Stalled shoulder press

Options
shmerek
shmerek Posts: 963 Member
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone might have some pointers for kickstarting a stalled overhead dumbbell press. All my other lifts are improving but for shoulders I have been stuck with the same weight for ages trying to hit 3 sets of 10. I am always a few reps short and I don't really want to bump the weight up until I can hit my numbers. I try to do a full ROM but perhaps I am taking it too low, usually the dumbbells are just grazing my shoulders. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I was wondering if anyone might have some pointers for kickstarting a stalled overhead dumbbell press. All my other lifts are improving but for shoulders I have been stuck with the same weight for ages trying to hit 3 sets of 10. I am always a few reps short and I don't really want to bump the weight up until I can hit my numbers. I try to do a full ROM but perhaps I am taking it too low, usually the dumbbells are just grazing my shoulders. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I usually touch and go my shoulder with DB's when doing presses.

Do you also do OHP? I switch em out for seated DB presses once in while. Could also switch to OHP for 4-6 weeks, then return to DB presses and see if there is improvements.

I also do DB push presses to help with my OHP, so that might also help you're db presses.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Cheers, I haven't tried either but maybe I will switch to OHP for a bit and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    OHP is one of the hardest to improve. I would suggest trying several things: One. A deload of 10-20%, then working back up. 2. Trying a program such as All Pros, or Wendler 5/3/1.
    Mike
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A barbell can be easier to progress in OHP since you can microload using fractional plates more effectively than with dumbbells.
    But also try doing it push press style and/or earlier in that days workout. That way your brain knows you can put that weight up overhead.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, have lots of ideas to look into now, hopefully I will be able to bust out of this rut eventually
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Another one for push press for assistance work.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Paused reps are another option. Press > Eccentric > hold in the shelf for 2 to 3 secs > Press, repeat. It definitely adds a different training stimulus using the same exercise. You could also try doing some ladders maybe. Using 135lb's as an example...

warm-ups
    95 x 10
    115 x 10
    135 x 10
    95 x 10
    115 x 10
    135 x 10
    95 x 10
    115 x 10
    135 x ___

Make sure you're getting some rear delt / lat work in as they very much support the Press and Bench Press. It's hard to say without knowing your goals and volume but you may need some additional tricep work. Anecdotaly I had somebody, somebody strong, tell me that Dips seemed to help their Press too.
  • shmerek
    Options
    I am not too sure if I do any rear delt work but I do wide grip pull ups and bent over rows for my lats and they have come on strong. I strap 20kg on for my pull ups and that adds about another 1/3 to my body weight. As for goals I am trying to gain size and strength. Most of my compound lifts I do in a range between 8-10 reps for 3-4 sets. With the few isolation exercises I do I usually go a bit higher with the reps and a bit lower with the sets.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    forced negatives.

thats typically my answer in this situation, but they are probably a little harder to do with OHP.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    could try drop sets too, start at your highest then go down from there with no rest inbetween sets.

doing pretty much any power shoulder stuff that you don't normally do should be potentially helpful

eating more calories and protein could potentially help as well
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    BTN press
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Are you doing them the same day as Bench Press and after? You might try them first or on an alternate day from bench press.

I was stuck a long time. I typically do strict overhead press. What finally got be going again was this

HST protocol for full body lifting, switched to Arnold Press with dumbells during 6 weeks
    Done on same day as bench, after bench press (3 days a week full body lift)
    2 weeks of 2 sets of 15 reps, start fairly light increase weight each workout.
    2 weeks of 2 sets of 10 reps, start lighter than finish of 15 reps, increase weight each workout
    2 weeks of 3 sets of 5 reps, start lighter than 10s increase the weight each time
    Take 10 days off from weight lifting (e.g. strategic de conditioning)

Switch back to overhead press and 5x3, do them on alternate days from Bench press. (started all weights light added weight each workout)
    After 2 weeks started making new PRs for a while.

I find overhead press the hardest to keep progressing. I'm sure dumbells are the same. I have a couple of my own "micro" plate. So you can load each time very small, Don't go to failure right away. Just start lighter keep adding small weights each time and eating a surplus and it will come.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Yup same day as bench press. Thanks for that, I have never heard of HST, I'll do some googling.