Perimenopause Anyone?!?

Options
I recently was diagnosed by my family physician with Perimenopause and don't know that much about it. My doctor did tell me that it would be harder for me to lose weight because of it though which I find depressing, lol... My Pharmacist recommended a supplement which I got today that should at least help with a couple of my bothersome symptoms (night sweats and hot flashes) I hope! I was just wondering if any of you are going through this and if you had any suggestions diet and exercise-wise for me. It would be much appreciated! :)

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing about perimenopause/menopause and it being harder to lose weight, and have experienced that first-hand.

I am not perimenopausal, but do have amenorrhea due to eating issues. Therefore, my body thinks I am in menopause, so I have the same issues losing weight that women in perimenopause or menopause have. I am currently about 11 pounds heavier than I would like to be, but that weight is just not coming off the way I would like to see it come off.

I'm sorry to not have better feedback.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I have heard the same thing about perimenopause/menopause and it being harder to lose weight, and have experienced that first-hand.

I am not perimenopausal, but do have amenorrhea due to eating issues. Therefore, my body thinks I am in menopause, so I have the same issues losing weight that women in perimenopause or menopause have. I am currently about 11 pounds heavier than I would like to be, but that weight is just not coming off the way I would like to see it come off.

I'm sorry to not have better feedback.

No, no, thanks for replying! It helps just knowing that others are experiencing similar things! :)
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    You can start peri up to 10 years (or more) before actual menopause starts! Go over to powersurge dot com, it is a great site for woman either pre, in actual menopause or post!! I am considered peri also, I have anxiety, occasional hot flashes, horrible mood swings, hair loss....blah, blah, blah :smile: I have not had an issue losing weight, though. But it is a symptom, unfortunately. Also, the closer to 40 you are, the slower your metabolism gets :mad: Such is life!! Try some herbs (check out Whole Foods or your local health food store), there are some good, natural ways to get through this!:flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am peri also. All I can say is thank god I am not having the hot flashes and night sweats anymore! I did find a product that helped, no drugs or suppliments involved...if you can find it. Look in the first aid isle in the drug store, look for the gel wrap for sprains and strains. It is kinda icky feeling, but slap a couple inch chunk of that on the back of your neck or inside your bra (its not wet at all).

Now if the hit and miss periods would stop.....
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have hormone issues. I haven't been diagnosed as perimenopause, but when I don't workout, I have all the symptoms. When I was a teenager, I developed a breast lump. Apparently excess estrogen can cause breast cancer and other female cancers. I had it removed at age 20 and have not had any other breast cancer symptoms since, but I have had endometriosis, cysts, and fibroids ever since I was 22. At 28, they started me on hormones to stop my periods and lower my estrogen levels. I basically went into full menopause from the medications. They worked for about 6 months and then as soon as I was taken off of them (as they aren't approved for long term use) all of my pain symptoms came back. The doctors then tried various combinations of birth control pills and antidepressants until I thought I was going nuts. Eventually, I ended up having an endometrial ablation surgery. So, I'm off of all the meds, but don't have a period because of the ablation. The only way I can control the pain of the fibroids (which are back 4 years after the surgery) is to workout like a mad woman. I have to lift heavy, do long bouts of cardio, and stretch daily to ease the muscle soreness from the workouts. Since I'm not allowed to take any of the supplements or eat soy, due to the possible increase in estrogen raising my risk of another lump or the fibroids turning cancerous, I pretty much have to use exercise to keep my hormone levels balanced.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    You can start peri up to 10 years (or more) before actual menopause starts! Go over to powersurge dot com, it is a great site for woman either pre, in actual menopause or post!! I am considered peri also, I have anxiety, occasional hot flashes, horrible mood swings, hair loss....blah, blah, blah :smile: I have not had an issue losing weight, though. But it is a symptom, unfortunately. Also, the closer to 40 you are, the slower your metabolism gets :mad: Such is life!! Try some herbs (check out Whole Foods or your local health food store), there are some good, natural ways to get through this!:flowerforyou:

Hey, thanks for the info! The supplement I bought today has black cohosh and some other herbs that are supposed to be good, so I will give it a month to see a change like my Pharmacist suggested and I will DEFINITELY check out the site you just recommended! :)
  • ErickaJos
    ErickaJos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I've been perimenopausal (sp?) for 3-4 years now. I did gain 30 lbs from the emotional eating, hormal imbalance, etc... but I managed to overcome it all by getting on a rigorous exercise regimen - it took 1 year to lose the weight and it is a constant struggle for me.

I have been taking premphase for 18 months but will discontinue it due to the recent news of high risk of breast cancer in women who take this drug. With the meds I am symptom free but I know the hot flashes and night sweats will return about a month after I stop. I've heard that soy products are very helpful. I will definitely give them a try.

You can certainly lose the weight; you just have to work harder than others. Don't get discouraged. Good luck on your journey!
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I've been perimenopausal (sp?) for 3-4 years now. I did gain 30 lbs from the emotional eating, hormal imbalance, etc... but I managed to overcome it all by getting on a rigorous exercise regimen - it took 1 year to lose the weight and it is a constant struggle for me.

I have been taking premphase for 18 months but will discontinue it due to the recent news of high risk of breast cancer in women who take this drug. With the meds I am symptom free but I know the hot flashes and night sweats will return about a month after I stop. I've heard that soy products are very helpful. I will definitely give them a try.

You can certainly lose the weight; you just have to work harder than others. Don't get discouraged. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much! :)
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I'm peri menopausal and hyper sensitive to meds and supplements. We may have similar symptoms and genetics that make us unique. I handle things differently than my sister and she's had some female complications that I haven't had to deal with. Here's my take for the symptoms that I've had to deal with:

1. night flashes...I noticed that with an increase of caffeine, even decaf coffee, I will have night flashes. I don't drink decaf coffee anymore and I enjoy a hot 10 oz cup of coffee every morning. I just don't miss the diet dr pepper or sodas any more. We keep cold green tea in the fridge for another beverage. I make peppermint tea or other teas as fits my mood. Normally, I don't add anything to them but if I'm in the mood will add some raw honey.

2. anxiety...I have noticed an increase of anxiety for about the last 3 years. At first, I thought it was part of a burn out that I was going through but now I think it's mostly the peri menopause. Sometimes, I just panic a little about being in groups at conventions, etc. Or if company is coming over, I can get the food prepared but lack in my presentation and have panicked while company was waiting. I've just chosen to enjoy this time at home and do have a few parties planned over the holidays and will do the best I can to have everything planned out a head of time so I can enjoy the parties. My husband is very supportive and doesn't pressure me to attend events that will make me feel nervous. This too shall pass in time ;0)

3. Weight...I have a tummy pouch that I'm eager to shrink. Metabolism is dependent upon muscle tone. The more muscle, the better the metabolism. I do not have the motivation that I used to have 10 years ago. I'm ok with that. I have more motivation to be consistent. I've made healthy changes and I'm willing to stick with it. I have conquered pms and do very well after my period...however, I have not yet conquered my eating during my period. Perhaps, had I been at home during this last period and not at an all you can eat resort, I may have had success! lol I got home yesterday and have been a good girl again today :D It's not that I ate unhealthy, I just ate too much.

I'm managing and controlling my moods and physical body with diet and exercise. Really, I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. Unlike you, I love to cook. I love knowing that what I'm feeding my family is good for them. We are less likely to be grouchy, moody or sleepless when eating well.
  • mrsclaus54
    Options
    Hello,
    I too am perimenopausal and have a real tough time with so many symptoms. I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis which add to the problems...I have many symptoms as I have said and definately weight is a huge one! I quit smoking a few years ago and never got that weight off. I walk as much as I can ( approx 4-6 hours per week), I water run at least 30 minutes twice a week, and some hand weights and stretches at home. The peri adds to my pain so it is not always easy to exercise, but I try hard. (I also am an emotional eater and with peri emotions are a big mess)
    Swimming makes a huge difference and I notice when I miss it a few times both in weight and pain (not to mention stress levels). Supplements I take to help are Flax, Salmon oil, B12, Calcium (with D and magnesium) all of which do help some. I heard Black cohash works and primrose. Soy is NOT recommended anymore because it can cause more problems than it helps.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! @Funnygirl0940, yes we sound almost exactly the same symptom-wise! I too have anxiety and panic, but mine is part of my Bipolar disorder which only adds fuel to the fire! My mood swings are probably more having to do with my Bipolar, but I don't know for sure.

@ mrsclaus54, I use to swim and desperately need to get back into it! It helps with my depression and anxiety just peacefully doing laps and resistance in the pool!