark chocolate. Dip sliced apples in peanut butter - good sweet/salty combo there.

It's a matter of just making better choices - you can do it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

My diary is open to the public.

If you take away my "treats" I eat about 1400-1600 calories a day take a peek if you want to see how to get in all the food you need not to be hungry...I am never hungry.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im almost thinking you must be trolling here.

For one, you are extremely inconsistent with your logging. I can only find two days recently that you've tracked your intake.

And for two, the days you DID actually log, are filled with candy bars, ice cream bars, and donuts.

You are either totally clueless, or don't really care. Not sure which one.

I'm all for having treats on occasion, but if you eat high calorie junk foods (that are meant for once in awhile) on a daily basis, you won't have room in your calories for nutritious food that is filing and will keep you from being starving.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My protein shake is 17g of protein and i dont get hungry until 4 hours later.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That smoothie and snickers bar you had for breakfast wouldn't have lasted me long either. You need more protein for breakfast, like others said do your own with protein powder or Greek yogurt and fruit. If you need quick things a turkey sandwich and an apple would also be better.

Try to be more consistent with logging your food.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is to make sure your calorie goals are set appropriately for your size and activity level. Way too many people have their goals set too low and then wonder why their bodies are trying to tell them something.

Look for foods with lots of protein, fat, and fiber in them. These help keep us fuller and more satisfied longer. 9 grams of protein really isn't a lot. I tend to eat closer to 20-30 grams for breakfast to keep me full.

Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst for hunger.

Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 6 small meals a day and others do better on 2-3 larger meals. Meal timing/eating more frequently/eating or skipping breakfast won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your hunger levels, mood, gym performance, concentration, etc. Don't be afraid to play around and find what works for you.

Perfect answer! This time around I am actually learning and not just doing things mindlessly. I am reading "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" and SO much is finally understandable!! My breakfast is also around 25-30 g of protein. If I get less than that, my day is screwed up and my eating is totally off.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

For one, you are extremely inconsistent with your logging. I can only find two days recently that you've tracked your intake.

And for two, the days you DID actually log, are filled with candy bars, ice cream bars, and donuts.

I'm all for having treats on occasion, but if you eat high calorie junk foods (that are meant for once in awhile) on a daily basis, you won't have room in your calories for nutritious food that is filing and will keep you from being starving.

"Joined June 2014"

At most, the OP has been here about two weeks.

Unfortunately, a lot of people really are that clueless when first starting out. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Might I suggest cutting the OP a little slack and have a little more patience with them?
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

"Joined June 2014"

Unfortunately, a lot of people really are that clueless when first starting out. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Might I suggest cutting the OP a little slack and have a little more patience with them?

I'm not being impatient with the OP. If they've been here two weeks, and have only logged 2 days, they shouldn't be posting a "help I don't know why this isn't working" thread. It's common sense.

And I offered legitimate advice in my response. :flowerforyou:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to have more protein and eat fewer sugary treats. You might also want to get your blood sugar checked.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I saw your diary. Are you consuming the Bolthouse Farm smoothies? Those things have a minuscule amount of fruit and is mostly just apple juice, pear juice, or milk. You will most likely pee that out within an hour. Try making a real smoothie with actual fruit and yogurt.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

"Joined June 2014"

I'm not being impatient with the OP. If they've been here two weeks, and have only logged 2 days, they shouldn't be posting a "help I don't know why this isn't working" thread. It's common sense.

And I offered legitimate advice in my response. :flowerforyou:

Unfortunately, MFP doesn't provide any more fine-tuned information about a person's join date. For all we know, they joined two days ago.

If they only joined two days ago, then they're only going to have two days worth of logs. They can still be feeling constantly hungry if all they're doing is trying to do the "just eat what you already do, but less of it" method. The sensationalist crap spewed by "fitness" magazines doesn't help when it comes to reasonable expectations, either.

Your advice may be legitimate, but calling them a troll or uncaring isn't exactly welcoming to a newcomer. (FWIW, I agree with the spirit of the advice, just not the delivery.) :flowerforyou:
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat food that are more filling........ just because a smoothie has some protein powder thrown up in it doesn't mean its going to keep you full and focused. I recommend experimenting around but for me personally eating a three egg omelet at breakfast pretty much kills all cravings for a good 4 or 5 hours.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally I find solid food lasts longer at making me feel 'full'. I do buy 100 calorie/18g protein 'shakes' to help supplement my protein, but I don't expect them to replace a meal. In the morning I typically eat some fruit, a small breakfast sandwich (egg & cheese in a 1/2 pita pocket), cheese, etc.
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to have a smoothie in the morning before work and then had to have another breakfast mid morning it was getting out of hand so I stopped drinking them. Eat more filling food that should help you!
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Smoothie would not fill me up in the morning (especially with only 9g of protein).

My breakfast is two slices of whole wheat toast with pb, banana, cacao nibs, a protein shake (almond milk+whey), and greek yogurt with granola. Approximate totals are 836cals, 37g of protein.

My diary is open if you'd like to take a look at it :D

I checked out your diary and I'm impressed with how you managed 1600 calories a day with such a big breakfast! That's my maintenance intake goal (I think- testing out different numbers). I like the big breakfast, small salad for lunch, decent sized dinner method you're doing and think I'll try it. I find I'm always starving mid-morning/mid-afternoon at work, but I think eating that way could help. I'm just starting on this maintenance thing and get wigged out if I have a 300 calorie breakfast currently, thinking I'll crash my whole day.