1000 calorie burn

Options
Hey guys!

Just out of curiosity...

When you burn 1000+ calories in one day (on top of normal activities) how many calories do you consume?
I am not saying go get 3 cheeseburgers, I am just wondering how many more cals do you put into your body...

For example:

My daily goal is 1750.
I burned about 1100-1200 calories from exercise(s).

Thanks so much!
Just looking to squelch my curiosity and maybe get some tips/advice :)

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal.

Yesterday I burned 3100 calories riding 60 miles and still ate 2170.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to eat more food on the days that I don't exercise, and watch a weekly over all deficit instead. This isn't necessarily all that conscious, though. Just the way it plays out. If I'm hungry after a big workout, I eat

What do you weigh and what are you doing for how long to burn 1000 calories? If the burn level is suspect (like if MFP tells me I burned 500 calories walking at 2 mph for 20 minutes), then it may be best to eat back only a portion of the calories. For the day OR week
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I dont trust the amout of calories burned but I would aim to eat back 500 calories if I was hungry
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

And, haha, yeah, I definitely don't put in every single minute that I exercise, I know MFP overestimates calories burned.

I pay more attention to what my gear says, how my body feels, and then at least take 20% of those burned calories off.

Today, for example, I ran (in decent humidity, so my heart rate was higher) intervals outside along with cross training at the gym and 30 minutes of lifting and some core exercises. I also play on a competitive doubles sand volleyball league (we play tonight). Regarding the volleyball, I only add a very small fraction of how long I play into my MFP exercises, because I know they overestimate and I think of playing as normal calorie burn as well!

I am not going to go crazy, no no, but I know your body must be fueled properly and am learning more each day what this means. I have been athletic, but it has only been these last couple of years that I have been paying more attention to how I fuel and refuel. (And how to lose that jiggle!)

Thanks again, I really appreciate your guys' willingness to share :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I would say the strength training and core exercises would also be harder to closely estimate calories burned. You could always increase or decrease your daily calories as you go depending on how you feel, and your results over time
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal.

That's a terrible idea as you are not giving your body the fuel it needs. :noway:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > That's a terrible idea as you are not giving your body the fuel it needs.

Depends on his goals
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    I would say the strength training and core exercises would also be harder to closely estimate calories burned. You could always increase or decrease your daily calories as you go depending on how you feel, and your results over time

Yeah, those are pretty tricky to average calories burned. I put in 15 minutes when I really do 30. (Just to cushion some). But, as you said, I think the key is to not let hunger (or faux hunger) rule your eating, but let your body tell you what it needs. Thank you!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them. Unless I burn more than 1000, which would put my daily intake above 5000. I cannot physically consume that much in 24hrs. I just attempt to eat back as much as possible. I'm a long distance runner. Need the energy.
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    I eat all of them. Unless I burn more than 1000, which would put my daily intake above 5000. I cannot physically consume that much in 24hrs. I just attempt to eat back as much as possible. I'm a long distance runner. Need the energy.

Awesome! I had a broken foot from not running in the right gear (on ice) and I am finally able to run again, 4 miles today might seem like a sqeak, but I can't wait to build up again :)

Keep runnin'!
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat almost all of them, either that day or over the course of the day before and day after. That said, I am fairly confident I am burning that much.

Regarding your burns - your HRM will give you a higher reading in the humidity but it does not mean you burned more. That is one of the things that affects accuracy. Plus the other things you listed would be much harder to estimate burn. I'd be wary to eat the whole 1000 calories under those circumstances.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hungry I am, but I usually eat about half on the day of and save the rest to contribute to my weekly target. There are days when I don't have that kind of burn but want a little more food, so it's great to have a little extra in the bank.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal.

That's a terrible idea as you are not giving your body the fuel it needs. :noway:

K

thanks for the opinion, but my dietitian, trainers, PCP and endo and everyone else on my team would disagree.
  • muffincak
    muffincak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I gonna bring that up to my nutritionist on Monday.
    But my nutritionist told me to comsume no more than 1600 cal. per day. I wish I can burn a thousand per day. But its kinda of
    hard when your a single mom and trying to work. I'm pretty burnt out. But I try to do at least 40 mins. of walking 5 days per week.
    If you have any helpful tips. Let me know. Since I'm new to this weight loss journey.
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    I tend to eat almost all of them, either that day or over the course of the day before and day after. That said, I am fairly confident I am burning that much.

Regarding your burns - your HRM will give you a higher reading in the humidity but it does not mean you burned more. That is one of the things that affects accuracy. Plus the other things you listed would be much harder to estimate burn. I'd be wary to eat the whole 1000 calories under those circumstances.

Yep! Most definitely...I do have a Garmin, FT4, and HRM that help with determining calorie burn, and even then with all exercises (except running) I take out at least 20% of the calories MFP tells me I burn.

I never ever planned on eating back all 1000 calories, as I said before, I just wanted to get an idea of what others are doing :)

I appreciate your guys' concern about accuracy with calories burned, it is always good to be reminded!

Thank you very much :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back but I tend to not trust the estimates from sites or heart rate monitors which to me seem to be rather high values. My HRM tells me that for 55 minutes of plyometric cardio I burn 950 calories. I end up logging that as 500 because I just don't believe that 55 minutes of anything is going to burn 950 calories.
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    Once again ;)

I play doubles sand vball for 90 minutes, I put 25 minutes into MFP,

I lift for 30 minutes, I put 15 into MFP.

Etc.

I really do appreciate the concern over calories burned, I know MFP is pretty crazy when it comes to that, lol.

But, I was mostly concerned with what others do when they burned a higher than average amount :)

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    1300 calories on Mondays and Saturdays go largely ignored. However, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays tend to be very tasty days...