How the hell are you all eating so little?!

Options
I could never eat 1200 cals. I am nursing and have my goal set to 1800. That is the # I got from a nursing calculator. Anyhow...I am really struggling to stay at or under 1800!!! I am very hungry mid-day and at night. I have been at this for a bit now, and I am losing really slowly, or bouncing up and down within 5lbs when I eat more than 1800. Without pigging out or binging, I could naturally eat 2200 cals! Seriously, how are you all doing this? This is SO hard. I feel so deprived but I really shouldn't given I am allowing 1800. And I am hitting my macros(40 carbs/30protein/30fat) so I should feel satiated. ????? I am never going to get to my goal if I go above 1800, but I just am having such a hard time not feeling bad and hungry. :( Help?

Replies

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    quite easily.

I'm a guy and I COULD cope on 1000 calories a day if I had to....

some days I had trouble getting it up to 1200.... and now I've increased my calories (when I found out 1200 was wayyy too low) its even harder.

What kind of foods are you eating?

there are loads of low calorie foods that can keep you full up for a long time!
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you eating?

I stay around 1,400 calories a day and I struggle to meet that goal. I know if I've had a minimal amount of protein for the day I'm more apt to binge so I keep high protein snacks around.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I could never eat 1200 cals. I am nursing and have my goal set to 1800. That is the # I got from a nursing calculator. Anyhow...I am really struggling to stay at or under 1800!!! I am very hungry mid-day and at night. I have been at this for a bit now, and I am losing really slowly, or bouncing up and down within 5lbs when I eat more than 1800. Without pigging out or binging, I could naturally eat 2200 cals! Seriously, how are you all doing this? This is SO hard. I feel so deprived but I really shouldn't given I am allowing 1800. And I am hitting my macros(40 carbs/30protein/30fat) so I should feel satiated. ????? I am never going to get to my goal if I go above 1800, but I just am having such a hard time not feeling bad and hungry. :( Help?

Well, seems like you are getting enough protein already but if you want to feel more satiated with the same amount of calories what works for most people is to up the amount of protein you are getting, maybe go 30/40/30 and try that out?
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    calories has nothing to do with quantity just smart choices.

I eat enormous amounts of food. ( more than my 370 lb husband) and i eat around 1200-1400 daily

Throw me a friends request if you want a gander in my diary. I keep it to friends only as i do most things as i don't want MFP trolls up in my business ;)

(edit to note i snuck in a piece of toast and a banana tonight on a full stomach to make calories up! )
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    What's wrong with that? Your losing weight, that's the goal yes? Success. Not everyone eats only 1,200.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you're still nursing I suggest you speak to a medical professional who knows your history and your current situation as we know neither. You may also be more active than you realise.

Try more protein dense foods as they can help you to feel fuller for longer, befriend some people on here with similar goals as you and have a look at their diaries for inspiration.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight now? I eat 1790 and lose each week while not nursing. I remember my nursing days and how hungry I would get. What calculator gave you the 1800 number?
  • heiditam
    heiditam Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks you all. :) I can def add more protein...Will try that...

For breakfast always a protein shake-1 scoop whey, 3/4-1 cup fruit, 1/3 cup greek yogurt(fage 2%).
    I have 1/4-1/2 cup whole milk with coffee every AM too.
    Lunch-usually another shake, like above but with spinach. Then nuts and cheese, sugar snap peas, popcorn. THose are my fave snacks.
    I get super hungry about an hour after lunch and crave carbs and have to fight hard not to eat a slice of bread.
    Dinner is roasted veggies in olive oil, lean beef or chicken breasts, and either a homemade bread or potatoes.
    After dinner I am very hungry too, and usually eat 1/2 cup greek yogurt sweetened with maple syrup.

I do find that eliminating processed sugars has helped curb some cravings but I still have hunger.

Any insight is appreciated!
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Easy......... just slowly reduce your calorie DAILY intake by 50-100 calories every 7 days. Slow and steady wins the race. It gives your body time to adjust.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking your food you may find a difference.

Food packed with protein and fibre is better than drinking your calories.
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Both times I've nursed, I could've probably eaten 2500 cals/ day and still felt like I was starving. Especially when my kids were young and nursing every 1.5-2 hours, I could not keep up with my hunger! I also had problems cutting calories when I nursed because my supply would take a huge nosedive. Maybe try upping your calories by 100/ day to see if that helps? I don't think someone who hasn't nursed full time can understand the hunger!
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try losing weight more slowly, like half a pound a week. After a few weeks your hunger adjusts to the lower calories.

Eat low Glycemic Index. Google for more info on that.

Make sure you get enough protein at each meal. I love nuts as a snack. Eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese instead of regular yogurt.

Don't eat refined carbs and sugar. They're full of calories but don't fill you up at all. Eat whole grains, vegetables and fruit and beans, all full of fiber to help you feel full and they digest more slowly.

Drink a glass of water half an hour before meals. That gives your body time to absorb it and increases satiety at the meal. You know how they say if you think you're hungry you might really be thirsty? Drink your water.

Eat foods with strong tastes so you know you've eaten something.

Watch out for caffeine or alcohol. Caffeine can make you more hungry.
  • heiditam
    heiditam Posts: 6
    Options
    More good info since I posted! Thank you!!! :)

I will try eating a real lunch as suggested-I like turkey breast, so that is easy!

I am currently 5 7" and weigh between 145-153, depending. :/ Its frustrating...I am fluctuating between 1800-2400 cals. Which explains that bouncing. I may be more active than I realize. I am chasing after a toddler a lot, lol...I don't know-I am beginning weights but my workouts are super sporadic-like 1x or maybe 2x a week lately-and they only last 30 minutes tops...and I have done ONE HIIT workout since I started these goals, at a mere 30 min., so really, any activity must be just usual daily living.

I am glad you all understand nursing hunger! It is bad!

I used this calculator http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm -- WIth no activity it says I need 1800...
    If I say I have 3x a week activity it says I need 2000.

MFP BMR says 1400-and if I add in the -500 for breastfeeding that would be 1900.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Both times I've nursed, I could've probably eaten 2500 cals/ day and still felt like I was starving. Especially when my kids were young and nursing every 1.5-2 hours, I could not keep up with my hunger! I also had problems cutting calories when I nursed because my supply would take a huge nosedive. Maybe try upping your calories by 100/ day to see if that helps? I don't think someone who hasn't nursed full time can understand the hunger!

This - nursing requires a lot of calories! was told by my doctor not to diet when I was nursing because it would affect the milk supply. I did anyway to lose the baby weight, but I allowed myself an extra 800 calories for nursing. I lost weight and it did not affect the milk supply. There was no MFP in those days (my youngest child is 37 now) and I don't remember exactly, but I think I figured 1500 calories for me to lose weight, plus 800 for the milk, so I was eating around 2300 calories a day. I had to adjust that upwards a couple of times as the baby got bigger and hungrier, until I started feeding her solids.

I agree with the previous poster that you would probably be more satisfied eating solid food, rather than drinking your calories.

Good luck and enjoy your little one!

ETA: I looked at that calculator. Based on my personal experience, I think it's significantly underestimating the calories - especially since it does not factor in the size and age of the baby!
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options

This - nursing requires a lot of calories! was told by my doctor not to diet when I was nursing because it would affect the milk supply. I did anyway to lose the baby weight, but I allowed myself an extra 800 calories for nursing. I lost weight and it did not affect the milk supply. There was no MFP in those days (my youngest child is 37 now) and I don't remember exactly, but I think I figured 1500 calories for me to lose weight, plus 800 for the milk, so I was eating around 2300 calories a day. I had to adjust that upwards a couple of times as the baby got bigger and hungrier, until I started feeding her solids.

I agree with the previous poster that you would probably be more satisfied eating solid food, rather than drinking your calories.

Good luck and enjoy your little one!

ETA: I looked at that calculator. Based on my personal experience, I think it's significantly underestimating the calories - especially since it does not factor in the size and age of the baby!

^^these!

I was never one of those lucky ones who lost weight while nursing, my body struggled to keep up with my milk making demands and I was always starving so I was always eating! After my first go around I learned quickly that it was never easy to lose weight while nursing. My youngest just weaned two months ago so that's when I restarted with MFP to get the excess weight off. Good luck!
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am currently 5 7" and weigh between 145-153, depending. :/ Its frustrating...I am fluctuating between 1800-2400 cals. Which explains that bouncing. I may be more active than I realize. I am chasing after a toddler a lot, lol...I don't know-I am beginning weights but my workouts are super sporadic-like 1x or maybe 2x a week lately-and they only last 30 minutes tops...and I have done ONE HIIT workout since I started these goals, at a mere 30 min., so really, any activity must be just usual daily living.

I am 5'7'' as well and 150 is my target weight. I don't know what else you want to loose. You just have the right weight. Regarding your hunger in relation to nursing. You may don't eat enough solid food as other have stated. Most of your intake is in liquid form and may doesn't last as long as more solids. Also, maybe upper it for 100-200 calories.

Adding just more protein may cause your child discomfort. My son was sensitive to the milk protein I produced and when ever I uppered my protein intake he had digestive problems. As you know, everything you eat reflect in your milk supply as well.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want to check on my diary as well!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've been playing with intermittent fasting this month. Feeling deprived seems less problematic when you eat only every other day. Really appreciate your meals on the "on" days. =D
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing I was very hungry and I ate. I was just extremely active. I would push my two babies up hill for more than an hour a day. We walked everywhere. Played at the park and pool. I did pilates at home. Went to the gym a lot because that was my break and interaction with people (they had childcare). Then I was back to dancing when my youngest baby was under a year.

But, I understand needing to eat more, I have always needed to eat quite a bit because I am active.

So, maybe you could increase your activity. Just another option.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mother, but I understanding nursing burns something like 700 extra calories per day. Don't think about holding yourself to 1200. 1900-2000 might be more what would work for you.