Anyone NOT work out and still lose?

Options
I am being benched from all cardio (except swimming and upper body weights) for awhile. My fitness has me at 1480 calories. Do you think I should lower it some? I just dont get that much out of swimming cardio wise. After today no drinking for me till my MRI results are back but I am so worried I will balloon up. This couldnt come at a worse time with Halloween candy in the house and Holidays coming up

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You sure can lose weight without exercise, there is still a calorie deficit worked in for you. Besides, swimming is better exercise than you might think. Enjoy the break!
  • junebug523
    Options
    How much does 1480 calories have you losing per week? Remember, you don't need to lose quickly. This process is about discovering how your body responds to the changes you are making. A deficit is still a deficit, especially if you are eating the right foods (i.e. fruits and veggies, high fiber, protein, good fats, low sodium). I eat an average net of 1400-1500 calories a day (more if I exercise), and I'm actually losing more now than I was when I was limiting myself to a net of 1200 per day.

Also, I would consider it a success to just make it through the holidays and maintain, if nothing else! Even if you don't lose, at least you don't gain either!
  • katrinavw
    Options
    I haven't worked out this whole week but ate regularly and healthy, I still lost 3 pounds at the end of the week
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am being benched from all cardio (except swimming and upper body weights) for awhile. My fitness has me at 1480 calories. Do you think I should lower it some? I just dont get that much out of swimming cardio wise. After today no drinking for me till my MRI results are back but I am so worried I will balloon up. This couldnt come at a worse time with Halloween candy in the house and Holidays coming up

You will need to be strict with yourself regarding calorie intake, other than that, it is perfectly possible to lose weight without working out.

Why do you say that about swimming? I am curious because, a solid hour of swimming can burn 600 calories or more. Brilliant exercise, even if you feel it is not doing anything, believe me it is. It really could be you answer if you are the sort of person that will get exercise withdrawal symptoms x
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are weeks that I don't feel like exercising so I don't but I make sure to keep my calories in check and I've still lost weight. The working out is just an added bonus that allows you to eat a bit more and burn more calories to possibly loose faster. Relax and don't worry, keep track of your calories and see what happens to your weight.
  • mary020378
    Options
    walking is also the best exercise you can do. Just portion your foods and stay at or below your daily calorie intake.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You should be fine since you are still able to do the upper body and swimming. Just FYI, though, anything done in the water will burn more calories then a HRM will say because the heart rate is naturally slowed in the water. So, you may feel like you aren't working hard, but you are actually working harder muscle wise because of the increased resistance of the water over the resistance of the air but without the impact to the joints that can cause or irritate injuries.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm not able to get down to a gym, but have lost all the weight through diet alone - and sticking to 1400-1600 cals at that. I lead a relatively active life, looking after my two toddlers, walking lots and generally being "on the go".

When I first started, I lost weight quickly - probably about 1lb a week, then I plateaued and lost next to nothing for a few months... I've just totted up my weight-loss and over the last couple of months, since breaking through the plateau, I've lost about 1/2lb per week (1kg/ month), but that's a/ without really pushing things and b/ being very close to my goal!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost my first 22lbs just counting calories and no exercise. MFP gave me 1430 cals and it still worked fine. I have had to start exercising now that I'm close to my goal because the weight loss had really slowed down without it.
    Good luck!