personal trainer question

LaraeTX
LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Right now I'm taking an online class to get my fitness/nutrition certificate, can I become a personal trainer with just that certificate or do I also need to get a certificate for personal training? I would like to just do something out of my house not in a gym or anything. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    I'm also thinking about doing the same, I'll have to keep checking to see what everyone says. Love your profile pic with Ryan, I met him over the summer.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Apparently that's all it takes.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    You have to get a personal trainer one as well.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    It depends on where you are and what you are actually getting as to what the laws are for training. Unfortunately, most states don't have regulations for fitness training. So, technically, if you live in a state that doesn't have regulations on the industry, you don't even need a certification for personal training. That's why the number one recommendation I give to people who are looking for a trainer is to see their actual certificates and check out the certification organization. Most national certifications these days you buy the books and study at home and then go take the test at a proctor location or you go to their weekend certification course. If you are going to work for a gym, you will need one of those specific certifications. Generally the top 5 that are accepted by most gyms are ACSM, ACE, AFAA, NASM, and NSCA. Those certifications generally cost anywhere from $300 to $2000 for all the books and workshops. They also require CPR and continuing education credits to be able to re-certify every 2 years. You also have to get specific certifications for working in a gym. So if you want to work as a personal trainer, for example, a nutrition certification won't work in a gym setting.

As for nutrition, it again depends on your state. Most states have laws that only a Registered Dietitian can prescribe diet plans, so with a nutrition certification you are really limited in what you can and can't do. Other states allow for you to work as a nutritionist with a certification, but you have to stick to your area of expertise (IE: Sports Nutrition) and refer to a dietitian for any other issues. There aren't many nutrition certifications out there because of the fact that most states are so limited in what they can do, so check with your state licensing boards to double check that you don't have to be an RD in your area before you start practicing a nutrition business.

From the description of what you are taking, I'm betting you are doing the course from PCDI or some other online school, right? I actually did the PCDI one a few years ago thinking it was a course that would lead to a college degree or could transfer to a local college to get my degree. Unfortunately, it was wasted money because nobody recognizes it as even a national certification. Which is really sad because it was a lot more in depth information then what is normally given in a certification. I've since gone on to an actual college (and have done some of my core coursework online through them) and am getting my bachelors in exercise physiology with a minor in nutrition. I'm planning to go on for my doctorate in physical therapy and possibly a masters in nutrition for the RD. Basically, I've done all I can with the certifications and have to get more education to work in the clinical or professional sports fields because they don't recognize any certifications for those areas of the exercise field.

Oh and one other thing, if you do start doing personal training, don't advertise it as PT. PT actually stands for physical therapy and is a doctoral level education, so if you advertise personal training as PT or use the initials PT after your name on business cards trying to abbreviate personal trainer, then you could get in trouble for false advertising. At the very least you'll upset a bunch of physical therapists who have paid $120,000 + for their education to be allowed to use those initials. ;-)

Good luck with your new business, and let me know if you need any help in getting started.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    It depends on where you are and what you are actually getting as to what the laws are for training. Unfortunately, most states don't have regulations for fitness training. So, technically, if you live in a state that doesn't have regulations on the industry, you don't even need a certification for personal training. That's why the number one recommendation I give to people who are looking for a trainer is to see their actual certificates and check out the certification organization. Most national certifications these days you buy the books and study at home and then go take the test at a proctor location or you go to their weekend certification course. If you are going to work for a gym, you will need one of those specific certifications. Generally the top 5 that are accepted by most gyms are ACSM, ACE, AFAA, NASM, and NSCA. Those certifications generally cost anywhere from $300 to $2000 for all the books and workshops. They also require CPR and continuing education credits to be able to re-certify every 2 years. You also have to get specific certifications for working in a gym. So if you want to work as a personal trainer, for example, a nutrition certification won't work in a gym setting.

As for nutrition, it again depends on your state. Most states have laws that only a Registered Dietitian can prescribe diet plans, so with a nutrition certification you are really limited in what you can and can't do. Other states allow for you to work as a nutritionist with a certification, but you have to stick to your area of expertise (IE: Sports Nutrition) and refer to a dietitian for any other issues. There aren't many nutrition certifications out there because of the fact that most states are so limited in what they can do, so check with your state licensing boards to double check that you don't have to be an RD in your area before you start practicing a nutrition business.

From the description of what you are taking, I'm betting you are doing the course from PCDI or some other online school, right? I actually did the PCDI one a few years ago thinking it was a course that would lead to a college degree or could transfer to a local college to get my degree. Unfortunately, it was wasted money because nobody recognizes it as even a national certification. Which is really sad because it was a lot more in depth information then what is normally given in a certification. I've since gone on to an actual college (and have done some of my core coursework online through them) and am getting my bachelors in exercise physiology with a minor in nutrition. I'm planning to go on for my doctorate in physical therapy and possibly a masters in nutrition for the RD. Basically, I've done all I can with the certifications and have to get more education to work in the clinical or professional sports fields because they don't recognize any certifications for those areas of the exercise field.

Oh and one other thing, if you do start doing personal training, don't advertise it as PT. PT actually stands for physical therapy and is a doctoral level education, so if you advertise personal training as PT or use the initials PT after your name on business cards trying to abbreviate personal trainer, then you could get in trouble for false advertising. At the very least you'll upset a bunch of physical therapists who have paid $120,000 + for their education to be allowed to use those initials. ;-)

Good luck with your new business, and let me know if you need any help in getting started.

Thank you so much I will do some more research for the state of Texas. My online class is through Penn Foster and I'm really enjoying. Thanks for you time and expertise in the area.
This discussion has been closed.