calling all Boston/Maine people!

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
Hi all,
I will be traveling to Boston and Maine this summer with my hubby and 2 pre teen children. Please recommend some must go to restaurants (kids are not picky eaters) and anything to do with the kids at night. I have all the touristy stuff planned-there is so much to do!

Also would appreciate any must do things on the way from Boston driving to Maine.

thanks!

Replies

• kariokey1
    kariokey1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Where abouts in Maine? I can help with that.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Portland ME! Thx!
  • kariokey1
    Options
    Im not from or anywhere near Portland, sorry! Can tell you though there's lots to do & it's a great city.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Boston MUST go:

Union Oyster House www.unionoysterhouse.com
    Durgin Park http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park.html

Walk the Freedom Trail http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
    Museum of Science http://www.mos.org/

Take the "purple line" to Salem and take a ghost tour
    Further down the purple line and land in Gloucester, the nations oldest seaport

Lots to do... have a fun trip and remember when driving in MA blinkers are a sign of weakness and we use the finger like other people wave and smile. its nothing personal.
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In Portland go to the Old Port and pick a place to eat. I haven't had a bad meal there yet at any restaurant. Lots of cool shops and stuff there too. You can take in a "AA" ballgame at Hadley Field. Its a Fenway Park replica.

In Boston the No Name Restaurant is good seafood and its inexpensive for Boston. Durgan Park is a landamark. Avoid ****s Last Resort in Fanual Hall. The food sucks. Any Italian restaurant in the North End is worth going to. I've had good luck at La Summa on Fleet Street. Haymarket is a unique experiance if you're in Boston on a Saturday.

Between Boston and Maine is Portsmouth, NH. Everything is within walking distance. Nice shops, good restaurants, senic views, harbor cruises, historic sites. Just South of Portsmouth the beaches in Hampton thru Rye are nice.

I agree with the blinkers comment. So true. And drop your "R"s. Practice now, repeat after me "Pahk the cah in Havahd Yahd" And learn what "wicked pissa" means.

Send me a message if you need more info.

(Apparently I needed to write "Richard's" Last resort because they don't like the "D" word here! :laugh:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    No one says wicked pissa *eye roll*

And the fastest way to get NO HELP is to make fun of the way we talk. Trust me, no one talks the way this guy ^^^ describes us.
  • kariokey1
    Options
    True, we actually make fun of people that talk that way, don't hear it much though...and im in eastern Maine.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Anywhere you turn in Boston there are fantastic restaurants; any ethnic type you want, you have plenty to choose from. Go to Fenway Park too. There is a ton to do in Boston and all along the coast to Maine.
  • dcaiani
    Options

And the fastest way to get NO HELP is to make fun of the way we talk. Trust me, no one talks the way this guy ^^^ describes us.

Lighten up!!! While wicked pissa may not be said much anymore, the word wicked to describe things certainly is. Not sure I was encouraging her to make fun of how we talk.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Lighten up!!! While wicked pissa may not be said much anymore, the word wicked to describe things certainly is. Not sure I was encouraging her to make fun of how we talk.

*We* don't talk that way.
  • dcaiani
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVcIn7Q4Cc

For a real taste of what you'll hear
  • william622
    william622 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Doyles in Jamaica plain and santarpios
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you drive up the coastal road in Maine, Rte. 1, there are so many fried seafood places. They have picnic tables and you can eat outside. We used to just order hot dogs for the kids and eat fried clams or lobster. One year, the "shacks" were having a lobster price war, every day the lobster got cheaper and cheaper. One day it was 9.99 for twin lobsters. My daughter would always say "Mommy's eating monsters again."