Help with amount of calories I need to eat?

Options
So I thought I was doing great on eating well but on my last question I asked, everyone said I was eating too little calories to healthily and effectively lose weight! MFP says to have 1200 cals per day. I am 5'1", 19 years old, and 150 lbs with a goal weight of 120 lbs. Apparently eating this much and doing absolutely nothing will get me down to my weight. But I feel like that isn't enough, and the whole time I'll be waiting to see results that aren't coming and it'll be a big waste of time. I feel as if I have to eat about 1200 cals and then run AT LEAST one mile every day, which burns about 190 cals per mile, but not eat those calories back. I'm worried about being unhealthy but also about not seeing results and not losing weight. Someone please enlighten me and let me know what I should do to lose 1.5 lbs a week?

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 70 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
    In general, your calorie intake as a woman, should not go below 1200 calories. If you are having trouble losing, you may actually need to up your calorie intake in small increments.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    You should not be losing 1.5 lbs per week. That is entirely too much. You should be losing 1 lb per week, and how much you should eat is dictated by how active you are.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I really like this post for walking you through the two most popular ways to set your calorie goals. You might take a look: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets