I want to quit smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsolsonwaters3
    mrsolsonwaters3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What helped me was a "fake cigarette" or a vapor. Yes you can get the smoke juice with nicotine still in it, but without all the other ingredients of cigarettes its A lot better than still smoking! Plus its much easier to ween your way down to 0mg of nicotine.

I did this if I went out and was drinking, it helps!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Never smoked, but just want to say I am proud of every one of you for kicking the habit & sharing your stories. :love:
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies :)

My biggest problems are of course if I drink I want to smoke, boredom and the fact that my husband smokes. My husband doesn't want to quit and I'm fine with that. It's his choice but we do have a no smoking rule in the house so that will help. Even being a smoker I hate walking into someones house and only smelling cigarettes so we just never smoked inside. I have/had (it's in my house somewhere but we moved a couple of weeks ago and I still can't find it.) a vape and I really like it. I prefer it to cigarettes but I just haven't been able to locate it. I feel as if I'm just making excuses and I need to stop. Every morning I wake up and there is a pack in my car. If I throw it out I know there's another carton in the house and if I don't smoke any I can still smell them on my husband.
    I used to smoke two packs a day and quit in 93. A trick that worked for me was to bribe myself.

The cost of my habit was about 20 Euros a week, the price of a new CD at that time. On Saturdays I would buy myself a little gift with the cigarette money (typically a CD) and my contract with myself would be not to smoke for the rest of the week until the gift was paid off. As time passed, I would buy larger gifts associated to longer periods of not smoking, such as designer shoes with 3 months worth of cigarette money.

I think it helped to have some positive reinforcement. Mostly people only have negative reinforcement to quit smoking, such as not wanting to get lung emphysema or cancer, not wanting your clothes to stink, etc. Also being able to focus on short periods of time helped me.

Aegee - I really like that idea. I might try and do that. I like the idea of positive rewards.
    I quit smoking in September 2013 after a habit of nearly 40 years. I had wanted to quit for a long time and did quit a number of times, but never for long.

Then I lost my job.

All of my wonderful reasons to quit -- my family's pleadings, the health concerns -- all came together around money. I could no longer "financially" afford to smoke. I counted the cost and counted the savings. Enough.

And I quit anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes at a time. When a craving hit, I would take 3 slow deep breaths and repeat that until the craving passed. Those deep breaths were intentional to help me think about my lungs getting clearer each time I passed on having a cigarette.

You need to know that I loved smoking. Loved it. And I shed bitter tears on many days. I wished smoking was good for me, that there was a government program to give me cigarettes for free, and that people admired me for smoking ability.

I miss it from time to time...BUT, because I quit smoking I know that I can lose the rest of this weight. I have lost nearly 35 pounds in 108 days and I know that the remaining 70+ will also come off.

I quit smoking. I can do anything.

Thank you for that advice. I also LOVE smoking. I hate that I love it but even writing this makes me want to go smoke another. Starting Monday (I know, I know why not just quit now and just man up) I'm going to go cold turkey again.... and also hopefully over the next couple of days I can find my vape and life will be so much easier lol. (I have all 0.5 or 0 nicotine flavors) I did the patch, the gum, etc and none of those ever worked for me I think because I kept telling myself I wanted to quit but I knew I didn't really want.

If there's any other posters who are thinking about quiting does anyone want to be my "battle" buddy starting Monday? If not that's okay too I know I need to do this for myself.
  • mehwhatever
    mehwhatever Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 4 years ago. I found sucking on hard candy helped, kept my mouth busy. I must say though I only quit because my ex gave me an ultimatum. Only good thing the piece of crap did for me.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    I am in the same boat exactly! I wouldn't say 4 cigs a day is a lot though I have been working on quitting, having about 1 a day for a couple months and some days I don't have one but same as you, 2-3 days out I want one all of a sudden when I think I'm winning! haha

I find the same thing that I can pretend they dont exist until certain triggers. My mom who I'm stuck living with until I can get a job now that I'm done school is a chainsmoker and it makes it friggin impossible to kill the cravings because I'm always around her second hand smoke in the house. If I moved out I think I could do it. And alcohol of course is the worst trigger for me.

Do a lot of your friends smoke? I find it has been easier to stop since I don't hang out with any smokers any more. Obviously you can't lose friends over that but a lot of my friends have quit over the years as we have become adults. I try to tell myself only the teenage me would smoke and it helps a bit lol.

Maybe try quitting with a buddy IF its possible I think that makes it easier and think of all the money youll save and even keep track and then buy yourself something nice like clothes or a manicure or something :)
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Ohio all of my friends smoked. Now that I'm in a new area and only have 2 friends at the moment, neither of them smoke which is really helpful.
  • TenderWalnut
    TenderWalnut Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 packs of Marlboro Reds every day for almost 20 years. I quit April of 2013 and use a personal vaporizer now. If you have not looked into e-digs check em out.
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I quit by not buying cigarettes. It is really easy to not smoke when you have nothing to smoke.
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am about to take on this task next week (or maybe even this week) I am just ready to be done with it. I'm tired of spending the money, smelling like smoke, and being outed as a smoker. I already eat well and I exercise daily so I know that this is just holding me back from what my true goals are. If anyone wants to be a "no-smoke" buddy feel free to send me a friend request on here and we can kick the habit together!!
  • NicoleLFifield
    Options
    I am in the process also, I have tried many times in the past to quit and never made it longer than 6 weeks. The beginning of April I got myself a vapor pen and started on 18mg liquid, I am down to 3mg at this time and hoping to be done with it all very soon. The good thing about it is that I have not touched a cigarette since I got my vape and have not experienced any withdrawl symptoms at all (except the few days when I just think I want a real smoke) But everyone is different and quitting smoking is very hard. Just don't give up and don't quit quitting......If you slip up, forgive yourself and move forward......Now.....if there was only a way to give up on all the extra calories so easily life would be great! :)
  • Dugie86
    Dugie86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit Nov 8th of last year after my husband had a massive heart attack. I used Chantix for about 6 weeks and I'm positive it helped me quit. Now I very rarely even think of smoking and when I do I remind myself that I'm a non smoker. It really is mental after the initial few days. Just do it! Good Luck.
  • sitnomore
    sitnomore Posts: 2
    Options
    I quit May 3rd this year after 10 years. I found watching the videos and all the information at WhyQuit.com was VERY helpful. Only thing I will say is they don't want you to use anything other than will power to quit and I used WEllbutrin b/c I had bad experience with Chantix in the past. They insist on no nicotine at all of any kind and I agree with that. The Wellbutrin helped in that it took the pleasure away from smoking. Only 7 week but I almost never think of it anymore. Only used the Wellbutrin for a few weeks b/c it affected my sleeping.

You can do it, if I can you can.
  • karinmelanie
    Options
    When I quit smoking two years ago I started running at the same time which made it really easy not to smoke.
  • Safety_Princess
    Options
    When I quit, finally, after smoking for many many years (started out as an 'only when I drink' thing for all of you that do just that), I was so ticked off at myself for not having done it sooner. I got so much money back, so much time back...and really helped me set priorities in my life. Some friends are no longer as close a friend; had no idea that smoking was sometimes the big link in relationships. Weird. Anyway, what worked for me was finally realizing that I didn't just have to decide to quit once. I had to decide to quit a million times. So that if I messed up, all was not lost. Keep making those good choices...kind of like eating healthy. Little by little, good choices can get you healthy. Best of luck to all of you thinking about quitting!!!