Low carb breakfast ideas, no dairy or fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest finding a good list of low carb foods; it'll give you some ideas of what you can have instead of looking at lists of things you can't. I think the list they have at the Atkins site is pretty good: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx There's a pretty comprehensive list of vegetables and their carb counts. You want to avoid veggies like carrots and tomatoes which are higher in carbs.

I'm not typically a low carb eater but I prefer to avoid a lot of sugar for my breakfast. Too much sugar gets me off on the wrong foot for the day. So most mornings my breakfast is an Atkins meal bar. I especially like the peanut butter granola. They're about 200 calories with 1 or 2 grams of sugar and 15-17 grams of protein. Total carbs is usually 2 or 3 grams. They are filling and pretty tasty.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk, protein powder, pb2 or nut butter, cocoa and ice.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like to stir-fry chicken breast and/or eggs with vegetables (in summer that's zucchini, summer squashes, tomatoes, carrots, baby peas, asparagus, peppers hot or sweet, and dark greens) and serve the mess with plenty of hot sauce or salsa. You can also dry-fry a corn tortilla and serve everything tostada-style for about 12g carbs, if you like.

Another good one is well-seasoned browned ground beef in miso broth with wilted greens and a poached egg. Basically just keep some browned beef on hand and in the morning heat your broth, toss in your greens, and immediately crack an egg in the center. Give it three minutes at a simmer, put some beef in the bottom of a bowl, and gently pour your broth/greens/egg mixture over the top. It's... breakfast soup, I guess, but it's really satisfying on chilly mornings.

Colder mornings can call for some full-fat Greek yogurt with pureéd berries on top (berries can be high carb, but if you blitz just a few in the blender and use them as a sauce you reduce the carbs while extending the flavor benefits). Serve this with a couple of slices of quickly fried ham or bacon on the side.
    We eat a lot of wilted chard or spinach with poached eggs. Never tried it with ground beef.