Red meat linked to cancer?

Options
13»

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat steak often, It is impossible for me to eat a whole one, I end up getting this bits where I have to chew and chew and chew and eventually just swallow it whole. It's not worth it for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When it comes to cancer, how much you eat and how much you move may be bigger factors than what you eat.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/05/fruits-and-vegetables-may-not-prevent-cancer/
    Dr. Walter Willett, a leading expert on nutrition and health at the Harvard School of Public Health, says your diet may play less of a role in cancer prevention as originally thought. “As better data have come along,” he says, “the benefits for cancer don’t look nearly as impressive.”

And fat doesn’t appear to be as bad as once thought for promoting cancer either. “There had been a strong belief that fat in our diet was the major cause of breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer and other cancers as well,” Dr. Willett explains, “but what’s emerged as the data have come in is that total fat is not importantly related to any cancer.”
    In the meantime, diet aside, being overweight increases the risk of several different types of cancer like breast, colon and prostate. And regular exercise is also very important for cancer prevention.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is not to have more than one serving of red meat per day - failed today though as I have had chilli for breakfast and lunch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The people who eat red meat are less physically active
    ...and more likely to smoke.

This is why I should read more of the thread.

Seriously. How did I miss these gems.

I guess I need to get on board the guess wagon and just sit around all day now!!! clearly not giving up my red meat for my highly active life style!
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It is not the food that causes cancer it's what we've done to the food that results in cancer. Cows are fed diets of corn...corn which has been modified out the ying yang and dusted with pesticides then ingested by cows full of hormones we pumped them with...so do not blame red meat or any food for that matter, blame us for screwing with nature.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat steak often, It is impossible for me to eat a whole one, I end up getting this bits where I have to chew and chew and chew and eventually just swallow it whole. It's not worth it for me.
    Either purchase higher quality of steaks or get better dentures.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'd rather live a short life with cancer than a long one without steak.

seriously.

life without steak isn't worth living.
    I concur.

I make it a point to have one a week, either on the grilll or over the fire.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As usual blame is placed in the wrong place, It's not the meat; it's how the animal was raised. Just stay away from factory farmed meat. Know the source of your food.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me. When Americans collectively get fed up enough to get our collective heads out of our collective butts, the first demand should be independent researchers doing independent studies on food and drug safety issues. And an end to the paid studies and the self policing all around.

Umm, silly question, if they aren't paid studies, who is going to do them? Independent researchers are not going to do them for free. People work to earn a wage not because they are bored and want something to do. Oh, I suppose the government could pay for it? Well not so sure that is the best idea either since supposedly industry owns our government as well. Big bad scary industry, I want to go hide under my bed. They give us jobs and put food on our tables. They help us earn money to buy houses, cars, food, vacations etc.....

I do not understand this criticism of studies because they are paid for by an industry that the study effect in a negative way. If they hire a 3rd party to do the study what is the difference. Now if it is the company itself doing the study then I can see there could be an issue but most of these are 3rd party studies that industry funds. Do you really think they stand over the author of the study and say, "umm, you cannot write that, I paid for this. Please disregard your findings and use this verbage"? Probably not.

I am more worried about the scientists involved with these studies that come with a biased opinions based on emotion.

We're going to pay for it. Our tax dollars already pay for all kinds of useful research, the beneficial results of which often get turned over to corporations for them to profit off of. Like the internet. Something we should put an immediate stop to in order to fund public research in the public interest.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Correlation may not prove causation, but it can mean there is a need for further study to find evidence for or against causation.

Anyway, I usually avoid red meat for microbiome reasons, though that could be related to cancer, too.