How much do you have to lose to drop a dress size?

Options
hey everyone,

Right I have been trying to drop the weight for ages, I am finally making some progress after joining a gym and going 3-4 times a week one session being with a PT, I am also eating better and paying attention to what I snack on (that's the hardest bit).

So far I have lost 16lbs ( just over 1stone for those from uk) I'm a size 22 (uk) and am in desperate need of trousers, as my own trousers are loose I went shopping and came home empty handed, I couldn't even get a pair of size 22 to fit my bulky frame.

How is it that I can lose weight but not fit into my orginal size clothes or drop a size. How much do I have to lose to drop a size??

Sorry I think that turned into a rant, the positive aspect is that instead of crying behind the dressing room curtain about this latest failure I went home packed my gym bag and worked out. I believe you need to find the positives in every situation!!

Replies

• Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Where did you go shopping? I know that not all clothes are actually the same size which is a REAL pain in the *kitten*! It depends on the shape of the trousers and everything.

I started out on here a size 16 that fit quite snuggly if a little tight and after losing 18lb i find they are now loose but I still cant get into my size 14 trousers. I guess that it's about 2 stone per clothes size.
    Please don't worry, you're doing SO well and before you know it you'll be dropping a size! Just keep your chin up and carry on with what you're doing.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    I started at 15 stone and as a UK size 16....a couple of months later I am 13 stone 6 and STILL a size 16!! Its very strange as my old size 16 work trousers hang off me but like you, the next size down doesnt fit?

The thing is, we are losing weight and getting healthier, I know im looking so much better and I feel so much better too. And I bet you are too! Thats whats important. I think its different for everybody, how much they lose to go down a dress size, but dont let it get you down! Keep up the good work and the dress sizes will go down!!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done you for not letting your shopping trip get you down and for turning it into a positive experience! :smile: A few more weeks in the gym and who knows?? I have been there crying in the changing room... I was the size 16 14 year old when all my friends were stripping off and dancing round the COMMUNAL changing rooms in 'Tammy Girl' *cringe* so I do know how you feel!!

Sadly though, I don't think there is a rule for how much weight equates to a dress size...I am sure people will offer you an estimation, but it seems to vary wildly from person to person. I just joined MFP at a size 10 (tight) and now have almost reached my goal having lost nearly 8kg - I am STILL a size 10 (loose!) - so for me, I guess I would have to lose a lot more to drop a dress size.... but I have seen people go out and have to change their whole wardrobe after losing only 10lbs or so...so it really does depend on your bone structure, muscle mass, build etc as well as the actual numbers on the scales.

Don't lose heart though - you're doing the right thing!! :happy: Keep on pushing and you'll see ALL the numbers go down soon - and you'll be the one pouting and blowing kisses at yourself in the changing room mirrors.

Sorry if this isnt much help...but you aren't alone! So many people on MFP will be in your situation - or have been there before - if you feel low, just shout and someone will be sure to give you a lift!! :flowerforyou:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on your body shape, but you are doing REALLY REALLY well, don't be discouraged, it will happen I promise, keep up with what you are doing and soon you will be looking at a smaller size. I felt JUST like you, but I have now got to the stage where I can fit into smaller clothes. Also one thing, different shops do this thing, if you go into some places you will fit into a 20, and yet in another you can't and only manage a 22, so you go to the shop that you can buy a size 20...not any ACTUAL difference in you, it's just a label and a CON by the shop to make you want to buy from them!! It's gone on SO much that we are all weaing sizes that are actaully bigger than the original, the best way to demonstrate this is to go Wedding Dress shopping! THAT is a shock. But I am now able to wear a 10 jean from some shops, a 12 from others, 14 trousers from another and anything from a 14 to a 18 top (I am a busty lady) I don't worry about labels and sizes anymore, I just buy what fits me. Good luck, keep up the fabulous fabulous work and you will get there I promise xXx
  • Tubbyangel
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback, I think part of the problem is that I carry most of weight on my hips and legs, which makes shopping a nightmare especially coming up to Christmas. Everyone is wearing lovely wee dresses and I as usual am wearing dark trousers and carrying my heals!!! On the positive side my legs are warm and I save a fortune on fake tan lol.

Don't talk about wedding dresses I am supposed to start shopping for mine in January and honestly I am starting to lose sleep over it, I've heard they are all so small fitting. !!!!!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Same as me Avalon i'm 13st 5 now. I can get the 14's on but my thighs STRAAAAAIN against the material and there's no way in hell i can do those trousers up. I just feel good my 16's are getting so loose.

Angel, you will definitely be a size smaller by january if you keep going the way you are - i can promise you that. I've calculated I should lose another 10lb by new years and therefore SHOULD be a smaller size by then. When is your wedding?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Don't talk about wedding dresses I am supposed to start shopping for mine in January and honestly I am starting to lose sleep over it, I've heard they are all so small fitting. !!!!!

I think some bridal shops are finally catching up to the fact that the average woman is a size 12, so don't lose sleep over that. Just keep up the great work. To quote many from this site, "It dind't go on in a day and won't come off in a day!"

Keep the faith!~