5 weeks and nothing

Options

Replies

• Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is 2351. This includes exercising everyday.

This is how many calories it takes to maintain. To lose, you should drop about 15% to 20%, or 1880 @ 20%. This is still high since you don't have much to lose.

My suggestion would be, try eating closer to 1900 a day, instead of 1500.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but try it. I don't think you're eating enough to support your activity. Just try it for a month or two.

This,

And measure yourself. You said you look like you're toning up. If you're exercising a lot, you might not see as much movement on the scale. I know I hold on to a lot of water weight when I lift.
  • cameron316
    cameron316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You think that's possible?? I would think I still would've lost something... I could try but I'm afraid to gain weight since I haven't even lost any yet :/
  • cameron316
    Options
    Well I don't think I look much different and unfortunately my clothes fit the same, my parents say they can tell a difference though... But I have measured since the beginning and so far nothing different... Is it possible that it takes this long to lose weight?
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't very specific at all, I'm eating 1500 calories a day, haven't gone over that for 5 weeks and I'm not eating to compensate for exercise... I run, walk, elliptical, light resistance training, cycle, I do lots of exercise probably about 2 hours a day. I've been eating fruits veggies chicken ham occasionally red meat and fish and almonds. It's getting boring haha

If you're not eating to compensate for exercise you might be eating too little, making your body store weight.
    No, she is not going to just store weight. If she is in a deficit she will lose weight. If she is not losing weight then she is not in a deficit.

If she eats 1500 a day but burns off 600 she's only really eating 900 cal a day which is not healthy.

It's late and I don't feel like finding a .org source of information but this is taken from Livestrong:
    "If you consume less than 1,200 (for women), you may not be giving your body the fuel and nutrients it needs to stay healthy, which might be stalling your weight-loss. Consuming too few calories can force your body into starvation mode, causing it to hold onto fat and even slow your metabolism leading to stagnant weight loss."

Like others have said you could also be under estimating the amount of calories you eat and over estimating the amount of calories you burn.
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you are 5'8.5". You are already on the lower end of a healthy weight for your height. Losing 15 pounds would put you in the underweight bracket.

Maybe you should consider the fact that you are not being reasonable. You already look very fit. You might want to consider dropping the cardio, and if it's your Body shape you're unhappy with, try some weight training. While eating at Maintenance, or slightly below.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... I'm getting a bit discouraged because I've been eating basically paleo very strict and exercising 6 days per week consistently for 5 weeks now and still nothing changing on the scale or in measurments. I've definitely toned up a little but haven't shed a pound or inch, which is a bit frustrating. I'm a 22 year old female 5'8.5" and looking to lose about 15 pounds. Any advice? Thanks everyone!
    It's neat paleo is your thing, and that you are exercising six days a week, but if you are not eating at a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. From what you say in your post, I am concluding that you are assuming you are eating at a calorie deficit by the type of diet you chose. Am i correct?

In order to lose weight, you need to your calorie cap to lose .5 pounds a week (any more for 15 pounds will not be sustainable in the long term) and stay within that budget. You might also weigh your food, measure your liquids, log everything you eat and drink, log your exercise calories, and eat a portion of those exercise calories back.

Be patient as well, because 15 pounds is not much to lose at all.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    maybe you are not eating enough.
    It seems to me if she's not losing weight she's eating too much. Most likely a combination of not having much to lose anyway and overestimating food intake.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    maybe you are not eating enough.
    It seems to me if she's not losing weight she's eating too much. Most likely a combination of not having much to lose anyway and overestimating food intake.

But she's eating 1500 calories are working out 2 hours a day. Her net is probably sub-1,000. As I said, I think she needs to eat more.
    Jerry, certainly you could be right that she is eating too little, but I think she'd be losing weight. If your above calorie estimation were even close to correct, wouldn't she be passed out on the floor by now?

Which brings up something else- OP, have you had your thyroid checked?
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I'm normally of the same mind as you on thus topic for most. But, I have a feeling about this one.

I agree with GuitarJerry.

When you aren't eating enough you slow down your metabolism.

http://www.wcgh.org/how-to-understand-the-risks-of-eating-too-few-calories/
    "By no means should calorie intake go below 1200 calories per day. Dropping below this level causes the body to hang onto body fat as a way to protect itself against perceived starvation. This can make it very difficult to lose more weight and could cause health problems."
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you are 5'8.5". You are already on the lower end of a healthy weight for your height. Losing 15 pounds would put you in the underweight bracket.

Maybe you should consider the fact that you are not being reasonable. You already look very fit. You might want to consider dropping the cardio, and if it's your Body shape you're unhappy with, try some weight training. While eating at Maintenance, or slightly below.

QFT

Disclaimer: yes, I totally QFT'd my own post. *takes a bow*
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I think you can share your sample diet chart with us and 2 hours exercise per day is not required. 1 hour is sufficient if you are
    doing high intensity training.

For me i can burn lots of calories by doing burpees, mountain climber, jump rope, squats, lunges and push ups
    in a circuit training.

Drink 5-6 liters of water each day it really helps. Best of luck.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Did OP say that she weighs everything? Diary is closed.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 138 now I'd like to be at 125... I played college sports and I want to reshape my body some from that ya know lean out my muscles and lose some body fat... I know I have weight to lose I think that pic is a little out of proportion, I'm in good shape but I'd love to lose some and I'm determined but yeah maybe I should start measuring more carefully like suggested, I normally over compensate the amount but I guess measuring cups don't always work great...and I guess I don't see the point of eating back calories burned in exercise bc it seems like that defeats the purpose I guess

Bingo, there we go. Measuring cups should only be used for liquids. You need to weigh all solids. You're probably eating more than you think.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

QFT

Disclaimer: yes, I totally QFT'd my own post. *takes a bow*

I'll give you a legit QFT. :flowerforyou:

OP, if you want to body recomp, and it sounds like you do, eat at maintenance while consuming .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and start lifting heavy.

Here's an example of what heavy lifting can do to a physique. If this is what you're going for, get a program and get started. Going underweight probably isn't what's good for your health or your body goals.
    rdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • cameron316
    Options
    Well I don't really like eating paleo and exercising so much I'm just really trying to lose that college 15 and a successful trainer told me to do paleo... I haven't been sticking to it exclusively like I'll have coffee with creamer and sometimes rice or potatoes and some other snacks that aren't paleo, I'm just trying to eat less processed foods and not breads and stuff... I'm slightly confused now bc lots think I'm not eating enough and then some think I'm eating too much... I'll try and make my diary public... I don't have a food scale but I'll get one, sorry for the trouble everyone