Forbes Magazine Top 10 Obese States - Agree or Disagree?

Options
Top 10 Obesity

1 Connecticut
2 Rhode Island
3 Massachusetts
4 Florida
5 Wyoming
6 Colorado
7 Indiana
8 Vermont
9 Nevada
10Idaho

Replies

• DigitalRain
    Options
    Im surprised I don't see the southern states like Louisiana and Mississippi. Obesity is rampant here and it seems every other person had Type II Diabetes.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    DigitalRain, I'm with you. I'm surprised to see some of those Northern States listed. I thought us fried chicken or biscuits w/gravy folks would be on the list. Go figure.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah this definitely looks inaccurate to me. I've lived all over the US, and New England probably has the most fit people of any region in the country. Southern states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Texas etc) are some of the most obese.

All that southern cooking. :love:
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I thought Colorado was listed as one of the most fittest states a few years ago. I wonder what happened? People here are always riding bikes, skiing, mountain climbing, hiking, etc.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    A US World News report lists the following:

1. Mississippi: Once again, this is the fattest state. About 32.5 percent of its adult residents are obese, which means a body mass index (BMI) of more than 30. (That translates to more than 197 pounds on a 5'8" person.)

2. Alabama: It has an obesity rate of 31.2 percent, and an additional 35.3 percent of Alabamans are overweight (a BMI of between 25 and 29.9). Plus, it's among the top 10 most physically inactive states.

3. West Virginia: With an obesity rate of 31.1 percent, this state also has the highest percentage of adult diabetes in the nation, at 11.6 percent.

4. Tennessee: While residents are becoming more physically active, their stats still aren't great. The obesity rate is 30.2 percent, and an additional 36.7 percent are overweight.

5. South Carolina: With a 29.7 percent obesity rate and a 35.8 percent overweight rate, it's not surprising that South Carolina is also among the 10 states with the highest rates of adult diabetes and high blood pressure.

6. Oklahoma: Oklahoma's obesity rate jumped by 1.4 percentage points, to 29.5 percent. Not surprisingly, the prevalence of adult diabetes also rose significantly.

7. Kentucky: Kentucky is the second-least physically active state, which may partly explain why its obesity rate is 29 percent. An additional 38.4 percent of residents are overweight.

8. Louisiana: Its obesity rate is 28.9 percent, but that actually may be a tiny decline from last year. And it was one of four states to show a significant decrease in physical inactivity.

9. Michigan: Its obesity rate rose more than a percentage point to 28.8 percent, while the prevalence of diabetes and physical inactivity also rose.

10. Arkansas and Ohio: Both states clocked in with a 28.6 percent obesity rate, though Arkansas has more overweight people. And Ohio has a lower prevalence of physical inactivity, at 25 percent to Arkansas's 28.8 percent.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Ulitmately, America is too FAT... and we need to do something about it!
  • Niki24x7
    Options
    They should check out the top fattest cities. I'm from Buffalo and we have some killer food like no other.... Not to mention, not to many people here make fitness a priority.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    this looks like the least obese list
  • Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would have never figured Florida with all those beaches!!! However, I live in Michigan and everyone here is HUGE, okay a lot of people I think its challenging here because everyone is broke and can't afford a gym membership, because in the winter time the frigid cold and snow make it nearly impossible to be active outside!!!
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    DigitalRain, I'm with you. I'm surprised to see some of those Northern States listed. I thought us fried chicken or biscuits w/gravy folks would be on the list. Go figure.

Don't forget that we northern states have Wisconsin - America's Dairyland - in our midst. Cheese, milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, cheese. Oh, and the breweries in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Plus midwest corn-feed beef. And several chapters of the Pork Producers Association. We also have northern winters, when we tend to put on a layer of fat and hibernate. Come to think of it, I am surprised that MI, WI, IL and IA are not higher on the list!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I disagree with this list. I moved from Kentucky to Colorado about 12 years ago. It was like going from one extreme to another. When I lived in Kentucky, people considered going for a walk around the block as their workout for the day. Not trying to be mean, I'm just saying . . . . Here in Colorado, there are miles of bike trails in most neighborhoods. And we are talking miles and miles! It's not unusual to go out for a two hour bike ride. People are so active here. The kids walk to school and you see people outside all the time running or walking their dogs or riding bikes.

When my dad comes out to visit from Kentucky, he always mentions one difference he has noticed. You have to look long and hard to find an all-you-can-eat restaurant here. I guess there are lots more in Kentucky! :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I love my home state. It is truly a very friendly and beautiful place. But I love all the opportunities to be active here and I doubt I could go back to that type of lifestyle again. It's a whole different mindset here.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    PA to ! I think there is like 2 obese people for every average weight person here .
  • Nicolletta
    Options
    I lived in TN for 16 years and saw the toll of all the good homecooked meals and lack of exercise took every day. When my aunt (who lives in Los Angeles) visited, let's just say she couldn't believe the difference. :huh:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana and I think it should be higher on the list. I always see people who are much bigger than me and I'm trying to lose 80 more lbs.! Parks, biking and hiking trails are not much of a priority in this state, in my opinion. Of course that takes money, which requires tax money, which in this state is a bad word!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    this looks like the least obese list

this
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Don't forget that we northern states have Wisconsin - America's Dairyland - in our midst. Cheese, milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, cheese. Oh, and the breweries in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Plus midwest corn-feed beef. And several chapters of the Pork Producers Association. We also have northern winters, when we tend to put on a layer of fat and hibernate. Come to think of it, I am surprised that MI, WI, IL and IA are not higher on the list!

I fully agree that WI, IL and MI have got to be the in the fattest. I remember Detroit and Chicago being in the top 10 obese cities in the U.S..

I mean Chicago has so much food it's just insane and not to forget Detroit is the most depressed state in the U.S. with it's high unemployment rate and poor weather. That instantly can put a damper on anyones mood which as we know for most people depression=poor eating habits.
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    Yeeeaah, that list has to be incorrect. I'm from Mississippi and I promise you this is a very obese state. We have high obesity, high unemployment rates and high teen pregnancies. Normally, we are on top of the "Worst of" lists. It's pretty sad, actually. Bless the governor's wife. She's pushing a "Let's Go Walking, Mississippi" campaign but it's not working. :huh:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I disagree with your list then, because I know Mississippi has gotta be on the top ten list somewhere. In first place I believe.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Very surprised not to see North Carolina on there.
    Maybe the beach folk average us out.
    I live up near the mountains and I think 3/4 of the people I see are obese.
    I work at GNC so we have lots of people coming in looking for the magical diet pill
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Top 10 Obesity

1 Connecticut
    2 Rhode Island
    3 Massachusetts
    4 Florida
    5 Wyoming
    6 Colorado
    7 Indiana
    8 Vermont
    9 Nevada
    10Idaho

i found the original article for this and these states had made the most significant change over the last 20 years regarding obesity.
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/16/unhealthy-healthy-states-lifestyle-health-states-top_chart.html it was simply a matter of the OP misunderstanding the data...