How to stop losing?

Options
I hit my goal (college) weight with a loss of 26 pounds in 3 months. Very proud of myself. So starting 4 days ago I up'ed my target intake by 400 calories, which is what it's telling me I should do to maintain my weight. However, I've lost another 2 pounds since then! I don't want to lose any more weight but I also don't want to just start eating like crazy to stop it. I guess I'll increase the calorie count some more and see what happens.

I am committed to maintaining the lifestyle changes I've adopted: frequent exercise, frequent but smaller meals/snacks, etc. so i plan to continue counting all my calories in MFP for at least another year.

Any advice from others who hit their goal and stabilized successfully?

[And for those who haven't hit final goal yet: keep it up! MFP was instrumental in my life-change.]

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My dad has this issue but he was running a lot. Are your exercises still pretty intense? Maybe start some strength training to build muscle?
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the same thing! If you have not already done so, try upping your protein and adding in some healthy liquid calories (like milk and juice). Try holding your calorie count for a while. If you don't eat your exercise cals, this may be the time to start :ohwell:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the same thing too. Trying to figure out how to tweak my diet so I don't lose anymore, but can continue distance running. I'm thinking protien and nuts will be the key.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position now, I've reached a weight I'm happy at but it's scary to up the cals by too much as I'm afraid of un doing my efforts, I've just started to reduce cardio and alternate with less intensive weight training and toning... I just love my cardio and find the "slower" stuff boring!!! So I'm finding it hard to slow up as I have so much energy!!!
    Good luck with your "maintenance"!!! Well done on your loss and achievement!!!
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am exercising 6 times a week, pretty intensely. It's become part of my lifestyle change and I love it. I actually think I'm addicted to cardio now. I feel "twitchy" if I don't row on my indoor rower for that day. I also run 3-5 miles on the weekends. So, yeah, I guess on those days I really have to load up on calories now. Thanks for all in input. Glad I'm not alone in this 'problem' (which is as they say: "A good problem to have.")
  • Ubiguchi
    Options
    I'm rapidly approaching this problem and was about to post when I saw this thread. The challenge of upping calories without decreasing exercise is indeed an excellent place to be, although it's obviously a pretty crucial step in the proceedings.

From what I've read in this thread I think I'm going to try the following, although I've still got a pound or so to go:

* Upping my juice intake
    * Eating berries and nuts as snacks
    * Slightly upping my portions.

Thanks all.
  • amakenm
    amakenm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem target was 180, went down to 170, decided to change my target to 175. I use coconut oil for energy, and a raw oatmeal/peanut butter (sometimes w cacao nibs) mix (all organic) to hit adjust my calories if I think I need more, I can't prepare/eat enough veggies, meats to meet my requirements some days. One problem I have is I feel awesome after a couple of days of light eating (well below target), I only do it a couple of days every week or two now. Dunno what's up with that.