Help - Doing insanity - knee pain

Options
Looking for some advice. I'm almost done with week one, month two of Insanity. Other than your typical soreness I have felt pretty good. Yesterday I decided to go for a jog outside - about halfway through the run (5 miles) I developed outer knee pain on both sides. I had to stop a couple of times (of course I didn't stop all together! my fault!). I felt okay yesterday afternoon but last night the pain got much worse (on one side). It really hurts when I go up/down stairs, getting up from a sitting position and bending it. Walking really isn't causing much pain. Any thoughts? I know I should probably take a few days off from working out. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jessa271
    jessa271 Posts: 67
    Options
    Sounds like "runner's knee" which is technically called patella femoral pain syndrome. I've had it off and on for 20 years. Basically, the outer thigh muscles are so much stronger than the inner ones that it actually pulls your knee cap out of place, which makes it either very painful to bend (or straighten when it's bent for a while) or locks (happens after a long car ride, even if I'm driving). You should rest and ice it until the immediate pain is over & concentrate on working more the inner thigh muscles (I love Insanity, but all those jumps can seriously unbalance your legs). If it really keeps you from functioning normally for more than a few days, you need to have it checked out. You don't want to damage it permanently. Shaun T will be there when you're better!